Trippy suggestion ...

Dennis smith-4
I just made the following change to trippy ...

Wherever it shows "-self" as the key, it now shows
       -self <1234>
where 1234 is the identityHash of the object (omitted for obvious things
like small-integer, character, true/false).

I don't know how many times I have had to check to see if objects in two
inspectors (arrived at from
different points of view) are in fact the same object, and typing
    self identityHash
is a nuisance.

--
Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com

RE: Trippy suggestion ...

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Shouldn't this be an extra attribute in the inspector though,

-self #:  'Hello, World'
-hash:  53445520
-identity:  14590
1:  72
2:  101
3:  108
4:  108
5:  111
6:  44
7:  32
8:  87
9:  111
10:  114
11:  108
12:  100

Attached is a file-out to make this happen,

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Object-inspectorExtraAttributes.st (592 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Trippy suggestion ...

kobetic
Dennis Smith wrote:

> I just made the following change to trippy ...
>
> Wherever it shows "-self" as the key, it now shows
>       -self <1234>
> where 1234 is the identityHash of the object (omitted for obvious things
> like small-integer, character, true/false).
>
> I don't know how many times I have had to check to see if objects in two
> inspectors (arrived at from
> different points of view) are in fact the same object, and typing
>    self identityHash
> is a nuisance.

Note that there's Tools>Compare To Clipboard... in Trippy too. So you
inspect the first object and do Copy on it. And then you inspect the
other object and do compare. You can also drag objects from Trippy into
the Workspace assigning them to some workspace variables and then do
anything with them in workspace code.

Re: Trippy suggestion ...

Reinout Heeck

On Jun 16, 2006, at 6:50 PM, Boris Popov wrote:

> Shouldn't this be an extra attribute in the inspector though,
>
> -self #:  'Hello, World'
> -hash:  53445520
> -identity:  14590
> 1:  72
> 2:  101

> Attached is a file-out to make this happen,

I'm wary about having #hash computed for any class of object, it can
be broken in interesting ways.

  I think it should be protected in ways similar to #printString
since it can throw exceptions, be circular or sometimes downright
slow....

-

Re: Trippy suggestion ...

Dennis smith-4
Yes -- I was aware of it and had used it a few times, but it was
cumbersome when there were
two inspectors being used -- and I wanted a quick way to visually know
if the objects were the same.

We tend to have hierarchies of business objects in collections
    collection of Customers containing collections of orders containing
collections of order items .....
and business objects can exist in multiple collections -- so when
diagnosing a problem we often need
to know -- are these two collections the same, are these two business
objects the same.  You might be
looking via a GUI or via one hierarchy and you go and look at another
one and think you got to the same point ....

Martin Kobetic wrote:

> Dennis Smith wrote:
>
>> I just made the following change to trippy ...
>>
>> Wherever it shows "-self" as the key, it now shows
>>       -self <1234>
>> where 1234 is the identityHash of the object (omitted for obvious
>> things like small-integer, character, true/false).
>>
>> I don't know how many times I have had to check to see if objects in
>> two inspectors (arrived at from
>> different points of view) are in fact the same object, and typing
>>    self identityHash
>> is a nuisance.
>>

> Note that there's Tools>Compare To Clipboard... in Trippy too. So you
> inspect the first object and do Copy on it. And then you inspect the
> other object and do compare. You can also drag objects from Trippy
> into the Workspace assigning them to some workspace variables and then
> do anything with them in workspace code.

--
Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
400-10 Commerce Valley Dr E                Fax: +1 905.771.6288
Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com

Re: Trippy suggestion ...

Dennis smith-4
The disadvantage to that is that I have to click on it to see it --
making it part of the key makes
it always visible.  I have a few things in my custom trippy inspectors
that do that (e.g. size of a collection,
status of a business object).