Tree-like workspace

Offray
Hi all,

I'm reading with great joy, various pharo/smalltalk related books to get
a glimpse of what is available. I started with PBE and almost finished,
then the Seaside Tutorial by HPI and the Moose. I'm just browsing them
and make some things here and there using the Pharo image and workspaces
to create documentation. Now I'm reading the Master Thesis "Scripting
Browsers with Glamour" by Phillip Bunge and as I read about MVC this part:

Reenskaug, however, never intended for the breaking of encapsulation
that the pattern promotes. He wrote later that the “top level goal was
to support the user’s mental model of the relevant information space and
to enable the user to inspect and edit this information.”

I think that I want the same: support my own mental model when I'm
exploring Pharo/Smalltalk. I have been a long user of Leo[1] mostly for
documentation related matters and I would like to have this kind of
tree-like WorkSpace in Pharo, instead of the plain one provided by
default. So I will continue the reading of the thesis, but I would like
to know if there is any package that can provide this support for my
"leo alike mental of documentation" inside Pharo. If this is not the
case, I think that trying to create this "TreeSpace" in replace of the
usual WorkSpace will be my first projects.

[1] http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html

Please let me know any thoughts or advices about this idea.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Tree-like workspace

Igor Stasenko
On 2 August 2011 19:52, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm reading with great joy, various pharo/smalltalk related books to get a
> glimpse of what is available. I started with PBE and almost finished, then
> the Seaside Tutorial by HPI and the Moose. I'm just browsing them and make
> some things here and there using the Pharo image and workspaces to create
> documentation. Now I'm reading the Master Thesis "Scripting Browsers with
> Glamour" by Phillip Bunge and as I read about MVC this part:
>
> Reenskaug, however, never intended for the breaking of encapsulation that
> the pattern promotes. He wrote later that the “top level goal was to support
> the user’s mental model of the relevant information space and to enable the
> user to inspect and edit this information.”
>
> I think that I want the same: support my own mental model when I'm exploring
> Pharo/Smalltalk. I have been a long user of Leo[1] mostly for documentation
> related matters and I would like to have this kind of tree-like WorkSpace in
> Pharo, instead of the plain one provided by default. So I will continue the
> reading of the thesis, but I would like to know if there is any package that
> can provide this support for my "leo alike mental of documentation" inside
> Pharo. If this is not the case, I think that trying to create this
> "TreeSpace" in replace of the usual WorkSpace will be my first projects.
>
> [1] http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
>
> Please let me know any thoughts or advices about this idea.

I think you should take a look on Nautilus project (Ben, can you
provide link/instructions?).
It using trees instead of lists to display contents in browser.

But i puzzled, what are use of trees in workspace? Maybe you meant browser?
Because by looking at screenshots [1], it is closely similar to browser.
Workspace in smalltalk is just a text editing area where you can type
small snippets of code and then evaluate them.
I see no way where trees could be of any use in workspace.

[1]http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/screen-shots.html

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Tree-like workspace

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)

On Aug 2, 2011, at 8:04 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

[...]

https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Nautilus/

:)

The tree-based browser is Nautilus (Nautilus2 is more basic)

If someone has some questions, I will be glad to answer :)

Ben

It using trees instead of lists to display contents in browser.

But i puzzled, what are use of trees in workspace? Maybe you meant browser?
Because by looking at screenshots [1], it is closely similar to browser.
Workspace in smalltalk is just a text editing area where you can type
small snippets of code and then evaluate them.
I see no way where trees could be of any use in workspace.

[1]http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/screen-shots.html

Cheers,

Offray

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Tree-like workspace

TedVanGaalen
Hi there

Well, perhaps you like this idea
(ideas are easier that programming, are they? :o)

what about a workspace with
on the left a tree pane
with in the tree: saved workspaces
grouped under workspace "categories"

e.g.

aWorkspaceTree
  +-aWorkspaceCategory
   - aSavedWorkspace
   - anotherSavedworkspace
 +-yetAnotherWorkSpaceCategory
    -yetAnotherSavedWorkspace
    ..
+

Greetings
Ted

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Benjamin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2011, at 8:04 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
> On 2 August 2011 19:52, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>

> I'm reading with great joy, various pharo/smalltalk related books to get a
>
> glimpse of what is available. I started with PBE and almost finished, then
>
> the Seaside Tutorial by HPI and the Moose. I'm just browsing them and make
>
> some things here and there using the Pharo image and workspaces to create
>
> documentation. Now I'm reading the Master Thesis "Scripting Browsers with
>
> Glamour" by Phillip Bunge and as I read about MVC this part:
>
> Reenskaug, however, never intended for the breaking of encapsulation that
>
> the pattern promotes. He wrote later that the “top level goal was to support
>
> the user’s mental model of the relevant information space and to enable the
>
> user to inspect and edit this information.”
>
> I think that I want the same: support my own mental model when I'm exploring
>
> Pharo/Smalltalk. I have been a long user of Leo[1] mostly for documentation
>
> related matters and I would like to have this kind of tree-like WorkSpace in
>
> Pharo, instead of the plain one provided by default. So I will continue the
>
> reading of the thesis, but I would like to know if there is any package that
>
> can provide this support for my "leo alike mental of documentation" inside
>
> Pharo. If this is not the case, I think that trying to create this
>
> "TreeSpace" in replace of the usual WorkSpace will be my first projects.
>
> [1] http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
>
> Please let me know any thoughts or advices about this idea.
>

