Tutorial, Part 5

Louis Sumberg
I've completed another tutorial.  This one extends the model again, adding
categories to transactions and an editable combo box to the view.  It also
touches on events and has a sidetrip into SmalltalkSystem, then builds a
simple 'system method' (that browses references to a method in and above a
selected class).

Part 5 and the other tutorials can be reached via
www.sirius.com/~lsumberg/PersonalMoney.  Please let me know if you have any
questions, comments, suggestions and corrections.

-- Louis

Re: Tutorial, Part 5

Ian Oldham
Good series of tutorials, thanks.

I think I've noticed a couple of "features", or not as the case may be:
1.    page 9 where you're adding a menu item to 'Class/Browse/Method
Hierarchy' you've got it calling #browseMethodReferences but the method
created in ClassBrowserShell is browseHierarchyReferences, AFAIK they both
need to be the same name.
2.    the ClassBrowserShell  method browseHierarchyReferences needs a test
for nil after the prompter assigns to method otherwise you get a walkback if
the user clicks cancel after pulling up the prompter.

i.e. it becomes

browseHierarchyReferences

 | method class |

 (class:= self selectedClass) notNil ifTrue:[
  method:= Prompter prompt:'Enter a method name:'.
  method notNil ifTrue:[
   self model browseReferencesTo: method asSymbol inAndAbove: class]]
3.    You can add similar menu items to the context menu of the class
browser portion of the shell, I use that more than the shell menu so I found
it a useful addition.

    cheers, Ian Oldham

"Louis Sumberg" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I've completed another tutorial.  This one extends the model again, adding
> categories to transactions and an editable combo box to the view.  It also
> touches on events and has a sidetrip into SmalltalkSystem, then builds a
> simple 'system method' (that browses references to a method in and above a
> selected class).
>
> Part 5 and the other tutorials can be reached via
> www.sirius.com/~lsumberg/PersonalMoney.  Please let me know if you have
any
> questions, comments, suggestions and corrections.
>
> -- Louis

Re: Tutorial, Part 5

Louis Sumberg
"Ian Oldham" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:eNCQ5.1399$[hidden email]...
> Good series of tutorials, thanks.
>
> I think I've noticed a couple of "features", or not as the case may be:
> 1.    page 9 where you're adding a menu item to 'Class/Browse/Method
> Hierarchy' you've got it calling #browseMethodReferences but the method
> created in ClassBrowserShell is browseHierarchyReferences, AFAIK they both
> need to be the same name.
> 2.    the ClassBrowserShell  method browseHierarchyReferences needs a test
> for nil after the prompter assigns to method otherwise you get a walkback
if

> the user clicks cancel after pulling up the prompter.
>
> i.e. it becomes
>
> browseHierarchyReferences
>
>  | method class |
>
>  (class:= self selectedClass) notNil ifTrue:[
>   method:= Prompter prompt:'Enter a method name:'.
>   method notNil ifTrue:[
>    self model browseReferencesTo: method asSymbol inAndAbove: class]]
> 3.    You can add similar menu items to the context menu of the class
> browser portion of the shell, I use that more than the shell menu so I
found
> it a useful addition.
>
>     cheers, Ian Oldham
>
> "Louis Sumberg" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> > I've completed another tutorial.  This one extends the model again,
adding
> > categories to transactions and an editable combo box to the view.  It
also
> > touches on events and has a sidetrip into SmalltalkSystem, then builds a
> > simple 'system method' (that browses references to a method in and above

> > selected class).
> >
> > Part 5 and the other tutorials can be reached via
> > www.sirius.com/~lsumberg/PersonalMoney.  Please let me know if you have
> any
> > questions, comments, suggestions and corrections.
> >
> > -- Louis

Re: Tutorial, Part 5

Louis Sumberg
Ian, Thanks for the bug fixes.  I've incorporated them in the online Part 5.
Good idea too on the context menu -- I'm using that one in Part 6, soon to
come, for another system-type method.

-- Louis