UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

Guillermo Polito
Hi,  I would like to discuss the UI for shortcuts and not to impose it :). So..

I was exploring the Idea of configuring the shortcuts in settings as the screenshot shows.  What do you think of that?  I don't think we need a separated tool to configure shortcuts.  Settings look ok.

Tomorrow I'll be putting a lot of effort on it ;).

Cheers!

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
I also would like a cmd+f: search anything... but that needs also an application (like algernon, which I'm currently not supporting anymore due time issues), not just a command :(
well, at least a cmd+f: search class would be fine :)

+1
It sound like a good project for someone with time and wanting to learn :)

El 27/12/2010, a las 5:38a.m., Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> I suggest that you define lists =
>
> simple eamcs bindings =
>       ctral a ctrle
>
> Windows manipulation
>       cmd W
>
> Your special binding
>

> Then you should have contexts
>       World
>       TextMorph
>       Editor only
>
>       (of course some list will only be able to be attached to a given object programmatically
>       example: for botsinc I wanted specific binding to that morph class only -- but you do not care)
>
> then a config is
>
>       (lists, lists) context
>       (mybinding, lists, lists) context
>
> where , make sure that mybinding take precedence
>

> Does it make sense?
>
> Stef
>

> On Dec 27, 2010, at 2:37 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>
>> What about something like the attach?
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wow, haha, this is wonderful!  So, putting some order:
>>
>> 1) shortcuts published as settings with a default?  Will that be ok?  This make me think the following:
>> - how to share shortcuts. Files?  Keymapping used to use SIXX, but maybe it is not suitable for a light solution (I don't know much about SIXX)
>> - downloading a new image (or a new version of a package with shortcuts) could make us lose our own-defined shortcuts.
>>
>> 2) support for the following shortcuts:
>>
>> - a shortcut to bring up the wolrd menu. Not sure which shortcut.
>> - use ctrl + tab  to switch between windows instead of cmd + arrows
>> - a shortcut for what it is (hidden) now with cmd + shift + click  (list of opened windows)
>> - Shortcuts for opening standard tools: Workspace, Transcript, TestRunner, etc.
>> - Shortcut for duplicating a windows
>> - a shortcut for saving the image (cmd+ shoft + s ?)
>> - a shortcut for quitting the image with and without saving
>> - a shortcut to see a list of shortcuts
>>
>> I would like to add some more items to #2, and to define the keys that triggers them.
>> #1 seems to be of some work :).  I'll work on it ASAP.
>>
>> Step by step, as Stef and Mostaza Merlo says :).
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Guille
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> + 1 :)
>> And save them as configuration
>>
>>> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> my wishlist:
>>>
>>> - a shortcut to see all available shortcuts and change them
>>>
>>> + a lot
>>

>> <PharoScreenshot.2.png>

shortcuts.png (36K) Download Attachment

Re: UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

Stéphane Ducasse
looks cool now how can I sahre the same spec between two contexts?

On Dec 31, 2010, at 12:28 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> [...]
> >> - Shortcuts for opening standard tools: Workspace, Transcript, TestRunner, etc.
> >> - Shortcut for duplicating a windows
> >> - a shortcut for saving the image (cmd+ shoft + s ?)
> >> - a shortcut for quitting the image with and without saving
> >> - a shortcut to see a list of shortcuts
> >>
> >> I would like to add some more items to #2, and to define the keys that triggers them.
> >> #1 seems to be of some work :).  I'll work on it ASAP.
> >>
> >> Step by step, as Stef and Mostaza Merlo says :).
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >> Guille
> >>

> >> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> + 1 :)
> >> And save them as configuration

> >> <PharoScreenshot.2.png>
> >

> <shortcuts.png>

Re: UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

Alain Plantec-4
Very cool, thanks.
The setting browser is easily extendable. see how Shout colors settings
are integrated.
Have a look at SHStyleSetting. the UI is declared in SHStyleSetting
class>>settingInputWidgetForNode:
Maybe we can have something like that for shortcuts: a drop list for the
key modifier and a text field for the shortcut character.
Cheers
Alain

Le 31/12/2010 00:28, Guillermo Polito a écrit :

> Hi,  I would like to discuss the UI for shortcuts and not to impose it
> :). So..
>
> I was exploring the Idea of configuring the shortcuts in settings as
> the screenshot shows.  What do you think of that?  I don't think we
> need a separated tool to configure shortcuts.  Settings look ok.
>
> Tomorrow I'll be putting a lot of effort on it ;).
>
> Cheers!

ShoutSyntaxHighlighting.png (30K) Download Attachment

Re: UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

Mariano Martinez Peck
Guille, I like the UI. Few comments:

- what is that KMMeta ? seems kryptic to me. Shortcuts have to be very clear and easy to understand. I really didn't understand at all :(
- what is the difference between '+' and ','  ?

Maybe a little help somewhere would be fine.
Ahhh and what about letting you type something and recognize the shortcut instead of writing it? heheh this is a good one ;)

cheers

mariano

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> - a shortcut for saving the image (cmd+ shoft + s ?)
>> - a shortcut for quitting the image with and without saving
>> - a shortcut to see a list of shortcuts
>>
>> I would like to add some more items to #2, and to define the keys that triggers them.
>> #1 seems to be of some work :).  I'll work on it ASAP.
>>
>> Step by step, as Stef and Mostaza Merlo says :).
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Guille
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> + 1 :)
>> And save them as configuration
>>
>>> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> my wishlist:
>>>
>>> - a shortcut to see all available shortcuts and change them
>>>
>>> + a lot
>>

>> <PharoScreenshot.2.png>

Re: UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

This is where your great work pays off.
It is often difficult when you work at infrastructural level. People can think that you fix things for the sake of it :)
but infrastructure is really important because it is the enabler for the future.

