UI Notebook Obsolete

khenyh
Hi,

UI.Notebook is obsolete. As I need it, I have loaded the parcel. But what do replace notebook ?

Nicolas Krieger

Re: UI Notebook Obsolete

Dennis smith-4
The tab widget.

The upside is it had always been a cleaner widget -- years ago we copied the notebook classes and we have
extensive mods to them.

The downside is
    - tabs have to be on the tab
    - only one set, no side-tabs
    - no title bar (we use the notebook title-bar, we write onto it)

We have not decided what we want to do at this point -- for now we are staying with notebook

_______________________________________________ vwnc mailing list [hidden email] http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc

--
Dennis Smith                 		         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: UI Notebook Obsolete

Jim Harsh

We are staying with the notebook, at least for the time being. Our
application is a visual programming environment where one places
glyphs on a canvas to analyze or simulate a radiograph. We have the
glyphs on 20 pages of a notebook, each page has any where from 3 to
about 25 glyphs. In setting up a canvas, the analyst  needs to access
most of those pages, scrolling across the top of the tab control is
too time consuming.

At 10:02 AM 6/2/2010, you wrote:

>The tab widget.
>
>The upside is it had always been a cleaner widget -- years ago we
>copied the notebook classes and we have
>extensive mods to them.
>
>The downside is
>     - tabs have to be on the tab
>     - only one set, no side-tabs
>     - no title bar (we use the notebook title-bar, we write onto it)
>
>We have not decided what we want to do at this point -- for now we
>are staying with notebook
>
>On 02/06/2010 11:50 AM, Nicolas Krieger wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>UI.Notebook is obsolete. As I need it, I have loaded the parcel.
>>But what do replace notebook ?
>>
>>Nicolas Krieger

>--
>Dennis Smith                                     +1 416.798.7948
>Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
>509-2001 Sheppard Avenue
>East        <mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]
>Toronto, ON M2J
>4Z8
><mailto:sip:[hidden email]>sip:[hidden email]
>Canada
><http://www.CherniakSoftware.com>http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
>Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the
>DVP_______________________________________________
>vwnc mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc

Re: UI Notebook Obsolete

Steven Kelly
For a large number of pages with tabs down the left or right edge, a
modern UI replacement for the notebook could be a list widget on the
left, whose selection determines the contents of a pane on the right.
The settings tool is an example of this in VW.

Steve

Jim Harsh wrote:

> We are staying with the notebook, at least for the time being. Our
> application is a visual programming environment where one places
> glyphs on a canvas to analyze or simulate a radiograph. We have the
> glyphs on 20 pages of a notebook, each page has any where from 3 to
> about 25 glyphs. In setting up a canvas, the analyst  needs to access
> most of those pages, scrolling across the top of the tab control is
> too time consuming.
>
> At 10:02 AM 6/2/2010, you wrote:
> >The tab widget.
> >
> >The upside is it had always been a cleaner widget -- years ago we
> >copied the notebook classes and we have
> >extensive mods to them.
> >
> >The downside is
> >     - tabs have to be on the tab
> >     - only one set, no side-tabs
> >     - no title bar (we use the notebook title-bar, we write onto it)
> >
> >We have not decided what we want to do at this point -- for now we
> >are staying with notebook
> >
> >On 02/06/2010 11:50 AM, Nicolas Krieger wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>UI.Notebook is obsolete. As I need it, I have loaded the parcel.
> >>But what do replace notebook ?
> >>
> >>Nicolas Krieger

> >--
> >Dennis Smith                                     +1 416.798.7948
> >Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
> >509-2001 Sheppard Avenue
> >East
> <mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]
> >Toronto, ON M2J
> >4Z8
>
><mailto:sip:[hidden email]>sip:[hidden email]
> >Canada
> ><http://www.CherniakSoftware.com>http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
> >Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the
> >DVP_______________________________________________
> >vwnc mailing list
> >[hidden email]
> >http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc

Re: UI Notebook Obsolete

Joseph Bacanskas-4
Hi Steven:

Excellent suggestion.  And for free, you get "instant distraction removal".

On Jun 2, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Steven Kelly wrote:

> For a large number of pages with tabs down the left or right edge, a
> modern UI replacement for the notebook could be a list widget on the
> left, whose selection determines the contents of a pane on the right.
> The settings tool is an example of this in VW.
>
> Steve
>
> Jim Harsh wrote:
>>
>> We are staying with the notebook, at least for the time being. Our
>> application is a visual programming environment where one places
>> glyphs on a canvas to analyze or simulate a radiograph. We have the
>> glyphs on 20 pages of a notebook, each page has any where from 3 to
>> about 25 glyphs. In setting up a canvas, the analyst  needs to access
>> most of those pages, scrolling across the top of the tab control is
>> too time consuming.
>>
>> At 10:02 AM 6/2/2010, you wrote:
>>> The tab widget.
>>>
>>> The upside is it had always been a cleaner widget -- years ago we
>>> copied the notebook classes and we have
>>> extensive mods to them.
>>>
>>> The downside is
>>>    - tabs have to be on the tab
>>>    - only one set, no side-tabs
>>>    - no title bar (we use the notebook title-bar, we write onto it)
>>>
>>> We have not decided what we want to do at this point -- for now we
>>> are staying with notebook

>>> --
>>> Dennis Smith                                     +1 416.798.7948
>>> Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
>>> 509-2001 Sheppard Avenue
>>> East
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>[hidden email]
>>> Toronto, ON M2J
>>> 4Z8
>>
>> <mailto:sip:[hidden email]>sip:[hidden email]
>>> Canada
>>> <http://www.CherniakSoftware.com>http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
>>> Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the
>>> vwnc mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/mailman/listinfo/vwnc

Thanks!!
Joseph Bacanskas [|]
--- I use Smalltalk.  My amp goes to eleven.