TranscriptStream characterLimit?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

The TranscriptStream characterLimit was set by Dan Ingalls 20 years
ago to 20'000 characters.

characterLimit
        "Tell the views how much to retain on screen"
        ^ 20000

Could this be set to a higher value or made a preference which can
easily be found?

Regards
Hannes

Re: TranscriptStream characterLimit?

marcel.taeumel
Hi Hannes,

it has been a preference since Nov 2017, instroduced by Eliot. See:

TranscripStream class >> characterLimit:
TranscripStream class >> characterLimit

Best,
Marcel

Am 14.01.2019 15:10:22 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

Hello

The TranscriptStream characterLimit was set by Dan Ingalls 20 years
ago to 20'000 characters.

characterLimit
"Tell the views how much to retain on screen"
^ 20000

Could this be set to a higher value or made a preference which can
easily be found?

Regards
Hannes

Re: TranscriptStream characterLimit?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Marcel

Thank you for the info, this is helpful.
I encountered the issue while updating a Squeak 6.0a-17330 image ....

The reason is to preserve  the full record of the update history in
the Transcript.
The image I am working with still has original characterLimit.

Regards
Hannes

On 1/14/19, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
> it has been a preference since Nov 2017, instroduced by Eliot. See:
>
> TranscripStream class >> characterLimit:
> TranscripStream class >> characterLimit
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>
> Am 14.01.2019 15:10:22 schrieb H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
> Hello
>
> The TranscriptStream characterLimit was set by Dan Ingalls 20 years
> ago to 20'000 characters.
>
> characterLimit
> "Tell the views how much to retain on screen"
> ^ 20000
>
> Could this be set to a higher value or made a preference which can
> easily be found?
>
> Regards
> Hannes

Re: TranscriptStream characterLimit?

marcel.taeumel
Ah, okay. Sure, you can change this method as you need for the update process. Should work.

Best,
Marcel

On 1/14/19, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>
> it has been a preference since Nov 2017, instroduced by Eliot. See:
>
> TranscripStream class >> characterLimit:
> TranscripStream class >> characterLimit
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>
> Am 14.01.2019 15:10:22 schrieb H. Hirzel :
> Hello
>
> The TranscriptStream characterLimit was set by Dan Ingalls 20 years
> ago to 20'000 characters.
>
> characterLimit
> "Tell the views how much to retain on screen"
> ^ 20000
>
> Could this be set to a higher value or made a preference which can
> easily be found?
>
> Regards
> Hannes

Re: TranscriptStream characterLimit?

David T. Lewis
There is also a preference for "Redirect transcript to stdout" that
can be useful for keeping a record of the updates.

Dave