classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tuning Opal Optimizations

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

It seems that #timesRepeat: is compiled/optimized away by Opal, which is probably good. BTW, what is the list of selectors that get this treatment ?

In the PEGParser example of Xtreams #timesRepeat: is implemented for a non Integer class, which obviously leads to errors.

Is there a way to tune this ?
Can it be set at a level higher than in each method ?

Sven
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tuning Opal Optimizations

Marcus Denker-4

On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:07, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that #timesRepeat: is compiled/optimized away by Opal, which is probably good. BTW, what is the list of selectors that get this treatment ?
>
RBMessageNode has #isInlined that returns true… not all cases where the selector is send it is optimised, so a list would be one of “possiblyoptimized” selectors…
maybe #isInlined could check first against that list to quickly return false for all the other selectors.

> In the PEGParser example of Xtreams #timesRepeat: is implemented for a non Integer class, which obviously leads to errors.
>
oh, yes, that is a problem. We started for ifTrue: to do an on-the-fly re-compiling and executing the ifTrue:, but it’s a bit of work to get it right for all cases… so we did not finish
that. But it would be possible...

> Is there a way to tune this ?
> Can it be set at a level higher than in each method ?
>

Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:

compiler
        ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)

Marcus

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:07, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that #timesRepeat: is compiled/optimized away by Opal, which is probably good. BTW, what is the list of selectors that get this treatment ?
>>
> RBMessageNode has #isInlined that returns true… not all cases where the selector is send it is optimised, so a list would be one of “possiblyoptimized” selectors…
> maybe #isInlined could check first against that list to quickly return false for all the other selectors.
>
>> In the PEGParser example of Xtreams #timesRepeat: is implemented for a non Integer class, which obviously leads to errors.
>>
> oh, yes, that is a problem. We started for ifTrue: to do an on-the-fly re-compiling and executing the ifTrue:, but it’s a bit of work to get it right for all cases… so we did not finish
> that. But it would be possible...
>
>> Is there a way to tune this ?
>> Can it be set at a level higher than in each method ?
>>
>
> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
>
> compiler
> ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)

Thanks, Marcus, that works just great.

Sven

> Marcus
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Igor Stasenko
In reply to this post by Marcus Denker-4

On 19 November 2013 16:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that #timesRepeat: is compiled/optimized away by Opal, which is probably good. BTW, what is the list of selectors that get this treatment ?
>
RBMessageNode has #isInlined that returns true… not all cases where the selector is send it is optimised, so a list would be one of “possiblyoptimized” selectors…
maybe #isInlined could check first against that list to quickly return false for all the other selectors.

> In the PEGParser example of Xtreams #timesRepeat: is implemented for a non Integer class, which obviously leads to errors.
>
oh, yes, that is a problem. We started for ifTrue: to do an on-the-fly re-compiling and executing the ifTrue:, but it’s a bit of work to get it right for all cases… so we did not finish

>

Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:

compiler

.. and i feel really glad that Marcus armed my idea of option specification e.g.

#(+ optionToEnable1  - optionToDisable anotherOptionToDisable + optionToEnable2 )

:)

Marcus

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolas Cellier
The only thing that annoyed me is that I failed to discover the incantation thru sender/implementor chain because some messages are constructed...
I tried the senders of timesRepeat: then the senders of corresponding visitor message (no image near my keyboard to check the name).
Of course, once you've learned the incantation, it's OK...

2013/11/20 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
>

>

>

compiler

.. and i feel really glad that Marcus armed my idea of option specification e.g.

#(+ optionToEnable1  - optionToDisable anotherOptionToDisable + optionToEnable2 )

Marcus

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
The only thing that annoyed me is that I failed to discover the incantation thru sender/implementor chain because some messages are constructed...

that's an anti-pattern to be avoided.  One can use dictionaries to make the link explicit, then one has a chance of tracking things down.  Always use something equivalent to

self perform:  (Dictionary newFromPairs: #(#timesRepeat: #optimizeTimesRepeat: ...) at: message) with: ...

instead of

self perform: ('compile', message) asSymbol with:

It'll be far clearer, and (cuz the dictionary will be precomputed) it'll be faster too.

I tried the senders of timesRepeat: then the senders of corresponding visitor message (no image near my keyboard to check the name).

> Hi,
>
>

>

>

compiler

Marcus

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
best,
Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Nice one, Eliot! :-)

--
Cheers,
Peter.

