UPX and VSE

Henrik Høyer

Has anybody had any luck using UPX (http://upx.sourceforge.net/) or any other binary packagers to compress the .exe file produces by VSE?

I am getting a “compiler unable to allocate memory” error from the VM. I am guessing that the VM is reading some configuration values from the (now compressed) exe file.

sPeople Logo Henrik Høyer
Chief Software Architect
[hidden email] • (+45) 4029 2092
Tigervej 27 • 4600 Køge
www.sPeople.dk • (+45) 7023 7775

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: UPX and VSE

Todor Todorov

If I remember correctly, the VM finds start-up info like configuration parameters and the saved memory space / image (!!!) inside the EXE file. I am not 100% sure how it access it, but I think it reads the binary data directly from the EXE file. I don’t think it’s possible to do what you want with the current implementation.

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: UPX and VSE

Andreas Rosenberg
Todor is right. Look at the class VirtualMachineConfiguration. The class method #imageFileOffset points to
the location of the Vm configuration structure. The devs at Digitalk did lookup the location of the C structure
in the EXE file and the VM-DLL also reads this information using a similar way as the class VirtualMachineConfiguration does.
The UPX encoder replaces the orginal EXE stub with it's own code, so the layout of the EXE is now completely
different and the VM will read an invalid VM configuration.

Our VM does no longer use the VM config structure in the V.EXE, so the UPX image does start, but only a
text window appears (the standard default runtime app). The reason for this is that the VM tries to read a
binary section named ".vimage". The UPX packer puts all sections from the original EXE into a new section
named "UPX1". The VM does no longer find the ".vimage" section, so an "empty" image is being started.

To make compressed images work, the VM must be able to decode the compressed UPX1 section.

Kind regards,

Andreas

Andreas Rosenberg | eMail: [hidden email]
APIS GmbH         | Phone: +49 9482 9415-0
Im Haslet 42      | Fax: +49 9482 9415-55
93086 Wörth/D     | WWW: < http://www.apis.de/ <http://www.apis.de/> >
Germany           | < http://www.fmea.de/ <http://www.fmea.de/> >

If I remember correctly, the VM finds start-up info like configuration parameters and the saved memory space / image (!!!) inside
the EXE file. I am not 100% sure how it access it, but I think it reads the binary data directly from the EXE file. I don't think
it's possible to do what you want with the current implementation.

I am getting a "compiler unable to allocate memory" error from the VM. I am guessing that the VM is reading some configuration
values from the (now compressed) exe file.

 <http://www.sPeople.dk> sPeople Logo

Henrik Høyer

Chief Software Architect

 <mailto:[e-mail]> [hidden email] * (+45) 4029 2092

Tigervej 27 * 4600 Køge

 <http://www.sPeople.dk> www.sPeople.dk * (+45) 7023 7775