Trying to understand Developing with Pharo, Deploying with Gemstone/s

Trying to understand Developing with Pharo, Deploying with Gemstone/s

sergio_101

I have an app that is ready to deploy to alpha. I usually do this by creating a script that builds a minimal pharo image, and run that on a cloud server.

I then use TelePharo to make any live tweaks that need to happen, and something like:

./pharo Pharo.image "/run/the/script"

to keep run cron jobs, etc.

I would like to start using Gemstone/s.

I got GsDevKithome up and running, with no problems, but I am having a little bit of trouble figuring out how to proceed. I get what tODE is doing, but I don’t get how to do the things I normally do:

  • I got Seaside installed in the image, but I need several other packages in my install: JSON, Soup, AWS S3, etc. How do I go about installing those?
  • How do I install my main package? It’s in an Iceberg project.
  • How do I update my Iceberg project while it’s live?

I think those questions will get me into beta pretty quickly.

Thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: Trying to understand Developing with Pharo, Deploying with Gemstone/s

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Terse description how to load project is here:
https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/projectsInTode.md#creating-a-new-project

They are preparing Tonel support for Gemstone and something new for managing projects.

Also subsctibe Glass mailing list, there are discussions about this topic sometimes:

Loading code and projects into Gemstone - it's more like "do it yourself" or use tODE from GsDevKit_home (open source project, but completely unofficial, supported by "Dale").

pf

> I have an app that is ready to deploy to alpha. I usually do this by
> creating a script that builds a minimal pharo image, and run that on a
> cloud server.
>
> I then use TelePharo to make any live tweaks that need to happen, and
> something like:
>
> ./pharo Pharo.image "/run/the/script"
>
> to keep run cron jobs, etc.
>
> I would like to start using Gemstone/s.
>
> I got GsDevKithome up and running, with no problems, but I am having a
> little bit of trouble figuring out how to proceed. I get what tODE is
> doing, but I don’t get how to do the things I normally do:
>
>    - I got Seaside installed in the image, but I need several other
>    packages in my install: JSON, Soup, AWS S3, etc. How do I go about
>    installing those?
>    - How do I install my main package? It’s in an Iceberg project.
>    - How do I update my Iceberg project while it’s live?
>
> I think those questions will get me into beta pretty quickly.
>
> Thanks!
>

> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> Public Key: http://bit.ly/29z9fG0
> #BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
> http://www.codeandmusic.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101

Re: Trying to understand Developing with Pharo, Deploying with Gemstone/s

HilaireFernandes

Off topic. Do you have a receipt to buid from a minimal image?

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Trying to understand Developing with Pharo, Deploying with Gemstone/s

sergio_101
Yes..

I created a little script I can run, minus the parts to load up the iceberg project…

On February 9, 2019 at 12:05:47 PM, Hilaire ([hidden email]) wrote:

Off topic. Do you have a receipt to buid from a minimal image?
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: Trying to understand Developing with Pharo, Deploying with Gemstone/s

Pierce Ng-3
On Sat, Feb 09, 2019 at 01:15:43PM +0100, Petr Fischer via Pharo-users wrote:
> yourself" or use tODE from GsDevKit_home (open source project, but
> completely unofficial, supported by "Dale").

Gemstone has Gofer. I develop on Pharo, save to .mcz using Monticello
and then 'Gofer it' via a Pharo 3 image running Tode to load into
Gemstone. Dale is updating Tode so that Pharo versions 6 and 7 should
now or soon run Tode.

Gemstone also does Git.

Pierce

Re: Trying to understand Developing with Pharo, Deploying with Gemstone/s

sergio_101
Ah.. i think i get it.

I just want to get this image running on the web.. I think that’s a little bit more rabbit hole than I want to tackle right now.

On February 9, 2019 at 7:58:04 PM, Pierce Ng ([hidden email]) wrote:

Gemstone has Gofer. I develop on Pharo, save to .mcz using Monticello
and then 'Gofer it' via a Pharo 3 image running Tode to load into
Gemstone. Dale is updating Tode so that Pharo versions 6 and 7 should
now or soon run Tode.
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: Trying to understand Developing with Pharo, Deploying with Gemstone/s

HilaireFernandes
Are you starting from a minimal pharo image (the ~5MB)?

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Trying to understand Developing with Pharo, Deploying with Gemstone/s

Dale Henrichs-3

Hello Sergio,

Sorry for the delay in replying .. too many balls in the air:) I'll comment in-line ..

On 2/8/19 7:07 AM, sergio ruiz wrote:

I have an app that is ready to deploy to alpha. I usually do this by creating a script that builds a minimal pharo image, and run that on a cloud server.

I then use TelePharo to make any live tweaks that need to happen, and something like:

./pharo Pharo.image "/run/the/script"

to keep run cron jobs, etc.

I would like to start using Gemstone/s.

