URGENT: Google Summer of Code 2007 - Help needed

URGENT: Google Summer of Code 2007 - Help needed

Giovanni Corriga
Hi all

Google has recently announced the third edition of its Summer of Code
program.

In this program Google provides funding to students to work on open
source projects.

I think Squeak could benefit, both technically and in advertisements,
from partecipating in such a program.

Unfortunately, the deadlines are pretty tight:
- March 12th for Squeak to apply as a mentoring organization
- March 24th for students to apply as developers for the program.

I'm trying to have Squeak apply to the program. So if anyone would like
to partecipate to this effort, either as a mentor, or as student
developer, or just to provide ideas and suggestions, please contact me
ASAP at my personal email.

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

Re: URGENT: Google Summer of Code 2007 - Help needed

Yann Monclair-2
Hi Giovanni,

IIRC last year we tried to apply to Google's Summer of Code. I think Stephane
Ducasse was involved too. We weren't accepted either as ESUG or  SqF,
not being
"mainstream".
I think that was one of the reasons to push forward SummerTalk.

I think Google SoC is a great initiative, but unfortunately, I don't think
Google will accept Smalltalk projects this year again... I would love to be
proven wrong!

What I would rather propose, is to build up a great SummerTalk, making great
stuff with motivated students and mentors :) I was part of the first batch of
SummerTalkers in 2006, and I really enjoyed the experience. My mentor was one
of my teachers in University, Bernard Pottier, who is a long time Smalltalker.

If we build up to a good SummerTalk event each year, then we will stand more
chances to enter google SoC, or maybe we will not even want to get in :)

I would rather encourage people to offer projects and mentorship (and
sponsoring
if you want to), to ESUG's SummerTalk :)

my 2 pence,

Yann

Quoting Giovanni Corriga <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all
>
> Google has recently announced the third edition of its Summer of Code
> program.
>
> In this program Google provides funding to students to work on open
> source projects.
>
> I think Squeak could benefit, both technically and in advertisements,
> from partecipating in such a program.
>
> Unfortunately, the deadlines are pretty tight:
> - March 12th for Squeak to apply as a mentoring organization
> - March 24th for students to apply as developers for the program.
>
> I'm trying to have Squeak apply to the program. So if anyone would like
> to partecipate to this effort, either as a mentor, or as student
> developer, or just to provide ideas and suggestions, please contact me
> ASAP at my personal email.
>
> Ciao,
>
> Giovanni

Re: Re: URGENT: Google Summer of Code 2007 - Help needed

Giles Bowkett
For what it's worth, there's an OCaml "summer of code" being organized
by a financial company which uses OCaml extensively. If Squeak was
rejected for not being "mainstream" enough, it sounds like there's a
pattern here.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

Il giorno dom, 25/02/2007 alle 17.38 -0800, Giles Bowkett ha scritto:
> For what it's worth, there's an OCaml "summer of code" being organized
> by a financial company which uses OCaml extensively. If Squeak was
> rejected for not being "mainstream" enough, it sounds like there's a
> pattern here.

Yes, last year ESUG organized a Smalltalk Summer of Code aptly named
SummerTalk, too. Sounds like there's a whole pattern language here ;-)

        Giovanni