> I think you should take a look on Nautilus project (Ben, can you
> provide link/instructions?).
>
> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Nautilus/
> :)
> The tree-based browser is Nautilus (Nautilus2 is more basic)
> If someone has some questions, I will be glad to answer :)
>
> Ben
>
> It using trees instead of lists to display contents in browser.
>
> But i puzzled, what are use of trees in workspace? Maybe you meant browser?
> Because by looking at screenshots [1], it is closely similar to browser.
> Workspace in smalltalk is just a text editing area where you can type
> small snippets of code and then evaluate them.
> I see no way where trees could be of any use in workspace.
>
> [1]http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/screen-shots.html
>

> Cheers,
>
> Offray
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Tree-like workspace

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
It's not really hard to do, but I do not really get why it's interesting to have such a behavior

I mean, personally, when I use workspace, it's for junk programming (it write code quickly, test it)
So usually, I test my code in a workspace before putting it into a method (or it was just for test, and I do not care anymore).

But maybe you do not use the workspace the same way ;)

Ben

On Aug 2, 2011, at 9:52 PM, Ted F.A. van Gaalen wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> [1] http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
>>
>> Please let me know any thoughts or advices about this idea.
>>

>> I think you should take a look on Nautilus project (Ben, can you
>> provide link/instructions?).
>>
>> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Nautilus/
>> :)
>> The tree-based browser is Nautilus (Nautilus2 is more basic)
>> If someone has some questions, I will be glad to answer :)
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> It using trees instead of lists to display contents in browser.
>>
>> But i puzzled, what are use of trees in workspace? Maybe you meant browser?
>> Because by looking at screenshots [1], it is closely similar to browser.
>> Workspace in smalltalk is just a text editing area where you can type
>> small snippets of code and then evaluate them.
>> I see no way where trees could be of any use in workspace.

Re: Tree-like workspace

You should have a look at TreeMorph and friends.
I'm sure that you can build a leo based system.
The timeProfiler is also an example of how to use the TreeMorph
Stef

On Aug 2, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I'm reading with great joy, various pharo/smalltalk related books to get a glimpse of what is available. I started with PBE and almost finished, then the Seaside Tutorial by HPI and the Moose. I'm just browsing them and make some things here and there using the Pharo image and workspaces to create documentation. Now I'm reading the Master Thesis "Scripting Browsers with Glamour" by Phillip Bunge and as I read about MVC this part:
>
> Reenskaug, however, never intended for the breaking of encapsulation that the pattern promotes. He wrote later that the “top level goal was to support the user’s mental model of the relevant information space and to enable the user to inspect and edit this information.”
>
> I think that I want the same: support my own mental model when I'm exploring Pharo/Smalltalk. I have been a long user of Leo[1] mostly for documentation related matters and I would like to have this kind of tree-like WorkSpace in Pharo, instead of the plain one provided by default. So I will continue the reading of the thesis, but I would like to know if there is any package that can provide this support for my "leo alike mental of documentation" inside Pharo. If this is not the case, I think that trying to create this "TreeSpace" in replace of the usual WorkSpace will be my first projects.
>
> [1] http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
>
> Please let me know any thoughts or advices about this idea.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray

Re: Tree-like workspace

Igor Stasenko
On 2 August 2011 21:58, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's not really hard to do, but I do not really get why it's interesting to have such a behavior
>

> I mean, personally, when I use workspace, it's for junk programming (it write code quickly, test it)
> So usually, I test my code in a workspace before putting it into a method (or it was just for test, and I do not care anymore).
>

> But maybe you do not use the workspace the same way ;)

Same for me. I treat workspace in same way - for "fire and forget"
coding. So, personally, i don't feel much need for improving it and
introducing more than it has.

But well, providing the way for organizing multiple workspaces could
be useful. For very organized persons :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Tree-like workspace

Janko Mivšek
S, Igor Stasenko piše:

>> But maybe you do not use the workspace the same way ;)

> Same for me. I treat workspace in same way - for "fire and forget"
> coding. So, personally, i don't feel much need for improving it and
> introducing more than it has.
>
> But well, providing the way for organizing multiple workspaces could
> be useful. For very organized persons :)

Introduce tabs to workspace, with possibility to name them. VisualWorks
has that and I actually find that useful.