I got GsDevKithome up and running, with no problems, but I am having a little bit of trouble figuring out how to proceed. I get what tODE is doing, but I don’t get how to do the things I normally do:

  • I got Seaside installed in the image, but I need several other packages in my install: JSON, Soup, AWS S3, etc. How do I go about installing those?

I assume that you used the following tODE command to install Seaside, following these instructions[1]?

project install --url=http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/Seaside32.ston

The url in the command resolves to a project entry for Seaside32, that looks like this:

^ TDProjectSpecEntryDefinition new
    baseline: 'Seaside3'
      repository: 'filetree://$GS_HOME/shared/repos/Seaside/repository'
      loads: #('Zinc Project' 'Welcome' 'Development' 'Examples');
    installScript:
        'project clone --https --local Seaside3
      project install --local --url=http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/GsApplicationTools.ston';
    gitCheckout: 'master';
    status: #(#'inactive');
    locked: true;
    yourself

The `installScript` is run by the `project install` command and causes the two projects to be cloned into your shared git repository area. The project entries for both projects are also dropped to a common disk location and will show up in your `project list` as unloaded projects in all of the stones you create, so the `install` only needs to be done once.

I'm pointing this out because you can use the `project entry` command to create project entries in the "common disk location" by using the `project entry` command ... here's the man page obtained by doing `man project entry` (`man project` will list all of available `project` commands):

NAME
  project entry - Create a new project entry

SYNOPSIS
  project entry --baseline=<project-name> --repo=<project-repo> [--loads=<load-expression>] \
                <project-path>
          entry --config=<project-name> [--version=<project-version>] \
                --repo=<project-repo> [--loads=<load-expression>] <project-path>
          entry --git=<project-name> [--repo=<git-repo-path>] <project-path>
          entry --url=<url-for-project-entry.ston> <project-path>

DESCRIPTION
  The project entry specifies project options used by the `project list` window.

  A project entry can be created for loaded projects or for projects that have
  yet to be loaded.

  There are three basic types of project entry: Git, Metacello, and HTTP.

  Git Project Entries
  -------------------
  For Git project entries you define the name of the project and the location on
  disk where the git repository is located. For example:

    project entry --git=projectHome --repo=$GS_HOME /sys/local/server/projects

  Metacello Project Entries
  -------------------------
  For Metacello project entries you define the name of the project, the type of
  the project (baseline or configuration), the repository where the baseline or
  configuration may be found, and (optionally) the package/project/groups to be loaded.
  For configurations, you also specify the version of the project to be loaded. For example:

    project entry --config=External                          \
                  --version=1.0.0                            \
                  --repo=http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/external \
                  --loads=`#('Core')`                      \
                  /sys/local/server/projects

    project entry --baseline=External                                    \
                  --repo=github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository \
                  /sys/local/server/projects

  If you don't specify a `--loads` option, the 'default' group is loaded. Once you have
  created a project entry, you may change or add attributes. For example, you may want to
  change the status to #inactive.

  HTTP Project Entries
  --------------------
  For HTTP project entries, you an download an existing project entry from a web-site. For
  example:

    project entry --url=http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/Seaside31.ston \
                  /sys/stone/projects

  Downloads a project entry from http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/Seaside31.ston
  into the /sys/stone/projects node.

  Once a project is loaded, only changes to the loads specification, locked
  attribute and active attribute may have an effect. The remaining information
  is taken directly from the loaded project itself.

  Any changes you make will take effect after the project list is refreshed.

  If there is already a project with the same project name in your project list, the download
  will be skipped.

  If this command is run as a result of a project entry install script, the project path of the
  outermost project entry (i.e., the project that initiated the original install script) is used
  instead of the <project-path>.

Project Entry Attributes

  status
    When a project entry is initially created, the status is set to #active. Active
    projects are listed in bold and sorted near the top of the project list.

  gitRootPath
    For projects use github repositories, the gitRootPath specifies a location on
    disk where the git repository should be located. This attribute is used by the
    `project clone` command. If a project entry does not have the gitRootPath
    explicitly set, then the path returned by
    TDProjectEntryDefinition class>>defaultGitRootPath is used. The value of
    TDProjectEntryDefinition class>>defaultGitRootPath can be set on a session
    by session basis.

  locked
    For Metacello projects, you may  specify that the project entry is locked. By
    locking a project entry you can ensure that the specified project version (if
    applicable) and repository will be used whenever the project is loaded by
    reference from another project.

EXAMPLES
  project entry --config=External --version=1.0.0 --repo=http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/external \
               --loads=`#('Core')` /sys/local/server/projects

  project entry --baseline=External --repo=github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository \
               --loads=`#('Core')` /sys/stone/projects

  project entry --git=projectHome --repo=$GS_HOME /sys/stone/projects

  project entry --url=http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/Seaside31.ston \
                /sys/stone/projects

  NOTE - use the `tode it` menu item to run the examples directly from this window.