On 20 nov 2013, at 18:53, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

that's an anti-pattern to be avoided.  One can use dictionaries to make the link explicit, then one has a chance of tracking things down.  Always use something equivalent to

self perform:  (Dictionary newFromPairs: #(#timesRepeat: #optimizeTimesRepeat: ...) at: message) with: ...

instead of

It'll be far clearer, and (cuz the dictionary will be precomputed) it'll be faster too.

> Hi,
>
>

>

>

compiler

Marcus

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
best,
Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Clément Béra
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2
2013/11/20 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>

instead of

Nice idea. I've never liked this dynamic dispatch with string/symbol manipulation in Opal.

I added your fix in Opal on my computer right now, I put the optimized dictionary in a class variable. I will check with Marcus tomorrow if he's fine with it we will add it in Pharo 3.0 in the next few days.

However I didn't see compilation time being faster, I guess the performance improvement is not noticeable in the whole image recompilation time.

> Hi,
>
>

>

>

compiler

Marcus

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
best,
Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:
2013/11/20 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>

instead of

Nice idea. I've never liked this dynamic dispatch with string/symbol manipulation in Opal.

I added your fix in Opal on my computer right now, I put the optimized dictionary in a class variable. I will check with Marcus tomorrow if he's fine with it we will add it in Pharo 3.0 in the next few days.

However I didn't see compilation time being faster, I guess the performance improvement is not noticeable in the whole image recompilation time.

Right.  It's a mcro-optimization:

| d |
d := Dictionary newFromPairs: #('your' yourself).
{ [1000000 timesRepeat: [self perform: ('your', 'self') asSymbol]] timeToRun. 
 [1000000 timesRepeat: [self perform: (d at: 'your')]] timeToRun }

#(796 341) 

:-)

on my 2.2GHz Core i7 MBP, Cog r2798 VMMaker.oscog-eem.496

> Hi,
>
>

>

>

compiler

Marcus

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

--
best,
Eliot

--
best,
Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
In reply to this post by Eliot Miranda-2

On 20 Nov 2013, at 18:53, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only thing that annoyed me is that I failed to discover the incantation thru sender/implementor chain because some messages are constructed...
>
> that's an anti-pattern to be avoided.  One can use dictionaries to make the link explicit, then one has a chance of tracking things down.  Always use something equivalent to
>
> self perform:  (Dictionary newFromPairs: #(#timesRepeat: #optimizeTimesRepeat: ...) at: message) with: ...
>
> instead of
>
>     self perform: ('compile', message) asSymbol with:
>
> It'll be far clearer, and (cuz the dictionary will be precomputed) it'll be faster too.

I don’t get the ‘because the Dictionary will be precomputed’ in the code example you give. On the contrary, you will create a new Dictionary every time you execute your example, no ?

> I tried the senders of timesRepeat: then the senders of corresponding visitor message (no image near my keyboard to check the name).
> Of course, once you've learned the incantation, it's OK...
>
>
> 2013/11/20 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>
>
>
> On 19 November 2013 16:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems that #timesRepeat: is compiled/optimized away by Opal, which is probably good. BTW, what is the list of selectors that get this treatment ?
> >
> RBMessageNode has #isInlined that returns true… not all cases where the selector is send it is optimised, so a list would be one of “possiblyoptimized” selectors…
> maybe #isInlined could check first against that list to quickly return false for all the other selectors.
>
> > In the PEGParser example of Xtreams #timesRepeat: is implemented for a non Integer class, which obviously leads to errors.
> >
> oh, yes, that is a problem. We started for ifTrue: to do an on-the-fly re-compiling and executing the ifTrue:, but it’s a bit of work to get it right for all cases… so we did not finish
>
> > Is there a way to tune this ?
> > Can it be set at a level higher than in each method ?
> >
>
> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
>
> compiler
>         ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)
>
>
> .. and i feel really glad that Marcus armed my idea of option specification e.g.
>
> #(+ optionToEnable1  - optionToDisable anotherOptionToDisable + optionToEnable2 )
>  
> :)
>
>
>         Marcus
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.
>
>
>
>
> --
> best,
> Eliot

Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Sven,

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 20 Nov 2013, at 18:53, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only thing that annoyed me is that I failed to discover the incantation thru sender/implementor chain because some messages are constructed...
>
> that's an anti-pattern to be avoided.  One can use dictionaries to make the link explicit, then one has a chance of tracking things down.  Always use something equivalent to
>
> self perform:  (Dictionary newFromPairs: #(#timesRepeat: #optimizeTimesRepeat: ...) at: message) with: ...
>
> instead of
>
>     self perform: ('compile', message) asSymbol with:
>
> It'll be far clearer, and (cuz the dictionary will be precomputed) it'll be faster too.

