[Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

12

[Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

I have written a new, extensive, long form, introductory article about Pharo.

  Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

  A tutorial on Pharo, test and specification based immersive programming

It is a bit different because

 - it is based on a non-trivial example
 - it uses a backdrop story unrelated to Pharo
 - it uses several multimedia elements
 - it is published on medium.com which is a general publishing platform

The appendix describes several ways you can get the code. I think building both a Spec and Seaside UI from the same specification as well as reusing functional tests in different contexts is cool. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Proudly supporting Pharo
http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Uko2
Amazing,

I have to read this ASAP. Thanks Sven!

Uko

On 25 Jun 2014, at 15:29, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I have written a new, extensive, long form, introductory article about Pharo.

  Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

  A tutorial on Pharo, test and specification based immersive programming

<Article-Announcement-Screenshot.png>

It is a bit different because

 - it is based on a non-trivial example
 - it uses a backdrop story unrelated to Pharo
 - it uses several multimedia elements
 - it is published on medium.com which is a general publishing platform

The appendix describes several ways you can get the code. I think building both a Spec and Seaside UI from the same specification as well as reusing functional tests in different contexts is cool. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Proudly supporting Pharo
http://pharo.org
http://association.pharo.org
http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
The code was ready for some time, but you pushed me to finally write the text, I was postponing that - so thanks for the push !

On 25 Jun 2014, at 15:35, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Amazing,
>
> I have to read this ASAP. Thanks Sven!
>
> Uko
>
> On 25 Jun 2014, at 15:29, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have written a new, extensive, long form, introductory article about Pharo.
>>
>>   Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator
>>
>>   A tutorial on Pharo, test and specification based immersive programming
>>
>>   https://medium.com/@svenvc/rediscovering-the-ux-of-the-legendary-hp-35-scientific-pocket-calculator-d1d497ece999
>>
>> <Article-Announcement-Screenshot.png>
>>
>> It is a bit different because
>>
>>  - it is based on a non-trivial example
>>  - it uses a backdrop story unrelated to Pharo
>>  - it uses several multimedia elements
>>  - it is published on medium.com which is a general publishing platform
>>
>> The appendix describes several ways you can get the code. I think building both a Spec and Seaside UI from the same specification as well as reusing functional tests in different contexts is cool. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> --
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> Proudly supporting Pharo
>> http://pharo.org
>> http://association.pharo.org
>> http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Frank Church
Thanks for interesting article. It will help me sink my teeth further into Pharo

Damn, it is such a long time since I saw slide rule anywhere. Gulp, I shouldn't betray my age.

It looks like you forgot to mention the S word. It first appears in the Appendix and then in a URL. Watch out for the flames and the debates.

--
Frank Church

=======================
http://devblog.brahmancreations.com

Re: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Esteban A. Maringolo
Sven. This is outstanding.

It is not only a comprehensive tutorial, but also is good loking, with
a little touch of nostalgia for those who used a RPN calculator in the
past :)

I wish we all could produce code and documentation the way you do.
Maybe cloning you is an option.

Congratulations.

Best regards,

ps: there is a typo in the first image of "Modelling the HP-35" section.

Esteban A. Maringolo

> I have written a new, extensive, long form, introductory article about
> Pharo.
>
>   Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator
>
>   A tutorial on Pharo, test and specification based immersive programming
>

> https://medium.com/@svenvc/rediscovering-the-ux-of-the-legendary-hp-35-scientific-pocket-calculator-d1d497ece999
>

> It is a bit different because
>
>  - it is based on a non-trivial example
>  - it uses a backdrop story unrelated to Pharo
>  - it uses several multimedia elements
>  - it is published on medium.com which is a general publishing platform
>
> The appendix describes several ways you can get the code. I think building
> both a Spec and Seaside UI from the same specification as well as reusing
> functional tests in different contexts is cool. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.
>
> Sven
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> Proudly supporting Pharo
> http://pharo.org
> http://association.pharo.org
> http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

jdelgado
Yes, I agree. It is simply awesome. Thanks a lot!

Bests,

Jordi

PD: I also love old calculators, though my first love was the HP-41CV

On 25 Jun 2014, at 16:05, vfclists . <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for interesting article. It will help me sink my teeth further into Pharo

That is one of my main goals.

> Damn, it is such a long time since I saw slide rule anywhere. Gulp, I shouldn't betray my age.

