Try DBJr (HyperCard-like stacks in Lively Kernel)

Try DBJr (HyperCard-like stacks in Lively Kernel)

Ted Kaehler-2

DynaBook Junior (DBJr) is an end-user authoring system in the
tradition of HyperCard, SuperCard, and Visual Basic.  If you remember
HyperCard, you will recognize the concept of a page, a background,
and a stack.  Load this page in Chrome:

http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/TedKaehler/DBJr%20stack.xhtml

DBJr lets you store information freeform without the restrictions of
a database.  You customize the action of a button by writing a
script.  It is even possible to make games and other
mini-applications.

The world has a demo stack that explains DBJr.  You can make a new stack with
$world.get("Stack").demo()

 From that stack, you can use the user interface to add and delete
pages, drop in morphs of any kind, and move morphs to the background.

I built DBJr originally in Squeak, and ported it to Lively Kernel.
Many thanks to the Liver Kernel team.

--Ted Kaehler.  (Viewpoints Research)

Re: Try DBJr (HyperCard-like stacks in Lively Kernel)

Curt Cox
LK DB Jr looks interesting and I have all sorts of questions.  Is there a more appropriate forum to discuss it specifically?

Re: Try DBJr (HyperCard-like stacks in Lively Kernel)

Roeder, Marko
Why not use the page/world and discuss it ;-)?
In case you do not have an account, sign up at http://www.lively-kernel.org/trac and then you should be able to add discussion TextMorphs to the world (and save it).

Best,

        - Marko

On May 1, 2012, at 1:51 PM, Curt Cox wrote:

> LK DB Jr looks interesting and I have all sorts of questions.  Is there a more appropriate forum to discuss it specifically?

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Try DBJr (HyperCard-like stacks in Lively Kernel)

Bert Freudenberg
Are you suggesting this would be off-topic on this list? I for one would like to see the discussion happening right here.

- Bert -

On 01.05.2012, at 13:56, Roeder, Marko wrote:

> Why not use the page/world and discuss it ;-)?
> In case you do not have an account, sign up at http://www.lively-kernel.org/trac and then you should be able to add discussion TextMorphs to the world (and save it).
>
> Best,
>
> - Marko
>

> On May 1, 2012, at 1:51 PM, Curt Cox wrote:
>
>> LK DB Jr looks interesting and I have all sorts of questions.  Is there a more appropriate forum to discuss it specifically?

Re: Try DBJr (HyperCard-like stacks in Lively Kernel)

Casey Ransberger-2
Given that the context here is DBJr in Lively Kernel, this is the right place I think. But if what you're looking for is to understand where it all comes from, you can find lots of good stuff hiding here:

http://vpri.org/html/writings.php

Everything on this page is worth reading. There's a lot of context and rationale supplied in the yearly status reports, but if you're feeling adventurous, check out this one straight away:

http://www.vpri.org/pdf/m2011001_dbjr_spec.pdf

The above link is to a high level specification of what DynaBook Jr. is.

It's worth noting that the previous (Squeak) implementation has been discussed elsewhere; I can't recall if it was on the FONC list or on squeak-dev. I usually google on "Ted Moshi image" to find that.

But yeah, this is about LK so let's hang out here:)

On May 1, 2012, at 4:51 AM, Curt Cox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> LK DB Jr looks interesting and I have all sorts of questions.  Is there a more appropriate forum to discuss it specifically?

Re: Try DBJr (HyperCard-like stacks in Lively Kernel)

Casey Ransberger-2
HyperCard, for every computer. Holy cow!

Oh the times they are a-changin'...

On Apr 30, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Ted Kaehler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> DynaBook Junior (DBJr) is an end-user authoring system in the tradition of HyperCard, SuperCard, and Visual Basic.  If you remember HyperCard, you will recognize the concept of a page, a background, and a stack.  Load this page in Chrome:
>
> http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/TedKaehler/DBJr%20stack.xhtml
>
> DBJr lets you store information freeform without the restrictions of a database.  You customize the action of a button by writing a script.  It is even possible to make games and other mini-applications.
>
> The world has a demo stack that explains DBJr.  You can make a new stack with
> $world.get("Stack").demo()
>
> From that stack, you can use the user interface to add and delete pages, drop in morphs of any kind, and move morphs to the background.
>
> I built DBJr originally in Squeak, and ported it to Lively Kernel. Many thanks to the Liver Kernel team.
>
> --Ted Kaehler.  (Viewpoints Research)

Re: Try DBJr (HyperCard-like stacks in Lively Kernel)

Astrid Thomschke-2
Hi everyone -

I once built a HyperCard implementation in LivelyKernel myself, which
can be found here:
http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/projects/BP2012/IPadPresentationPages/Hypercard.xhtml
.
Initially this was supposed to be a demo implementation to see how
good LivelyKernel works on iPad - or more how well our progress on
bringing LivelyKernel to the iPad is going (I'm part of a bachelors
project which implements collaborative and mobile features). However,
thinking about the functionality of the background, it kind of ended
up in implementing morph diffing and merging for the PartsBin, which
is still WIP...

- Astrid

On 2 May 2012 21:49, Casey ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HyperCard, for every computer. Holy cow!
>
> Oh the times they are a-changin'...
>
> On Apr 30, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Ted Kaehler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> DynaBook Junior (DBJr) is an end-user authoring system in the tradition of HyperCard, SuperCard, and Visual Basic.  If you remember HyperCard, you will recognize the concept of a page, a background, and a stack.  Load this page in Chrome:
>>
>> http://lively-kernel.org/repository/webwerkstatt/users/TedKaehler/DBJr%20stack.xhtml
>>
>> DBJr lets you store information freeform without the restrictions of a database.  You customize the action of a button by writing a script.  It is even possible to make games and other mini-applications.
>>
>> The world has a demo stack that explains DBJr.  You can make a new stack with
>> $world.get("Stack").demo()
>>
>> From that stack, you can use the user interface to add and delete pages, drop in morphs of any kind, and move morphs to the background.
>>
>> I built DBJr originally in Squeak, and ported it to Lively Kernel. Many thanks to the Liver Kernel team.
>>
>> --Ted Kaehler.  (Viewpoints Research)

Re: Try DBJr (HyperCard-like stacks in Lively Kernel)

alanone1
Hi Astrid

This is nice! We should join forces -- we actually need a "DBjr" kind of media that can make "universal pages" i.e. anything desktop publishing can do, but also programmable ...

Cheers,

Alan