I don’t get the ‘because the Dictionary will be precomputed’ in the code example you give. On the contrary, you will create a new Dictionary every time you execute your example, no ?

It's an example.  In real use you'd cache the translation dictionary in a variable, likely a class variable.  See Clément's reply; thats exactly what he did.

cheers!

> I tried the senders of timesRepeat: then the senders of corresponding visitor message (no image near my keyboard to check the name).
> Of course, once you've learned the incantation, it's OK...
>
>
> 2013/11/20 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
>
>
>
> On 19 November 2013 16:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems that #timesRepeat: is compiled/optimized away by Opal, which is probably good. BTW, what is the list of selectors that get this treatment ?
> >
>
> > In the PEGParser example of Xtreams #timesRepeat: is implemented for a non Integer class, which obviously leads to errors.
> >
>
> > Is there a way to tune this ?
> > Can it be set at a level higher than in each method ?
> >
>
>
> compiler
>         ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)
>
>
> .. and i feel really glad that Marcus armed my idea of option specification e.g.
>
> #(+ optionToEnable1  - optionToDisable anotherOptionToDisable + optionToEnable2 )
>
> :)
>
>
>         Marcus
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.
>
>
>
>
> --
> best,
> Eliot

--
best,
Eliot
Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:45, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>
>> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
>>
>> compiler
>> ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)
>
> Thanks, Marcus, that works just great.

Marcus,

Are we sure this option mechanism works when loading code through Monticello ?

I mean, this build fails the PEGParser tests:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Xtreams/

but it includes the #compiler options in Xtreams-Parsing-nice.7

Could it not be that this is a chicken-egg problem: the #compiler options are only there _after_ the class is loaded/compiled, or maybe it is an instance/class side problem ?

Sven

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4

On 21 Nov 2013, at 11:34, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:45, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>>
>>> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
>>>
>>> compiler
>>> ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)
>>
>> Thanks, Marcus, that works just great.
>
> Marcus,
>
> Are we sure this option mechanism works when loading code through Monticello ?
>

No… we should make sure that MC loads the method first. I think it does that for #compilerClass
already (but not sure).

> I mean, this build fails the PEGParser tests:
>
>  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Xtreams/
>
> but it includes the #compiler options in Xtreams-Parsing-nice.7
>
> Could it not be that this is a chicken-egg problem: the #compiler options are only there _after_ the class is loaded/compiled, or maybe it is an instance/class side problem ?
>
> Sven
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Clément Béra
In reply to this post by Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
This mechanism does not work with Monticello.

On my builds I have for this case something similar to:

./pharo $JOB_NAME.image config $REPO ConfigurationOfMyProject --install=bleedingEdge
./pharo $JOB_NAME.image eval --save 'SmalltalkImage compilerClass: OpalCompiler. Compiler recompileAll.'

2013/11/21 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>

On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:45, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>
>> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
>>
>> compiler
>>      ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)
>
> Thanks, Marcus, that works just great.

Marcus,

Are we sure this option mechanism works when loading code through Monticello ?

I mean, this build fails the PEGParser tests:

https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Xtreams/

but it includes the #compiler options in Xtreams-Parsing-nice.7

Could it not be that this is a chicken-egg problem: the #compiler options are only there _after_ the class is loaded/compiled, or maybe it is an instance/class side problem ?

Sven

Reply | Threaded
|

Igor Stasenko

On 21 November 2013 12:30, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>>>
>>> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
>>>
>>> compiler
>>>     ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)
>>
>
> Marcus,
>
> Are we sure this option mechanism works when loading code through Monticello ?
>

No… we should make sure that MC loads the method first. I think it does that for #compilerClass
already (but not sure).

which is still doesn't eliminates problem completely, because nothing prevents me from having:

compilerClass
  ^ self otherMethod

and now in order to work,  MC have to know somehow that #otherMethod should also be loaded first.
But i think some prioritization guarantees would be really useful.
At least i think we can easily prioritize class-side compilation over instance side.
Like that, when you compiling any of instance-side method, you know that class side is already there (and can be used
as such in different kinds of hooks).

