Trying to install Pharo Non Core Packages from online instructions.

Trying to install Pharo Non Core Packages from online instructions.

Victor
Hi,

I'm trying to set up Pharo Non Core Packages from the online instructions I found while reading this: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/Pharo-Non-Core-Packages/?_s=EsEMhY54b-mcYFMW&_k=3zFruWTkOJUr_OF8&_n&50

Unfortunately I get an error, as the attached image shows:

Inline image 1

What I have done, is selected all of the code and "done it", I've also tried selecting only the Gopher part and do that first, then do the second part, but it's at the second part that it crashes.

Any tips?

Many thanks,

Victor Stan

Schedule me:

Re: Trying to install Pharo Non Core Packages from online instructions.

Yanni Chiu
On 01/04/13 9:17 PM, Victor Stan wrote:

> I'm trying to set up Pharo Non Core Packages from the online
> instructions I found while reading this:
> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/Pharo-Non-Core-Packages/?_s=EsEMhY54b-mcYFMW&_k=3zFruWTkOJUr_OF8&_n&50

If you open a Repository browser on
squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository, and look at the latest
ConfigurationOfPharoNonCore, the date is 10 June 2011.

What image version are you using? It's a good idea to use an image of
similar vintage, if you're trying to follow online doc's, because things
are constantly changing. Unfortunately, the configuration and versioning
tools are evolving as we go, so things are not as stable as it should be.

Re: Trying to install Pharo Non Core Packages from online instructions.

Ben Coman
You are probably expecting the #load message to be sent to the result of
#version:,  but what actually happens is #load is sent to the string
'1.1.1' and strings do not understand #load.

A unary message (#load) is evaluated before a binary message (+) is
evaluated before keyword message (#version:) .

cheers -ben

Victor Stan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up Pharo Non Core Packages from the online instructions I
> found while reading this:
> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/Pharo-Non-Core-Packages/?_s=EsEMhY54b-mcYFMW&_k=3zFruWTkOJUr_OF8&_n&50
>
> Unfortunately I get an error, as the attached image shows:
>

> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> What I have done, is selected all of the code and "done it", I've also
> tried selecting only the Gopher part and do that first, then do the second
> part, but it's at the second part that it crashes.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Victor Stan
>
> Schedule me:
> http://quicklyschedule.quicklyschedule.me/victor
>
> Add me to your address book - it's easy!
> http://contactmonkey.com/victor

Re: Trying to install Pharo Non Core Packages from online instructions.

Marcus Denker-4
Hello,

This is a package for some very old version of Pharo, it makes no sense in current versions as the code it loads
does not work in current versions of Pharo.

Someone should update the editable book.

Marcus

On Apr 2, 2013, at 3:18 AM, Victor Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to set up Pharo Non Core Packages from the online instructions I found while reading this: http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/Pharo-Non-Core-Packages/?_s=EsEMhY54b-mcYFMW&_k=3zFruWTkOJUr_OF8&_n&50

Unfortunately I get an error, as the attached image shows:

<image.png>

Schedule me:

Schedule me:

Re: Trying to install Pharo Non Core Packages from online instructions.

Victor
Thanks, I have changed it to be:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharoNonCore) project version: '1.1.1') load.

Which allows me to move on from that point, but I get stuck on another issue now...

Inline image 1

Haven't had much change to look into beyond this point.

Victor Stan

Schedule me:

Victor Stan wrote:
[...]

So it seems that "Preferences" is a class in the Compatibility package/collection, and it has no methods at all...

I guess this is a dead end for this package?

I'n learning along, I appreciate your patience :)

Victor Stan

Schedule me:

On Apr 5, 2013, at 4:08 AM, Victor Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

So it seems that "Preferences" is a class in the Compatibility package/collection, and it has no methods at all...

I guess this is a dead end for this package?

I'n learning along, I appreciate your patience :)

Hi, as I already said: This is code for a very old version of Pharo that will just *not* work in a current version.
"ConfigurationOfPharoNonCore" is not maintained for quite a while, it's all old versions that are loaded.

Marcus

On Apr 5, 2013, at 7:12 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 5, 2013, at 4:08 AM, Victor Stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

So it seems that "Preferences" is a class in the Compatibility package/collection, and it has no methods at all...

I guess this is a dead end for this package?

I'n learning along, I appreciate your patience :)

Hi, as I already said: This is code for a very old version of Pharo that will just *not* work in a current version.
"ConfigurationOfPharoNonCore" is not maintained for quite a while, it's all old versions that are loaded.

Why do you want to load it?

Marcus

Re: Trying to install Pharo Non Core Packages from online instructions.

Victor

Wanted to play around with audio api.
Is there a way to get a description of what each package does in the configuration browser? I just see the name, which I have to Google to figure out what it does.

Victor Stan