Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trying to change the color of the window

kilon.alios
I am trying to make a dark theme for pharo. So I was studying the subclasses of UITheme class. As a first step I want to darken the color of the windows , so I used newDefaultSettings class method to change the color, and I saw no effect. I also even tried to use the right arrow drop down menu that has an entry with window color and still I see no effect. 

Is this a bug ? 

I think I remember this used to work in Pharo 3. 

I am on Pharo 3 and using image 30753 which I fetched today with PharoLauncher.

I would like to also ask if there is any documentation of themes and morphic around to help me customize the look its something really crucial for my project Ephestos and I would hate having to recreate Morphic from scratch to do this. Because as it is I find it very hard to understand the methods of UITheme. 
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trying to change the color of the window

philippeback

Esteban has started a dark theme based on Darcula.

I am eager to see/get some code based on that as a dark theme is really interesting for me due to eye problems.

I tried with 2.0 but frankly, it is a massive mess to get things to diplay properly.

One thing I did to see where things where happening is that I made Color white to respond something like a nuclear green instead of white and see where it was showing.

Then you can pick the morphs and browse them. That's where you start crying.

3.0 should be in a better shape.

Phil

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am trying to make a dark theme for pharo. So I was studying the subclasses of UITheme class. As a first step I want to darken the color of the windows , so I used newDefaultSettings class method to change the color, and I saw no effect. I also even tried to use the right arrow drop down menu that has an entry with window color and still I see no effect. 

Is this a bug ? 

I would like to also ask if there is any documentation of themes and morphic around to help me customize the look its something really crucial for my project Ephestos and I would hate having to recreate Morphic from scratch to do this. Because as it is I find it very hard to understand the methods of UITheme. 

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
In reply to this post by kilon.alios
Looks like colors have got a significant change...

So, try:

Color registerColor: (Color r: 0.0 g:1.0 b:0.0) named: #white.

and things will be very green.

Phil

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is this a bug ? 

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Chambers-4
In reply to this post by kilon.alios
Hi.
The default settings are remembered in a class instance variable so that they can be changed according to (user) preference.

If you make a change to #newDefaultSettings you should send #resetDefaultSettings to your theme class
so that they get reinitialized when next required (when an instance of your theme is next created).

Hope that helps.

Regards, Gary
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 3:51 PM
Subject: [Pharo-dev] Trying to change the color of the window

Is this a bug ? 

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios

"Esteban has started a dark theme based on Darcula.

I am eager to see/get some code based on that as a dark theme is really interesting for me due to eye problems.

I tried with 2.0 but frankly, it is a massive mess to get things to diplay properly.

One thing I did to see where things where happening is that I made Color white to respond something like a nuclear green instead of white and see where it was showing.

3.0 should be in a better shape."

yes its really a huge pile of mess this Morphic and close to no documentation does not make it any easier. It looks like I will not be avoiding creating my own GUI API on top of Athens which has some minimum documentation. Which will make my project tons of work or I will have to port probably back to python and using something like PyQT. I love Pharo  and enjoy coding in it, but libraries are seriously hard to use because they are very messy and with very little to none documentation.

I remember Esteban's dark theme, but I think it was more like an experiment than an ongoing project. 

"Looks like colors have got a significant change...

So, try:

and things will be very green."

it would not be making much difference because I am not using color names but RGB values. Also I tried your approach, and though I can change white to another color and see the effect on window the color of the window remains unchangeable and I tried all types of Greys. By the way the veryVeryDarkGrey message had me laughing a lot. I propose the additions of the veryVeryVeryVeryVeryDarkGray and superDuperUberMaxGrey to be on the safe side :D 

"Hi.
The default settings are remembered in a class instance variable so that they can be changed according to (user) preference.

If you make a change to #newDefaultSettings you should send #resetDefaultSettings to your theme class
so that they get reinitialized when next required (when an instance of your theme is next created).

Hope that helps.

Regards, Gary"

Two problem with your proposition

a) None of the theme classes use this message in the initialisation 

b) MNU

maybe a Pharo 2 message that went MIA ?

In any case I continue to study Morphic and see what will come out of this, not so pleasant , experience. Thank you all for your help. 
Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

On 10 Feb 2014, at 21:11, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

yes its really a huge pile of mess this Morphic and close to no documentation does not make it any easier. It looks like I will not be avoiding creating my own GUI API on top of Athens which has some minimum documentation. Which will make my project tons of work or I will have to port probably back to python and using something like PyQT. I love Pharo  and enjoy coding in it, but libraries are seriously hard to use because they are very messy and with very little to none documentation.

I remember Esteban's dark theme, but I think it was more like an experiment than an ongoing project. 

oh well… is ongoing but with my times… I don’t know when I will be able to continue it :(

Esteban

So, try:

it would not be making much difference because I am not using color names but RGB values. Also I tried your approach, and though I can change white to another color and see the effect on window the color of the window remains unchangeable and I tried all types of Greys. By the way the veryVeryDarkGrey message had me laughing a lot. I propose the additions of the veryVeryVeryVeryVeryDarkGray and superDuperUberMaxGrey to be on the safe side :D 

"Hi.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Gary"

b) MNU

In any case I continue to study Morphic and see what will come out of this, not so pleasant , experience. Thank you all for your help. 

Reply | Threaded
|

philippeback
What I noticed is that some parts are using the Theme but the only theme that provides them is the Watery one.

So, the rest looks like hardcoded.

Esteban, do you have some kind of changeset ?

Phil

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

oh well… is ongoing but with my times… I don’t know when I will be able to continue it :(

Esteban

So, try:

"Hi.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Gary"

b) MNU

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
yes I feared that things would be hard coded. 

But the Vistary theme dramatically changes the look of the windows, so it cant be that hard coded. Unless windows treat Vistary theme in some special way but I find that doubtful. 

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:22 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
What I noticed is that some parts are using the Theme but the only theme that provides them is the Watery one.

So, the rest looks like hardcoded.

Esteban, do you have some kind of changeset ?

Phil

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Esteban

So, try:

"Hi.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Gary"

b) MNU