>
>  https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Xtreams/
>
>
> Could it not be that this is a chicken-egg problem: the #compiler options are only there _after_ the class is loaded/compiled, or maybe it is an instance/class side problem ?
>
> Sven
>
>

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4

On 21 Nov 2013, at 15:55, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 21 November 2013 12:30, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>>>
>>>
>>> compiler
>>
>
> Marcus,
>
>

already (but not sure).

which is still doesn't eliminates problem completely, because nothing prevents me from having:

compilerClass
  ^ self otherMethod

and now in order to work,  MC have to know somehow that #otherMethod should also be loaded first.
At least i think we can easily prioritize class-side compilation over instance side.
Like that, when you compiling any of instance-side method, you know that class side is already there (and can be used

yes, we need atomic code loading.

Marcus
Reply | Threaded
|

Goubier Thierry
What about having a configuration with a prerequisite package setting up
options ? Or optimisation tuning in one of the preload script of the
package ?

We already have ways to tune that; wouldn't they be better than setting
a not so clear class before instance ordering (and what if the class
itself requires that kind of tuning?).

Thierry

Le 21/11/2013 16:15, Marcus Denker a écrit :

>
> On 21 Nov 2013, at 15:55, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 21 November 2013 12:30, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>     On 21 Nov 2013, at 11:34, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     >
>>     > On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:45, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     >>>
>>     >>> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on
>>     the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
>>     >>>
>>     >>> compiler
>>     >>>     ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)
>>     >>
>>     >> Thanks, Marcus, that works just great.
>>     >
>>     > Marcus,
>>     >
>>     > Are we sure this option mechanism works when loading code
>>     through Monticello ?
>>     >
>>
>>     No… we should make sure that MC loads the method first. I think it
>>     does that for #compilerClass
>>     already (but not sure).
>>
>>
>> which is still doesn't eliminates problem completely, because nothing
>> prevents me from having:
>>
>> compilerClass
>>   ^ self otherMethod
>>
>> and now in order to work,  MC have to know somehow that #otherMethod
>> should also be loaded first.
>> But i think some prioritization guarantees would be really useful.
>> At least i think we can easily prioritize class-side compilation over
>> instance side.
>> Like that, when you compiling any of instance-side method, you know
>> that class side is already there (and can be used
>> as such in different kinds of hooks).
>>
>
> yes, we need atomic code loading.
>
> Marcus

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Reply | Threaded
|

Igor Stasenko

On 21 November 2013 16:30, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:
What about having a configuration with a prerequisite package setting up options ? Or optimisation tuning in one of the preload script of the package ?

We already have ways to tune that; wouldn't they be better than setting a not so clear class before instance ordering (and what if the class itself requires that kind of tuning?).

i doubt that there can be universal formal solution to this. We have to put some reasonable constraints into system,
in order to be able to have a predictable behavior during boot-loading or bootstrapping.
Or , somehow , package should carry enough metadata to tell system , in what order it must load things in it..
and problem obviously is wider than just order of compilation inside a single class, because it is just a part of bigger picture which is:
 - order or class loading and initialization

i imagine that a complete (or say, most flexible) load order control must include class loading and class initialization e.g.:

load: ClassA , load:ClassB, init:ClassB, init:ClassA, load:ClassC

Thierry

Le 21/11/2013 16:15, Marcus Denker a écrit :

On 21 Nov 2013, at 15:55, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

On 21 November 2013 12:30, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]

On 21 Nov 2013, at 11:34, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]

>
    > On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:45, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]
    >
    >>>
    >>> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on
    the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
    >>>
    >>> compiler
    >>
    >
    > Marcus,
    >
    > Are we sure this option mechanism works when loading code
    through Monticello ?
    >

No… we should make sure that MC loads the method first. I think it
    does that for #compilerClass
    already (but not sure).

which is still doesn't eliminates problem completely, because nothing
prevents me from having:

compilerClass
  ^ self otherMethod

and now in order to work,  MC have to know somehow that #otherMethod
should also be loaded first.
At least i think we can easily prioritize class-side compilation over
instance side.
Like that, when you compiling any of instance-side method, you know
that class side is already there (and can be used

yes, we need atomic code loading.

