Troubles using Pharo 2.0 one-click package on a secured WinXP

Troubles using Pharo 2.0 one-click package on a secured WinXP

Thomas Bany
Hi !

I'm quite new to Smalltalk and and so far, I've used Pharo on a regular XP system and everything went well. I'll add that my image occupy ~40 Mo in memory.

I've recently tried to deploy my small app on the target system which is a very seccured package of WinXP. I can't help much on describing the specificities of the system as I'm just the user. But the system is cleared of unused services, there is a lot of account auditing, temporary files are explicitly written off the disk at logoff and so on.

When launching the VM, I'm offered to choose an image to open and the following happen (I monitor the launching using the task manager) :
¤ The first ~40 Mo are quickly allocated in memory
¤ More memory is slowly allocated to the Pharo.exe process
¤ After ~5 min, 100Mo allocated and counting, I stop the process and never get to see the Pharo GUI

Is there a way for me to trace/dump what the VM is doing and maybe get help here to make my app work ?

Complementary information :
¤ I made a very crappy deployement: due to recent restrictions, I could not download a fresh and clean Pharo image. I picked the cleanest I had used, removed the various tutorial packages I had made (LOCell and stuff ;) and loaded the Monticello package of my little app.
¤ The target system run on a VM (with something like VSphere). My understanding is that we have a cheap virtualization setup which is not adapted at all for XP.

Re: Troubles using Pharo 2.0 one-click package on a secured WinXP

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Mun Mun <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Is there any PharoDebug.log next to the .image file?

Are you sure the .sources is in the correct place and found when running?

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Troubles using Pharo 2.0 one-click package on a secured WinXP

Thomas Bany
I found the source of the issue and it was because some files were imported on the system in Read Only mode. Funny enough, there were allready a PharoDebug.log from my dev environement weighting arround 20 Mo: removing the file permited to launch the Pharo GUI but with a lot of file opening failure and some code missing. It hinted me to the solution.

Thanks for your time anyway !

Btw, it's the first time I use a mailling list and I wanted to answer to my own question to save the hassle of other readers. I'm not sure how you can do that without having received an answer.

[...]

Guillermo Polito

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Mun Mun <[hidden email]> wrote:
I found the source of the issue and it was because some files were imported on the system in Read Only mode. Funny enough, there were allready a PharoDebug.log from my dev environement weighting arround 20 Mo: removing the file permited to launch the Pharo GUI but with a lot of file opening failure and some code missing. It hinted me to the solution.

Thanks for your time anyway !

Btw, it's the first time I use a mailling list and I wanted to answer to my own question to save the hassle of other readers. I'm not sure how you can do that without having received an answer.

Thanks for that, actually :).

BTW, It would be nice to have a nice message and a clean quit instead of such ugly behavior... So, could you develop more? :)

Guille

[...]

pay attention that also virus checker can think pharo is a virus because it modifies the change file.

Stef

On Aug 6, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Mun Mun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm quite new to Smalltalk and and so far, I've used Pharo on a regular XP system and everything went well. I'll add that my image occupy ~40 Mo in memory.
>
> I've recently tried to deploy my small app on the target system which is a very seccured package of WinXP. I can't help much on describing the specificities of the system as I'm just the user. But the system is cleared of unused services, there is a lot of account auditing, temporary files are explicitly written off the disk at logoff and so on.
>
> When launching the VM, I'm offered to choose an image to open and the following happen (I monitor the launching using the task manager) :
> ¤ The first ~40 Mo are quickly allocated in memory
> ¤ More memory is slowly allocated to the Pharo.exe process
> ¤ After ~5 min, 100Mo allocated and counting, I stop the process and never get to see the Pharo GUI
>

> Is there a way for me to trace/dump what the VM is doing and maybe get help here to make my app work ?
>

> Complementary information :
> ¤ I made a very crappy deployement: due to recent restrictions, I could not download a fresh and clean Pharo image. I picked the cleanest I had used, removed the various tutorial packages I had made (LOCell and stuff ;) and loaded the Monticello package of my little app.
> ¤ The target system run on a VM (with something like VSphere). My understanding is that we have a cheap virtualization setup which is not adapted at all for XP.

Re: Troubles using Pharo 2.0 one-click package on a secured WinXP

Thomas Bany
So I did a bit of testing (on the nominal XP system) and set back my files in read-only mode and the result is:

¤ I only had troubles with PharoDebug.log and the *.changes file
¤ If PharoDebug.log is in read-only, the image keep loading up to a point I never reached.
¤ If the changes file is in read-only mode, I get some startup error due to the impossibility of opening the file. Also, after executing some code in a workspace (which succeed), I get a failure with StandardFileStream>>primSize regarding log writing.

2013/8/6 Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]>

[...]

EstebanLM

On Aug 7, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Mun Mun <[hidden email]> wrote:

So I did a bit of testing (on the nominal XP system) and set back my files in read-only mode and the result is:

¤ I only had troubles with PharoDebug.log and the *.changes file
¤ If PharoDebug.log is in read-only, the image keep loading up to a point I never reached.

yes, this is like that because you have an error, system tries to write it in PharoDebug.log, then fail who is another error which it is tried to be written again in PharoDebug.log... and like that until infinite :)

¤ If the changes file is in read-only mode, I get some startup error due to the impossibility of opening the file. Also, after executing some code in a workspace (which succeed), I get a failure with StandardFileStream>>primSize regarding log writing.

you can disable the check in preferences browser.
notice that then, all changes you made to the system will not be properly saved... is usually not a problem when you are going to production environments (your image should not change in that case, normally)

cheers,
Esteban