SEE ALSO
  browse class --exact --hier TDProjectEntryDefinition
  "The Metacello Lock Command Reference" [1]

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/blob/master/docs/LockCommandReference.md#lock-command-reference
  browse method --spec `TDMetacelloTool>>projectentry`

  NOTE - use the `tode it` menu item to run the commands directly from this window.

Soooo, you should create a project entry for each of your projects. I'm not sure which of the JSON projects[2] you are using, but if you are using NeoJSON[3], then you are in luck because there is an existing port of NeoJSON[4] to GemStone. The project is not updated to the latest NeoJson release, but that can be done. I don't have a lot of free time these days, but I would certainly be willing to answer questions and resolve specific issues,,,

Anyway, using NeoJSON as an example here's the project entry command:

project entry \
	--baseline=NeoJSON \
	--repo=github://GsDevKit/NeoJSON:gs_master/repository \
	--loads=`#( 'Core' )` \
	/sys/local/server/projects

II you look at the file $GS_HOME/sys/local/server/projects/NeoJSON.ston:

^ TDProjectSpecEntryDefinition new
    baseline: 'NeoJSON'
      repository: 'github://GsDevKit/NeoJSON:gs_master/repository'
      loads: #('Core');
    status: #(#'active');
    locked: false;
    yourself

Then a `project clone NeoJSON` will clone the project to $GS_HOME/shared/repos/NeoJSON.

Then a `project lock NeoJSON` will lock the project, producing this in $GS_HOME/sys/local/server/projects/NeoJSON.ston (note the `locked` field is now true):

^ TDProjectSpecEntryDefinition new
    baseline: 'NeoJSON'
      repository: 'filetree://$GS_HOME/shared/repos/NeoJSON/repository'
      loads: #('Core');
    status: #(#'active');
    locked: true;
    yourself

At this point any reference to the NeoJSON project in Metacello spec will use your locally cloned git repository for every stone that you create.

There are a few differences between the project entry produced by the command:and those that are present up on github[5] and downloaded using the command:

project entry --url=http://gsdevkit.github.io/GsDevKit_home/NeoJSON.ston /sys/local/server/projects

Here is the downloaded project entry:

^ TDProjectSpecEntryDefinition new
    comment: '';
    projectUrl: 'https://github.com/GsDevKit/NeoJSON';
    baseline: 'NeoJSON'
      repository: 'github://GsDevKit/NeoJSON:gs_master/repository'
      loads: #('Core');
    installScript: 'project clone --https --local NeoJSON';
    gitCheckout: 'gs_master';
    status: #(#'inactive');
    locked: false;
    yourself

... I haven't gotten around to adding the extra fields to the `project entry` command, but it is pretty easy to copy the .ston files and edit the fields to your liking...

So for each of the projects that are part of your application you would:

  1. create a project entry
  2. clone the project
  3. port to gemstone (if needed)

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/master/docs/gettingStartedWithSeaside.md
[2] https://github.com/search?l=&p=1&q=JSON+language%3ASmalltalk&ref=advsearch&type=Repositories&utf8=%E2%9C%93
[3] https://github.com/svenvc/NeoJSON
[4] https://github.com/GsDevKit/NeoJSON#gemstone-installation
[5] https://github.com/GsDevKit/GsDevKit_home/blob/gh-pages/NeoJSON.ston
  • How do I install my main package? It’s in an Iceberg project.

You can create a master project entry for your application or use a Metacello load expression (which is presumably how you install your project in Pharo...

With the project clones in a known location on disk, you would want to hook up your Pharo image to the project repositories (if you've already got local clones for use with Pharo, then I can give you the details for creating the appropriate project entries for the gemstone tODE env) ... by sharing the disk-based clones you will guarantee that the pharo image and you stone[s) would be sharing the same source code

  • How do I update my Iceberg project while it’s live?

Using the NeoJSON project as an example the tODE command `project load NeoJSON` causes the code to be reloaded from the git repositories into your image ... tODE runs in autoCommit mode by default, so that's about it ...

Of course I would recommend that you maintain a "production sandbox" stone that is basically a periodic copy from production that you use to test your code prior to deploying into production ... there are some additional details about GemStone that you should be aware of (mainly in the area of dealing with class shape changes and persistent garbage collection), but this should get the ball rolling ...

If you have further questions specific to GemStone, you might switch to the GLASS mailing list[6].

I think those questions will get me into beta pretty quickly.

As I said earlier, I will do what I can to help with porting the projects to GemStone, I m facing a couple of my own target dates, so my availabiliity will vary ...  if you have to fork the project for your port (some project owners prefer to not have to deal with non-pharo dialects), you can host your port in the GsDevKit[7] organization (I will add the repo and make you a contributor) or you can host it somewhere else, if you choose ...

See you on the GLASS list:)

Dale

[7] https://github.com/GsDevKit