UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5

UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5

Ronie Salgado
Hello,

I made new OpenGL bindings for Pharo 5 using the UFFI (Available at: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~ronsaldo/UFFIOpenGL ).

Unlike the old NBOpenGL, these new bindings make a heavy use of OSWindow SDL2 which is integrated and enabled by default in the Pharo 5 image. These bindings do not provide a way to create an OpenGL context or to create a Morphic window using OpenGL unlike NBOpenGL.

For testing quickly OpenGL in Pharo 5, it should be enough to do the following in the playground:

(ConfigurationOfOSWindow project version: #stable) load: 'WithOpenGLAndExamples'.

(Smalltalk at: #OSGLExampleBasic3) new.

As for Woden, it is now working in Pharo 5 with the UFFI. For loading Woden in a Pharo 5 image, is enough to do the following in the playground (Also available at the Woden Smalltalkhub page):

Gofer new smalltalkhubUser: 'ronsaldo' project: 'Woden'; package: 'ConfigurationOfWoden'; load. (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfWoden) loadBleedingEdge.

For an example the following script should be executed in a Playground:

WDFPSSimpleExample6 new open.

Greetings,
Ronie

Re: UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Ronie,

cool! So I guess a possible next step would be an updated CodeCity [1] for Pharo 5 now... ;)

Small feedback:
Can confirm that the examples are working/displayed for me on Windows with build #50737 -
but I dont know how to stop it (except using ALT+F4 quit for Pharo Window). I can not click
in the Pharo Desk or interrupt with CMD+ while the example is running.
ESC close the visualization but still I can not click in Pharo afterwards. Did I miss something?

Thanks
Torsten

[1] http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-users_lists.pharo.org/2014-March/010878.html

Ronie

Re: UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5

Nicolai Hess-3-2

Hi Ronie,

cool! So I guess a possible next step would be an updated CodeCity [1] for Pharo 5 now... ;)

Small feedback:
Can confirm that the examples are working/displayed for me on Windows with build #50737 -
but I dont know how to stop it (except using ALT+F4 quit for Pharo Window). I can not click
in the Pharo Desk or interrupt with CMD+ while the example is running.

This is a known issue on windows with the SDL-Plugin
15364 Losing keyboard after instanciation of the OSSDL2Driver

I once build a modified vm for Merwan, and my modificuation seemed to work for him.

ESC close the visualization but still I can not click in Pharo afterwards. Did I miss something?

Thanks
Torsten

[1] http://lists.pharo.org/pipermail/pharo-users_lists.pharo.org/2014-March/010878.html

Re: UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5

abergel
It seems to not work on OS X:
WDFPSSimpleExample6 new open. produces:

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Apr 29, 2016, at 10:36 AM, Ronie Salgado <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Richard Wettel-3
Hi Ronie

Thank you, that is great news!
I was talking to Doru the other day about investing some time in the OpenGL binding and you did it in the meantime.

You are saying that it is not working like the previous binding, in that it does not provide support for creating an OpenGL context or a morphic. As far as I can tell CodeCity rendering is based on exactly that, so I was wondering if you could provide some tips on what would be needed to make CodeCity work with the new binding.

Cheers
Ricky

_____________________________

Re: UFFIOpenGL binding and Woden is now working in Pharo 5

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Ronie,

Would it be possible to provide Ricky with some pointers so that he can port his CodeCity to your new binding?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Things happen when they happen,
not when you talk about them happening."