Two fonts questions

gerard alis
First: Exists a "correct" way for register a font in Pharo Image? Now I drag and drop a font in World, and then that font is choosable, but the visual quality is little bit poor, blured. I ´m using MACOSX

Second. With the new font added I go to Settings for change the default font of list, buttons etc But I can´t select a size between 9 and 12 points; that´s normal?

Thanks for the help and patience.

Re: Two fonts questions

Stéphane Ducasse
I do not know much on that but have to have a look at the TTF*reader and friends

On Oct 5, 2010, at 9:33 PM, nullPointer wrote:

> First: Exists a "correct" way for register a font in Pharo Image? Now I drag
> and drop a font in World, and then that font is choosable, but the visual
> quality is little bit poor, blured. I ´m using MACOSX
>
> Second. With the new font added I go to Settings for change the default font
> of list, buttons etc But I can´t select a size between 9 and 12 points;
> that´s normal?
>
> Thanks for the help and patience.

Re: Two fonts questions

Henrik Sperre Johansen
  On 05.10.2010 21:32, nullPointer wrote:
> First: Exists a "correct" way for register a font in Pharo Image? Now I drag
> and drop a font in World, and then that font is choosable, but the visual
> quality is little bit poor, blured. I ´m using MACOSX
When dragging and dropping, you are actually importing a TTCFont instance.
This is rendered using balloon canvas, which (IIRC) does b-w shape
inclusion when painting glyph shapes to a morph, then applies basic
anti-aliasing.
Which means it will be a bit poor and blurred for small font sizes,
where glyph shape widths are usually < 1 pixel wide.

The "correct" way to do it, is in the World menu going to
System->settings, then in the settings browser appearance->standard
fonts->Update fonts from system.
The fonts found in default locations on the machine (as well as found in
a Fonts subfolder, see 1.0) will then be added to your choices.
The fonts you get this way is rendered using the external
Freetype-library, which usually leads to somewhat higher quality. (at
the cost of being slower)
If no new fonts show up, it means your VM does not include a (working)
Freetype plugin, however all of the recommended ones on the Pharo
website do.

For examples of importing a font of the same quality as Bitmap DejaVu,
which is stored internally in the image and can be used across
platforms, search the list for Juan Vuletich's description of how he
does it.
> Second. With the new font added I go to Settings for change the default font
> of list, buttons etc But I can´t select a size between 9 and 12 points;
> that´s normal?
>
> Thanks for the help and patience.
Yes, that's normal.
The sizes created when using the DropHandler can be found and modified
in TTCFont class >> #fontSizes.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Two fonts questions

gerard alis
Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote
The "correct" way to do it, is in the World menu going to
System->settings, then in the settings browser appearance->standard
fonts->Update fonts from system.
The fonts found in default locations on the machine (as well as found in
a Fonts subfolder, see 1.0) will then be added to your choices.
The fonts you get this way is rendered using the external
Freetype-library, which usually leads to somewhat higher quality. (at
the cost of being slower)
If no new fonts show up, it means your VM does not include a (working)
Freetype plugin, however all of the recommended ones on the Pharo
website do.
I did the probe before in MAC OSX, and don´t works, but is correct on Windows7. In two cases I use the Cog VM.

Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote
For examples of importing a font of the same quality as Bitmap DejaVu,
which is stored internally in the image and can be used across
platforms, search the list for Juan Vuletich's description of how he
does it.
If is the good way for cross platform then I will use that system.

Many thanks for the detailed answer.