Because some scripts you write are usefull later too, and many times, so
it is not bad idea to save them soewhere. Not yet in some methods in
some class, but simply on workspace. And to avoid clutter of workspace
windows opened, tabs come again to rescue!

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: Tree-like workspace

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Janko Mivšek wrote
Because some scripts you write are usefull later too, and many times, so
it is not bad idea to save them soewhere. Not yet in some methods in
some class, but simply on workspace. And to avoid clutter of workspace
windows opened, tabs come again to rescue!
You can also use Script Manager for this, which seems similar to what the OP requested. It's annoying to work in because there is no syntax highlighting, autocomplete, or smart ({" completion, but it works fine for saving and organizing snippets.

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Tree-like workspace

Offray
Hi Igor,

Thanks for your advice.

El 02/08/11 13:04, Igor Stasenko escribió:

[...]
> I think you should take a look on Nautilus project (Ben, can you
> provide link/instructions?).
> It using trees instead of lists to display contents in browser.
[...]

I will see Nautilus after reading more about Glamour.

> But i puzzled, what are use of trees in workspace? Maybe you meant browser?
> Because by looking at screenshots [1], it is closely similar to browser.
> Workspace in smalltalk is just a text editing area where you can type
> small snippets of code and then evaluate them.
> I see no way where trees could be of any use in workspace.
>
> [1]http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/screen-shots.html

The screenshot you find was for the use of Leo as a programming
environment, but it can be also used for documentation using
reStructuredText fluidly  I'm kind of a compulsive documentator. I have
used previously Leo mainly for documentation and not for programming
because I'm not a programmer, but I think that is time to learn it and I
want to do it with Pharo/Smalltalk (but keeping python in my belt anyway
because of it uses in another fields of my interest). One of the things
I like more about Leo is the fact that you can organize any kind of
information in a integrated emergent tree and has a nice feature, called
"Clones" so the same nodes in a tree can be put in an arbitrary place
and be changed in synchrony, creating different ways of see the
information inside the tree.

In contrast with this experience, workspaces look and feel a lot plain.
I'm using them to document my learning in Pharo/Smalltalk and I create
different workspaces for this preliminary exploration: one for Seaside,
one for Aida, One for Moose, and one for PBE. They include not only code
snippets but also text, not the kind of text that you will put on
classes of methods, but the one that you will put on a blog post,
interchanging text and code snippets. Thats why I want to create a tree
like workspace. I will keep you posted and made the usual newbie questions.

Thanks,

Offray

Re: Tree-like workspace

Offray

El 02/08/11 15:08, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:
> You should have a look at TreeMorph and friends.
> I'm sure that you can build a leo based system.
> The timeProfiler is also an example of how to use the TreeMorph
> Stef

Thanks. As a newbie, I think that I'm not quite ready to browse the
classes and methods and start from there, so I will use Glamour and the
thesis from Phillip Bunge as an starting point for this exploration,
putting questions here when they come. Having comprehensive
documentation is a good thing for any complex tool we want to learn and
is a joy to read things like PBE, Seaside Tutorial and the Glamour
Thesis. I hope to read most docs like these and hopefully help also with
its creation.

Cheers,

Offray

Ps: there also a lot of good blogs in the Smalltalk noosphere. May be in
the links of the Pharo page we should put this social part of the
project and community.

Re: Tree-like workspace

Offray
Hi Ted,

I'm thinking in something like this. I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Offray

El 02/08/11 14:52, Ted F.A. van Gaalen escribió:

> [...]
>>
>> [1] http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
>>
>> Please let me know any thoughts or advices about this idea.
>>

>> I think you should take a look on Nautilus project (Ben, can you
>> provide link/instructions?).
>>
>> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Nautilus/
>> :)
>> The tree-based browser is Nautilus (Nautilus2 is more basic)
>> If someone has some questions, I will be glad to answer :)
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> It using trees instead of lists to display contents in browser.
>>
>> But i puzzled, what are use of trees in workspace? Maybe you meant browser?
>> Because by looking at screenshots [1], it is closely similar to browser.
>> Workspace in smalltalk is just a text editing area where you can type
>> small snippets of code and then evaluate them.
>> I see no way where trees could be of any use in workspace.

Re: Tree-like workspace

Marcus Denker-4

On Aug 3, 2011, at 11:09 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Ps: there also a lot of good blogs in the Smalltalk noosphere. May be in the links of the Pharo page we should put this social part of the project and community.

Yes, good idea.

Do you have a list?

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Tree-like workspace

Offray
Hi,

El 04/08/11 00:36, Marcus Denker escribió:

> On Aug 3, 2011, at 11:09 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>>

>> Ps: there also a lot of good blogs in the Smalltalk noosphere. May be in the links of the Pharo page we should put this social part of the project and community.
>>

> Yes, good idea.
>
> Do you have a list?
>
> Marcus

Here are some I like most: