URL resolver and registering root objects

URL resolver and registering root objects

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Because of many problems with this registration let me write down few
steps how to diagnose and solve the problem

1. site named 'aidademo' exist?

   - inspect (AIDSite named: 'aidademo'), it should return anAIDASite,
   - if not, inspect SwazooServer singleton sites and instvar #name for
     each site

2.on current Scribo one-click demo the site is named 'scribo' and when
you do SwazooAida demoStart, another site 'aidademo' is created, with a
host:ip:port combination, which clashes with 'scribo' one. To solve the
confusion:

   - inspect (AIDASite named: 'scribo') uriPattern first
   - change port to 8889
   - doit SwazooServer stop; start

Now you are running two sites at once, http://localhost:8888 for
aidademo and http://localhost:8889 for scribo

3. if above is correct, you should register root object without a problem:

   (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') urlResolver
        registerURL: '/url.html' forObject: myObject

Be sure of course that myObject is not nil!

Best regards
Janko

---
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: URL resolver and registering root objects

Janko Mivšek

Janko Mivšek wrote:

> 3. if above is correct, you should register root object without a problem:
>
>    (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') urlResolver
> registerURL: '/url.html' forObject: myObject

Ops, that's wrong, sorry! Right one is defaultURL:forObject:

     (AIDASite named: 'aidademo') urlResolver
        defaultURL: '/url.html' forObject: myObject

Default URL is there because one object can have more than one URL but
only one is a default one, which is the URL to be be used in apps when
you link to that object with #addLinkTo: .

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: URL resolver and registering root objects

Prashanth Hebbar
Hi Janko:
Your pointers definitely helps in clearing some of the conceptual cobwebs in my mind.

Meanwhile, I was successful in getting my app done. Since I didn't know how to set a different port number for demoStart in Scribo one-click, I filed out my code and took it to Damien's web-dev image. My app worked fine!

I am now planning to implement atleast one client project. I will intimate this group.

I also noticed that documentation is sparse on Aida while we get loads on Seaside. (I do not have anything against Seaside and admire the features there.) I can volunteer to consolidate some documentation. As a starter, I can write up my own experience as a newbie Aidaist/smalltalker (is that the expression).

Thanks again.

Regards.

Thanks, and welcome back!

For your problem I just posted some hints in a separate mail, please try
them and reply with the result.

Best regards
Janko

Re: URL resolver and registering root objects

Janko Mivšek
Hi Prashanth,

Prashanth Hebbar wrote:

> Your pointers definitely helps in clearing some of the conceptual
> cobwebs in my mind.
>
> Meanwhile, I was successful in getting my app done. Since I didn't know
> how to set a different port number for demoStart in Scribo one-click, I
> filed out my code and took it to Damien's web-dev image. My app worked fine!

We will clean this mess with site names in the next Scribo beta. For now
sorry to everyone have those problems.

> I am now planning to implement atleast one client project. I will
> intimate this group.

This sounds interesting. Yes please report your progress and all
troubles you will have, to help improving both Aida and docs.

> I also noticed that documentation is sparse on Aida while we get loads
> on Seaside. (I do not have anything against Seaside and admire the
> features there.) I can volunteer to consolidate some documentation. As a
> starter, I can write up my own experience as a newbie
> Aidaist/smalltalker (is that the expression).

You are very welcome. Also we can open an account on our website so that
you can improve docs in place.

Aidaist, Aider, good question, which title is better :)

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: URL resolver and registering root objects

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> Aidaist, Aider, good question, which title is better :)
at least for you "Aider" is the correct title to use as you help us a
lot. This is valid for others too.

I got a big grin when I read "Aider" with my wrong pronunciation
(think kitchen-aid :-)) but I feel it would help Aida, if the
community members could proudly call themselves "Aiders".

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: URL resolver and registering root objects

Prashanth Hebbar
I second that. Aider is "terse". Aidaist is a tongue-twister.

Regards.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Janko,

JM> Aidaist, Aider, good question, which title is better :)
at least for you "Aider" is the correct title to use as you help us a
lot. This is valid for others too.

I got a big grin when I read "Aider" with my wrong pronunciation
(think kitchen-aid :-)) but I feel it would help Aida, if the
community members could proudly call themselves "Aiders".

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Prashanth Hebbar
Bangalore

Re: URL resolver and registering root objects

Giuseppe
Why not WUAERS.....We Use Aida..ers... :D

Ok, I need to left drugs :D

El 17/01/2009, a las 16:46, Prashanth Hebbar escribió:

I second that. Aider is "terse". Aidaist is a tongue-twister.

Regards.

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Janko,

JM> Aidaist, Aider, good question, which title is better :)
at least for you "Aider" is the correct title to use as you help us a
lot. This is valid for others too.

I got a big grin when I read "Aider" with my wrong pronunciation
(think kitchen-aid :-)) but I feel it would help Aida, if the
community members could proudly call themselves "Aiders".

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Prashanth Hebbar
Bangalore

Re: URL resolver and registering root objects

Herbert König
Hi Giuseppe,

GLPR> Why not WUAERS.....We Use Aida..ers... :D

GLPR> Ok, I need to left drugs :D
this is great :-)) I would need some serious drinking to come up with
something equivalent. And in that state, when I can't pronounce
Aiders anymore, WUAERS comes out completely natural in German :-))

Cheers (see :-)

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]