classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5

Ronie Salgado
Hello,

I made new OpenGL bindings for Pharo 5 using the UFFI (Available at: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~ronsaldo/UFFIOpenGL ).

Unlike the old NBOpenGL, these new bindings make a heavy use of OSWindow SDL2 which is integrated and enabled by default in the Pharo 5 image. These bindings do not provide a way to create an OpenGL context or to create a Morphic window using OpenGL unlike NBOpenGL.

For testing quickly OpenGL in Pharo 5, it should be enough to do the following in the playground:

(ConfigurationOfOSWindow project version: #stable) load: 'WithOpenGLAndExamples'.

(Smalltalk at: #OSGLExampleBasic3) new.

As for Woden, it is now working in Pharo 5 with the UFFI. For loading Woden in a Pharo 5 image, is enough to do the following in the playground (Also available at the Woden Smalltalkhub page):

Gofer new smalltalkhubUser: 'ronsaldo' project: 'Woden'; package: 'ConfigurationOfWoden'; load. (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfWoden) loadBleedingEdge.

For an example the following script should be executed in a Playground:

WDFPSSimpleExample6 new open.

Greetings,
Ronie

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Ronie,

cool! So I guess a possible next step would be an updated CodeCity [1] for Pharo 5 now... ;)

Small feedback:
Can confirm that the examples are working/displayed for me on Windows with build #50737 -
but I dont know how to stop it (except using ALT+F4 quit for Pharo Window). I can not click
in the Pharo Desk or interrupt with CMD+ while the example is running.
ESC close the visualization but still I can not click in Pharo afterwards. Did I miss something?

Thanks
Torsten

[1] http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-users_lists.pharo.org/2014-March/010878.html

Gesendet: Freitag, 29. April 2016 um 15:36 Uhr
Von: "Ronie Salgado" <[hidden email]>
An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: [Pharo-dev] UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5
Hello,

I made new OpenGL bindings for Pharo 5 using the UFFI (Available at: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~ronsaldo/UFFIOpenGL ).

Unlike the old NBOpenGL, these new bindings make a heavy use of OSWindow SDL2 which is integrated and enabled by default in the Pharo 5 image. These bindings do not provide a way to create an OpenGL context or to create a Morphic window using OpenGL unlike NBOpenGL.

For testing quickly OpenGL in Pharo 5, it should be enough to do the following in the playground:

(ConfigurationOfOSWindow project version: #stable) load: 'WithOpenGLAndExamples'.

As for Woden, it is now working in Pharo 5 with the UFFI. For loading Woden in a Pharo 5 image, is enough to do the following in the playground (Also available at the Woden Smalltalkhub page):

Gofer new smalltalkhubUser: 'ronsaldo' project: 'Woden'; package: 'ConfigurationOfWoden'; load. (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfWoden) loadBleedingEdge.

Greetings,
Ronie

Reply | Threaded
|

Nicolai Hess-3-2

2016-04-29 16:45 GMT+02:00 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
Hi Ronie,

cool! So I guess a possible next step would be an updated CodeCity [1] for Pharo 5 now... ;)

Small feedback:
Can confirm that the examples are working/displayed for me on Windows with build #50737 -
but I dont know how to stop it (except using ALT+F4 quit for Pharo Window). I can not click

This is a known issue on windows with the SDL-Plugin
15364 Losing keyboard after instanciation of the OSSDL2Driver

I once build a modified vm for Merwan, and my modificuation seemed to work for him.

ESC close the visualization but still I can not click in Pharo afterwards. Did I miss something?

Thanks
Torsten

[1] http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-users_lists.pharo.org/2014-March/010878.html

Hello,

Greetings,
Ronie

Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
In reply to this post by Ronie Salgado
It seems to not work on OS X:
WDFPSSimpleExample6 new open. produces:

Alexandre

-- 
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

On Apr 29, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Ronie Salgado <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Greetings,
Ronie

Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
In reply to this post by Nicolai Hess-3-2
Also, in the GT inspector I have

Cheers,
Alexandre

-- 
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

On Apr 29, 2016, at 12:06 PM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

2016-04-29 16:45 GMT+02:00 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>:
Hi Ronie,

Small feedback:

This is a known issue on windows with the SDL-Plugin
15364 Losing keyboard after instanciation of the OSSDL2Driver

I once build a modified vm for Merwan, and my modificuation seemed to work for him.

Thanks
Torsten

Hello,

Greetings,
Ronie

Reply | Threaded
|

Richard Wettel-3
In reply to this post by Ronie Salgado
Hi Ronie

Thank you, that is great news!
I was talking to Doru the other day about investing some time in the OpenGL binding and you did it in the meantime.

You are saying that it is not working like the previous binding, in that it does not provide support for creating an OpenGL context or a morphic. As far as I can tell CodeCity rendering is based on exactly that, so I was wondering if you could provide some tips on what would be needed to make CodeCity work with the new binding.

Cheers
Ricky

Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 15:37
Subject: [Pharo-dev] UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5
To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>

Hello,

Gofer new smalltalkhubUser: 'ronsaldo' project: 'Woden'; package: 'ConfigurationOfWoden'; load.(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfWoden) loadBleedingEdge.

Greetings,
Ronie

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Ronie,

Would it be possible to provide Ricky with some pointers so that he can port his CodeCity to your new binding?

Cheers,
Doru

> On Apr 30, 2016, at 11:09 AM, Richard Wettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ronie
>
> Thank you, that is great news!
> I was talking to Doru the other day about investing some time in the OpenGL binding and you did it in the meantime.
>
> You are saying that it is not working like the previous binding, in that it does not provide support for creating an OpenGL context or a morphic. As far as I can tell CodeCity rendering is based on exactly that, so I was wondering if you could provide some tips on what would be needed to make CodeCity work with the new binding.
>
> Cheers
> Ricky
>
>
> _____________________________
> From: Ronie Salgado <[hidden email]>
> Sent: Friday, April 29, 2016 15:37
> Subject: [Pharo-dev] UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5
> To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>
>
>
> Hello,
>
> I made new OpenGL bindings for Pharo 5 using the UFFI (Available at: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~ronsaldo/UFFIOpenGL ).
>
> Unlike the old NBOpenGL, these new bindings make a heavy use of OSWindow SDL2 which is integrated and enabled by default in the Pharo 5 image. These bindings do not provide a way to create an OpenGL context or to create a Morphic window using OpenGL unlike NBOpenGL.
>
> For testing quickly OpenGL in Pharo 5, it should be enough to do the following in the playground:
>
> (ConfigurationOfOSWindow project version: #stable) load: 'WithOpenGLAndExamples'.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #OSGLExampleBasic3) new.
>
> As for Woden, it is now working in Pharo 5 with the UFFI. For loading Woden in a Pharo 5 image, is enough to do the following in the playground (Also available at the Woden Smalltalkhub page):
>
> Gofer new    smalltalkhubUser: 'ronsaldo' project: 'Woden';    package: 'ConfigurationOfWoden';    load.(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfWoden) loadBleedingEdge.
>
> For an example the following script should be executed in a Playground:
>
> WDFPSSimpleExample6 new open.
>
> Greetings,
> Ronie
>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com