[Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

[Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

I have written a new, extensive, long form, introductory article about Pharo.

  Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

  A tutorial on Pharo, test and specification based immersive programming

It is a bit different because

 - it is based on a non-trivial example
 - it uses a backdrop story unrelated to Pharo
 - it uses several multimedia elements
 - it is published on medium.com which is a general publishing platform

The appendix describes several ways you can get the code. I think building both a Spec and Seaside UI from the same specification as well as reusing functional tests in different contexts is cool. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Proudly supporting Pharo
http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Apparently it already got posted on YC News

  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7943876

so it needs votes and comments to survive.

On 25 Jun 2014, at 15:29, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have written a new, extensive, long form, introductory article about Pharo.
>
>   Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator
>
>   A tutorial on Pharo, test and specification based immersive programming
>
>   https://medium.com/@svenvc/rediscovering-the-ux-of-the-legendary-hp-35-scientific-pocket-calculator-d1d497ece999

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Peter K.H. Gragert
Sven, not used Pharo for a long time, I forgot nearly all of it ... so I need help how to activate YOUR *.mcz files
and what does the different numbers mean? Version ... so ... one should always try the latest or all??

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Peter,

Yes, the highest numbered .mcz file is the latest.

In the appendix, I describe the different ways you can get the code, in order of increasing complexity - you took the latest ;-)

Anyway, I hope you figure it out.

Sven

On 25 Jun 2014, at 23:23, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This really is beautiful!
>
> Doru

Thanks; like I said, this last year we seem to have this friendly competition in trying to produce the best possible documentation. Everyone's contributions, combined, will eventually make a difference, I am sure.

Let's try again - it is hard to get up the rankings, both votes & comments help - thanks.

Re: [Pharo-dev] [Tutorial] Rediscovering the UX of the legendary HP-35 Scientific Pocket Calculator

Peter K.H. Gragert
Got it working ( as a sorcerers apprentice) ;-).

Thanks ... now reading your web page will make (more) sense to me ..

By the way, I programmed the HP 32S with Python on Ipad ... (programming part not finished, yet, and some small quirks ;-(  ). I think, your info about your Pharo implementation will help to review my Python version ...

On 26 Jun 2014, at 16:39, Peter Gragert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got it working ( as a sorcerers apprentice) ;-).
>
> Thanks ... now reading your web page will make (more) sense to me ..

Great.

> By the way, I programmed the HP 32S with Python on Ipad ... (programming part not finished, yet, and some small quirks ;-(  ). I think, your info about your Pharo implementation will help to review my Python version ...

Yes, that is a nice one as well. It is a nice project to try to implement an emulator, a pretty deep subject.