Try to load Pier2 into Pharo1.4

Damir Majer
Hi experts,

proceeding following steps I try to load Pier2 into Pharo1.4
https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo%201.4/job/Pharo%201.4/

> execute Metacell-Script:
Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfPier2';
        load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2) load.

After all I want to Start the Seaside Control Panel (World-Menu->Tools->Seaside Control Panel) but there is no Control-Panel there...

Did I miss something?
Is Pier2 only running on an Pharo1.3 image? (I found on the piercms-Site only an Pharo1.3+Pier2 Image)

Best regards,
Damir
Damir Majer
... be agile: www.majcon.de

Re: Try to load Pier2 into Pharo1.4

Cameron Sanders
I am very much a newb at some of these tools, and probably missed the beginning of this thread, and I am probably offering information you don't want... but let me say: Pier3 loaded fine in 1.4 (update: #14438) . Note that Magritte3 requires a few changes from Magritte2, but those changes make it cleaner and prepare you for the future. -Cam

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfPier3';
load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier3) load.

Gofer it
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfPier3AddOns';
load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier3AddOns) load.

-----
--
Damir Majer
... be agile: www.majcon.de

Re: Try to load Pier2 into Pharo1.4

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Damir Majer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi experts,

proceeding following steps I try to load Pier2 into Pharo1.4
> Download the latest Pharo Image from Jenkins Server
https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo%201.4/job/Pharo%201.4/
<https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Pharo%201.4/job/Pharo%201.4/>

> execute Metacell-Script:
Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfPier2';
        load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2) load.

After all I want to Start the Seaside Control Panel
(World-Menu->Tools->Seaside Control Panel) but there is no Control-Panel
there...

Hi. It just means that what you are installing does not includes the package that has the control panel.
You are sending class side #load. If you check the method it does   "self project stableVersion load".
So you are loading the #stableVersion and the default group. To know what you are exactly loading, you can check in the ConfigurationOfPier2 to see what it includes.
Or you can "simulate" the loading and see what it loads. So if you print:

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPier2) project stableVersion ---->>> record. a MetacelloNullRecordingMCSpecLoader(linear load :
linear load : 2.0.9 [ConfigurationOfPier2]
load : ConfigurationOfSeaside30
linear load : 2.0.9 [ConfigurationOfPier2]
load : ConfigurationOfMagritte2
linear load : 2.0.9 [ConfigurationOfPier2]
load : ConfigurationOfMagritte2
linear load : 2.0.9 [ConfigurationOfPier2]
linear load : 3.0.1 [ConfigurationOfSeaside30]
load : ConfigurationOfGrease
linear load : 3.0.1 [ConfigurationOfSeaside30]
linear load : 1.0.1 [ConfigurationOfGrease]
load : Grease-Core-pmm.51
load : Grease-Pharo-Core-pmm.31
load : Seaside-Core-pmm.666
load : Seaside-Pharo-Core-pmm.9
load : Seaside-Canvas-pmm.101
load : Seaside-Pharo-Canvas-lr.3
load : Javascript-Core-lr.88
load : Javascript-Pharo-Core-DaleHenrichs.9
load : Prototype-Core-lr.23
load : Scriptaculous-Core-lr.97
load : JQuery-Core-lr.111
load : JQuery-UI-lr.69
linear load : 2.0.6 [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]
load : ConfigurationOfGrease
linear load : 2.0.6 [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]
load : ConfigurationOfSeaside30
linear load : 2.0.6 [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]
linear load : 3.0.1 [ConfigurationOfSeaside30]
load : Seaside-Component-pmm.85
load : Seaside-HTML5-lr.11
load : Seaside-Session-pmm.134
load : Seaside-RenderLoop-lr.72
load : Seaside-Tools-Core-jf.18
load : Seaside-Flow-jf.22
load : Seaside-Widgets-obi.18
load : Seaside-Environment-pmm.71
load : Seaside-Pharo-Environment-lr.6
load : Seaside-Pharo-Continuation-lr.5
load : Seaside-Pharo-Flow-lr.5
load : Magritte-Model-lr.404
load : Magritte-Morph-lr.53
load : Magritte-Pharo-Model-lr.22
linear load : 2.0.6.1 [ConfigurationOfMagritte2]
linear load : 1.0.7 [ConfigurationOfGrease]
load : Grease-Core-NickAger.70
load : Grease-Pharo-Core-NickAger.49
linear load : 3.0.7 [ConfigurationOfSeaside30]
load : Seaside-Core-NickAger.768
load : Seaside-Pharo-Core-NickAger.16
load : Seaside-Component-jok.92
load : Seaside-Canvas-pmm.117
load : Javascript-Core-lr.90
load : Prototype-Core-lr.25
load : Scriptaculous-Core-pmm.102
load : JQuery-Core-lr.123
load : JQuery-UI-lr.80
load : Seaside-HTML5-pmm.28
load : Seaside-Session-pmm.157
load : Seaside-RenderLoop-lr.73
load : Seaside-Tools-Core-lr.19
load : Seaside-Flow-pmm.23
load : Seaside-Widgets-lr.26
load : Seaside-Environment-NickAger.77
load : Magritte-Seaside-lr.342
load : Magritte-Pharo-Seaside-lr.5
load : Pier-Model-NickAger.421
load : Pier-Pharo-Model-lr.3
load : Pier-Seaside-NickAger.526
load : Pier-Pharo-Seaside-lr.5
load : Pier-Security-NickAger.180
load : Pier-Pharo-Persistency-TudorGirba.20)