Stef

> Very cool, thanks.
> The setting browser is easily extendable. see how Shout colors settings are integrated.
> Have a look at SHStyleSetting. the UI is declared in SHStyleSetting class>>settingInputWidgetForNode:
> Maybe we can have something like that for shortcuts: a drop list for the key modifier and a text field for the shortcut character.
> Cheers
> Alain
>
> Le 31/12/2010 00:28, Guillermo Polito a écrit :
>> Hi,  I would like to discuss the UI for shortcuts and not to impose it :). So..
>>
>> I was exploring the Idea of configuring the shortcuts in settings as the screenshot shows.  What do you think of that?  I don't think we need a separated tool to configure shortcuts.  Settings look ok.
>>
>> Tomorrow I'll be putting a lot of effort on it ;).

Re: UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

Alexandre Bergel
Easily associating a block to a key shortcut would be useful.
Really cool effort!

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
looks cool now how can I sahre the same spec between two contexts?

That's problem #2 and ortogonal to shortcuts UI I think.  Shouldn't we have the ability to export all our settings?  Not only key bindings from one place and colors from other place...

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very cool, thanks.
The setting browser is easily extendable. see how Shout colors settings are integrated.
Have a look at SHStyleSetting. the UI is declared in SHStyleSetting class>>settingInputWidgetForNode:
Maybe we can have something like that for shortcuts: a drop list for the key modifier and a text field for the shortcut character.

That looks good.  I'll have a deeper look later :).  But I'd like to find a nice way to declare composed shortcuts, just like the chain Cmd + a -> Cmd + b

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
looks cool now how can I sahre the same spec between two contexts?

That's problem #2 and ortogonal to shortcuts UI I think.  Shouldn't we have the ability to export all our settings?  Not only key bindings from one place and colors from other place...

There is. In the settings browser, in the top left where it says "Style", choose new...

In addition, Alain said once to add "partial settings saving" where you can jusst save some settings and not all. I am not sure its state.

cheers

mariano

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guille, I like the UI. Few comments:

- what is that KMMeta ? seems kryptic to me. Shortcuts have to be very clear and easy to understand. I really didn't understand at all :(
- what is the difference between '+' and ','  ?

Yes, yes, I was only prototyping...  Actually I shoud rename KMMeta to KMCommand :P.

Maybe a little help somewhere would be fine.
Ahhh and what about letting you type something and recognize the shortcut instead of writing it? heheh this is a good one ;)

Mmm, I can take what Alain said and this, and have a nice thing ;)

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
looks cool now how can I sahre the same spec between two contexts?

That's problem #2 and ortogonal to shortcuts UI I think.  Shouldn't we have the ability to export all our settings?  Not only key bindings from one place and colors from other place...

There is. In the settings browser, in the top left where it says "Style", choose new...

But it does not change dinamically, does it?  I should add the default shortcut loading into that setting classes, and that doesn't look fine :).

> [...]

> >> - a shortcut for quitting the image with and without saving
> >> - a shortcut to see a list of shortcuts
> >>
> >> I would like to add some more items to #2, and to define the keys that triggers them.
> >> #1 seems to be of some work :).  I'll work on it ASAP.
> >>
> >> Step by step, as Stef and Mostaza Merlo says :).
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >> Guille
> >>

> >> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> + 1 :)
> >> And save them as configuration

> >> <PharoScreenshot.2.png>
> >

> <shortcuts.png>

Re: UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

Alain Plantec-4

>     There is. In the settings browser, in the top left where it says
>     "Style", choose new...
>

> But it does not change dinamically, does it?
normally yes, just load your style.
if not then it's an issue :)
> I should add the default shortcut loading into that setting classes,
> and that doesn't look fine :).
>

>     In addition, Alain said once to add "partial settings saving"
>     where you can jusst save some settings and not all. I am not sure
>     its state.

It will be for 1.3

Re: UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

Alain Plantec-4
thanks Stéphane
Cheers
Alain

Le 31/12/2010 14:24, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :

> Alain
>
> This is where your great work pays off.
> It is often difficult when you work at infrastructural level. People can think that you fix things for the sake of it :)
> but infrastructure is really important because it is the enabler for the future.
>
> Stef
>
>> Very cool, thanks.
>> The setting browser is easily extendable. see how Shout colors settings are integrated.
>> Have a look at SHStyleSetting. the UI is declared in SHStyleSetting class>>settingInputWidgetForNode:
>> Maybe we can have something like that for shortcuts: a drop list for the key modifier and a text field for the shortcut character.
>> Cheers
>> Alain
>>
>> Le 31/12/2010 00:28, Guillermo Polito a écrit :
>>> Hi,  I would like to discuss the UI for shortcuts and not to impose it :). So..
>>>
>>> I was exploring the Idea of configuring the shortcuts in settings as the screenshot shows.  What do you think of that?  I don't think we need a separated tool to configure shortcuts.  Settings look ok.
>>>
>>> Tomorrow I'll be putting a lot of effort on it ;).

Re: UI for Shortcuts [WAS: Which Keymaps/Shortcuts do we want to have?]

Tudor Girba

On 31 Dec 2010, at 17:44, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Guille, I like the UI. Few comments:
>
> - what is that KMMeta ? seems kryptic to me. Shortcuts have to be very clear and easy to understand. I really didn't understand at all :(
> - what is the difference between '+' and ','  ?
>
> Yes, yes, I was only prototyping...  Actually I shoud rename KMMeta to KMCommand :P.

If I understand correctly what + and , mean I like them a lot. As I understand the difference is:
- with + you to compose keys (for example, Ctrl+s accepts in Smalltalk)
- with , you concatenate key sequences for example (for example, Ctrl+x , s saves in Emacs)

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com