UI Frameworks

Bob Cowdery-4
Hi,

What is the state of the various UI frameworks. I did play with Squeak
many moons ago and used Morphic but I wanted something a bit higher up
the food chain.

I see in Pharo, Spec seems to be the built in framework for widgets but
I don't see any graphics capability in there.

There does seem to be a bunch of Graphics- classes but couldn't find any
info on those.

I also found Block and Brick which say they are next generation, Block
being for graphics and  Brick for widgets. These are not yet in Pharo
and again I couldn't find any info although there is a tutorial for
Block but not for Brick. Having forgotten most everything I knew I
didn't have much success trying to run the Brick examples.

To build a reasonably complex UI today that requires both a good widget
collection and decent drawing capability what would the best choice be.

Thanks

bob

Re: UI Frameworks

khinsen
Bob Cowdery <[hidden email]> writes:

> I also found Block and Brick which say they are next generation, Block
> being for graphics and  Brick for widgets. These are not yet in Pharo
> and again I couldn't find any info although there is a tutorial for
> Block but not for Brick. Having forgotten most everything I knew I
> didn't have much success trying to run the Brick examples.

The best existing illustration of what you can do with Bloc and Bric
is probably GToolkit: https://gtoolkit.com/. It also serves as a warning
that this is not ready for prime time yet. For example, the current
version crashes Pharo rather quickly if you use native windows. It isn't
a tutorial either, of course, but a huge reservoir of examples.

So an important consideration is your development time scale. If you
have a deadline for a usable product, better don't bet on Bloc and Bric
yet.

Konrad.