Well, if you just saw a slide rule, then it is OK, if you used one, then that is something else ;-)

> It looks like you forgot to mention the S word. It first appears in the Appendix and then in a URL. Watch out for the flames and the debates.

Well, that is on purpose: in the Pharo community there is a general consensus that talking about Smalltalk or Lisp scares away people. Another goal of the article is to attract new people, if such a thing is possible.

Of course, Pharo is a Smalltalk, and is based on a long tradition/lineage that we are proud of. But going forward to the future, we want no restrictions.

Anyway, a fun fact is that the HP-35 came out in 1972, which was pretty ground breaking in terms of new technology, but Smalltalk did already exist then in the form of Smalltalk-72 - something to think about.

On 25 Jun 2014, at 16:06, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sven. This is outstanding.
>
> It is not only a comprehensive tutorial, but also is good loking, with
> a little touch of nostalgia for those who used a RPN calculator in the
> past :)
>
> I wish we all could produce code and documentation the way you do.
> Maybe cloning you is an option.
>
> Congratulations.

Thank you, Esteban, I am glad you like it.
Thanks for the medium.com recommendation too !

> Best regards,
>

> ps: there is a typo in the first image of "Modelling the HP-35" section.

Fixed. Yes, I think too much about models ;-)

On 25 Jun 2014, at 16:16, [hidden email] wrote:

> Yes, I agree. It is simply awesome. Thanks a lot!

Thx!

> Bests,
>
> Jordi
>
> PD: I also love old calculators, though my first love was the HP-41CV

Yes, the HP-41 was the one I was dreaming about when I was young: it was so cool - it went on several Space Shuttle missions and they used that a lot in their ads - but it was way too expensive for me as a kid.

Re: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Apparently it already got posted on YC News

  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7943876

so it needs votes and comments to survive.

On 25 Jun 2014, at 15:29, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have written a new, extensive, long form, introductory article about Pharo.
>
>   Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator
>
>   A tutorial on Pharo, test and specification based immersive programming
>
>   https://medium.com/@svenvc/rediscovering-the-ux-of-the-legendary-hp-35-scientific-pocket-calculator-d1d497ece999

Re: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Geert Claes
Administrator
Great article Sven!

It would be great to also add a brief explanation in the appendix how newbies can get the great looking "optional" dark theme after downloading Pharo 3. #JustAnIdea

On 25 Jun 2014, at 20:47, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great article Sven!

Thank you, Geert.

> It would be great to also add a brief explanation in the appendix how
> newbies can get the great looking "optional" dark theme after downloading
> Pharo 3. #JustAnIdea

I understand, but the article is already quite long ;-) And I don't want to be too technical.

Now, in Pharo 4, the dark theme comes included, you just have to enable it. This is the original blog post announcing the dark theme:

  http://smallworks.eu/web/blog/2014-05-01-dark-theme-for-pharo

HTH,

Sven

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
fantastic piece of work Sven, thanks for doing that for the community

Is now on Reddit too:

Vote up guys!

On Jun 25, 2014, at 10:29 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: [Pharo-users] [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 25 Jun 2014, at 23:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This really is beautiful!
>
> Doru

Thanks; like I said, this last year we seem to have this friendly competition in trying to produce the best possible documentation. Everyone's contributions, combined, will eventually make a difference, I am sure.

On 26 Jun 2014, at 00:11, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> fantastic piece of work Sven, thanks for doing that for the community
>
> Is now on Reddit too:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/293is3/rediscovering_the_ux_of_the_legendary_hp35/
>
> Vote up guys!

Thanks Sebastian, I got lots of referrals from reddit.com !

I will do a short follow up after a week or so with some statistics, because I think this is important as well.

R: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Lorenzo

Great job Sven, I felt young again.

Thank you.

Lorenzo

On 25 Jun 2014, at 17:05, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apparently it already got posted on YC News
>
>  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7943876
>
> so it needs votes and comments to survive.

Let's try again - it is hard to get up the rankings, both votes & comments help - thanks.

Re: R: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 26 Jun 2014, at 09:24, Lorenzo Schiavina <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great job Sven, I felt young again.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Lorenzo

Yeah, I am beginning to realise that being interested in historic calculators puts you in a certain age bracket ;-)

I am glad you liked it.

Sven

Re: R: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

fvozzi
Incredible Work!

Thanks for sharing,
FV

p.s.: I used one HP-35 at school from my father. I love the RPN method when I understood it :-)