Marcus

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
France
Phone/Fax: <a href="tel:%2B33%20%280%29%201%2069%2008%2032%2092" value="+33169083292" target="_blank">+33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goubier Thierry

Le 21/11/2013 16:37, Igor Stasenko a écrit :

>
>
>
> On 21 November 2013 16:30, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     What about having a configuration with a prerequisite package
>     setting up options ? Or optimisation tuning in one of the preload
>     script of the package ?
>
>     We already have ways to tune that; wouldn't they be better than
>     setting a not so clear class before instance ordering (and what if
>     the class itself requires that kind of tuning?).
>
>
> i doubt that there can be universal formal solution to this. We have to
> put some reasonable constraints into system,
> in order to be able to have a predictable behavior during boot-loading
> or bootstrapping.
> Or , somehow , package should carry enough metadata to tell system , in
> what order it must load things in it..
> and problem obviously is wider than just order of compilation inside a
> single class, because it is just a part of bigger picture which is:
>   - order or class loading and initialization
>
> i imagine that a complete (or say, most flexible) load order control
> must include class loading and class initialization e.g.:
>
> load: ClassA , load:ClassB, init:ClassB, init:ClassA, load:ClassC

Of course, a perfect solution would be that, it would avoid seeing
Undeclared stuff popping up when loading... I'd like an automatic way to
load stuff so that even recursively dependent classes would not trigger
any Undeclared stuff :)

But, at the same time, if we have special requests, we can order them
via package pre-requisites and preload scripts, isn't it?

Thierry

>     Thierry
>
>     Le 21/11/2013 16:15, Marcus Denker a écrit :
>
>
>         On 21 Nov 2013, at 15:55, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>             On 21 November 2013 12:30, Marcus Denker
>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>             <mailto:[hidden email]
>             <mailto:[hidden email]>__>> wrote:
>
>
>                  On 21 Nov 2013, at 11:34, Sven Van Caekenberghe
>                  <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>                  >
>                  > On 19 Nov 2013, at 16:45, Sven Van Caekenberghe
>                  <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>                  >
>                  >>>
>                  >>> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can
>             implement on
>                  the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
>                  >>>
>                  >>> compiler
>                  >>>     ^super compiler options: #(-
>             optionInlineTimesRepeat)
>                  >>
>                  >> Thanks, Marcus, that works just great.
>                  >
>                  > Marcus,
>                  >
>                  > Are we sure this option mechanism works when loading code
>                  through Monticello ?
>                  >
>
>                  No… we should make sure that MC loads the method first.
>             I think it
>                  does that for #compilerClass
>                  already (but not sure).
>
>
>             which is still doesn't eliminates problem completely,
>             because nothing
>             prevents me from having:
>
>             compilerClass
>                ^ self otherMethod
>
>             and now in order to work,  MC have to know somehow that
>             #otherMethod
>             should also be loaded first.
>             But i think some prioritization guarantees would be really
>             useful.
>             At least i think we can easily prioritize class-side
>             compilation over
>             instance side.
>             Like that, when you compiling any of instance-side method,
>             you know
>             that class side is already there (and can be used
>             as such in different kinds of hooks).
>
>
>         yes, we need atomic code loading.
>
>         Marcus
>
>
>     --
>     Thierry Goubier
>     CEA list
>     Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>     91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>     France
>     Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92
>     <tel:%2B33%20%280%29%201%2069%2008%2032%2092> / 83 95
>
>
>
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
In reply to this post by Clément Béra

On 21 Nov 2013, at 12:30, Clément Bera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This mechanism does not work with Monticello.
>
> On my builds I have for this case something similar to:
>
>
> ./pharo $JOB_NAME.image config $REPO ConfigurationOfMyProject --install=bleedingEdge
> ./pharo $JOB_NAME.image eval --save 'SmalltalkImage compilerClass: OpalCompiler. Compiler recompileAll.’

Thanks, Clément, that works.

I now do a

./pharo $JOB_NAME.image eval --save 'PEGParser recompile.’

so that OPAL picks up the options.

> 2013/11/21 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>
>
>
> >>
> >> Yes, you can do it per class-hierarchy… you can implement on the class side a method to parametrize the compiler:
> >>
> >> compiler
> >>      ^super compiler options: #(- optionInlineTimesRepeat)
> >
> > Thanks, Marcus, that works just great.
>
> Marcus,
>
>
>
>   https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Xtreams/
>
>
>
> Sven
>
>
>