classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Turn off auto-completion

Tim Johnson
Hi,

I don't like how the browser/editor thinks it is smarter than me (even if it is).

How do I completely turn off the "feature" of it inserting an extra ' whenever I myself type an ' ?  I really, really hate that.

I've gone through the preferences and tried turning off anything related to eCompletion and Shout, and I've tried changing the system default browser.  The darn thing is still making me navigate around these extra 's which is just not how I code.

I feel like I've asked this question here before, like two years ago.  In any case, I again gave up and went back to Squeak which does not force this upon me.

If it is your intention to allow users to turn this off, it would be nice to know how that is accomplished.

Thanks again,
Tim

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Turn off auto-completion

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

Yes, I don't like it either.

The option is called "Smart Characters" in OCompletion.

Maybe we shoud turn it off by default.

On Apr 5, 2011, at 5:32 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't like how the browser/editor thinks it is smarter than me (even if it is).
>
> How do I completely turn off the "feature" of it inserting an extra ' whenever I myself type an ' ?  I really, really hate that.
>
> I've gone through the preferences and tried turning off anything related to eCompletion and Shout, and I've tried changing the system default browser.  The darn thing is still making me navigate around these extra 's which is just not how I code.
>
> I feel like I've asked this question here before, like two years ago.  In any case, I again gave up and went back to Squeak which does not force this upon me.
>
> If it is your intention to allow users to turn this off, it would be nice to know how that is accomplished.
>
> Thanks again,
> Tim
>
>

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Reply | Threaded
|

Lukas Renggli
In reply to this post by Tim Johnson
Hi Tim,

Uncheck Code Browsing > eCompletion > Smart Characters in the system settings.

Cheers,
Lukas

On 5 April 2011 17:31, Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't like how the browser/editor thinks it is smarter than me (even if it is).
>
> How do I completely turn off the "feature" of it inserting an extra ' whenever I myself type an ' ?  I really, really hate that.
>
> I've gone through the preferences and tried turning off anything related to eCompletion and Shout, and I've tried changing the system default browser.  The darn thing is still making me navigate around these extra 's which is just not how I code.
>
> I feel like I've asked this question here before, like two years ago.  In any case, I again gave up and went back to Squeak which does not force this upon me.
>
> If it is your intention to allow users to turn this off, it would be nice to know how that is accomplished.
>
> Thanks again,
> Tim
>
>
>

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck
I wrote this once...

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/CustomizingPharo/SmartCharactersAutocompletion/

does it need an udpate?  if true, send it to me and I change it

mariano

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Tim,

Uncheck Code Browsing > eCompletion > Smart Characters in the system settings.

Cheers,
Lukas

On 5 April 2011 17:31, Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks again,
> Tim
>
>
>

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Johnson
In reply to this post by Lukas Renggli

On Apr 5, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> Uncheck Code Browsing > eCompletion > Smart Characters in the system settings.

Hi Lukas & Marcus,

Thanks for the tips.

- In the One-click 1.1.1 image (CogVM)  from the Pharo homepage, this preference is not present.  
- In the One-click 1.1.1 image (non-Cog) it is also not present.
- In the Seaside 3.0.4 One-click image* (seaside.st) [this is the one originally trying my patience], turning off System Settings->Code browsing->eCompletion (yes, the parent item) does not make the extraneous ' go away.  Seems as if it does not disable the children items (in fact it makes the children & disclosure triangle disappear).  Re-enabling it (so its children re-appear) and then individually disabling "Smart Characters" does indeed work.
- In the 1.2.1 image* this preference does work!  :D

Thanks again,
Tim

* in the Browser, I had to highlight a class category before I got "add category..." on my right-button menu

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Johnson
In reply to this post by Mariano Martinez Peck

On Apr 5, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> I wrote this once...
>
> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/CustomizingPharo/SmartCharactersAutocompletion/
>
> does it need an udpate?  if true, send it to me and I change it

Ah, yes!  I remember this now.  This is a good bit of documentation, thanks.

I don't know if it may need changes for 1.2.1 images though.

Thanks,
Tim