As you can see, it doesn't load the package you need. So you can download that manually, or first try to load Seaside alone (with ConfigurationOfSeaside3), making sure to load a group that includes that package, and then you load ConfigurationOfPier2. I think (but I am not sure) that ConfigurationOfPier2 always expected that you load seaside before...if you see in the above list of packages, seaside gets loaded (part of it) just because of dependencies of grease and magritte, but not for Pier itself....
Finally, Notice that it is VERY GOOD (from my point of view) that ConfigurationOfPier2 does not load the panel by default because it depends on OmniBrowser, and the latter is not supported in all platforms.

Cheers,

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Try to load Pier2 into Pharo1.4

Damir Majer
Hi Cam, hi Mariano,

thanks for your replies.
As I understand, it seem´s that Pier2 is not stable (ready?) for the new Pharo1.4 because of the OmniBrowser Dependencies.

So I guess, that I have to use Pier3 with the latest Pharo1.4/2.0 to get an stable version of Pier?

Cheers,
Damir
Damir Majer
... be agile: www.majcon.de

Re: Try to load Pier2 into Pharo1.4

Cameron Sanders
Damir,

I would help if I could, but I don't know enough to answer your question. Hence the private answer.

 What I know is this: early in the summer, when I was trying to upgrade from Pharo 1.2 to a modern version of Pharo, and gain simple DB connectivity (via glorp), I had a difficult time getting the few packages I needed to all play well together. My needs were simple: Pier for the seaside and magritte, and glorp, and Fuel. I found that I could only work with a very lean image to avoid conflicts: raw-release + pier3 + glorp + opendbx + fuel. Now I have a stable image, and I won't change a thing for a year... or until I hear that 2.0 is stable.

Pharo 2.0 looks like it has a nice set of tools!

Magritte3 moved the xxxDescription methods to the instance side, and it uses pragmas, so the name matters less. (Not at all? i don't recall.) Overall, it was an improvement in the name space and so I am glad I spent the couple of days learning the new tools and converting/upgrading.

You might be hitting the same namespace problems that I hit related to Magritte3. The problem is #description ...  -- i forget the details.

Nick Ager was quite helpful pointing to a video showing how to upgrade from Magritte2 to 3.

Good Luck!

-Cam

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]> wrote:
Damir,

I would help if I could, but I don't know enough to answer your question. Hence the private answer.

 What I know is this: early in the summer, when I was trying to upgrade from Pharo 1.2 to a modern version of Pharo, and gain simple DB connectivity (via glorp), I had a difficult time getting the few packages I needed to all play well together. My needs were simple: Pier for the seaside and magritte, and glorp, and Fuel. I found that I could only work with a very lean image to avoid conflicts: raw-release + pier3 + glorp + opendbx + fuel.

I know that feeling, that's why I suggest everybody to have their own ConfigurationOfXXX.

Now I have a stable image, and I won't change a thing for a year... or until I hear that 2.0 is stable.

Cameron, if you finally go to production with your app, let us know so that we can add you to: http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier/software/Fuel/Software-using-Fuel
:)

Pharo 2.0 looks like it has a nice set of tools!

Magritte3 moved the xxxDescription methods to the instance side, and it uses pragmas, so the name matters less. (Not at all? i don't recall.) Overall, it was an improvement in the name space and so I am glad I spent the couple of days learning the new tools and converting/upgrading.

You might be hitting the same namespace problems that I hit related to Magritte3. The problem is #description ...  -- i forget the details.

Nick Ager was quite helpful pointing to a video showing how to upgrade from Magritte2 to 3.

yes, and he gave a presentation at ESUG 2012 and at PharoConf. But I think there are no videos :(