UUID on ubuntu 10.04

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I took seaside the latest one click image and when I have to save a MC package
I get a core dump with UUID new:...
I checke the so.UUIDplugin is there and I do not understand.
Can somebody with a Ubuntu give a try to save something using MC and the latest seaside one click.

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

David T. Lewis
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 07:38:59PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I took seaside the latest one click image and when I have to save a MC package
> I get a core dump with UUID new:...
> I checke the so.UUIDplugin is there and I do not understand.
> Can somebody with a Ubuntu give a try to save something using MC and the latest seaside one click.

Hi Stef,

This issue is being tracked here: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358

It is not clear to me if the issue is resolved in the Ian's latest VM
build, so if you or anyone else can confirm the UUID crash happening
with this VM, that would be helpful to clarify.

Dave

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

Stéphane Ducasse
I can confirm that this is exactly the same trace than the one reported by laurent (no debug file).

Stef
On May 17, 2010, at 7:51 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 07:38:59PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I took seaside the latest one click image and when I have to save a MC package
>> I get a core dump with UUID new:...
>> I checke the so.UUIDplugin is there and I do not understand.
>> Can somebody with a Ubuntu give a try to save something using MC and the latest seaside one click.
>
> Hi Stef,
>
> This issue is being tracked here: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>
> It is not clear to me if the issue is resolved in the Ian's latest VM
> build, so if you or anyone else can confirm the UUID crash happening
> with this VM, that would be helpful to clarify.
>
> Dave

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

laurent laffont
On ArchLinux I have the problem when UUID is built external. Official 4.0.3.2202 Unix VM binaries on http://squeakvm.org/unix/ works well for me (UUID is internal).

Can you try with this one click image I made once (uses 4.0.3.2202 binaries) http://lolgzs.free.fr/pharo/Pharo-1.0-OneClick.zip

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can confirm that this is exactly the same trace than the one reported by laurent (no debug file).

Stef
On May 17, 2010, at 7:51 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 07:38:59PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I took seaside the latest one click image and when I have to save a MC package
>> I get a core dump with UUID new:...
>> I checke the so.UUIDplugin is there and I do not understand.
>> Can somebody with a Ubuntu give a try to save something using MC and the latest seaside one click.
>
> Hi Stef,
>
> This issue is being tracked here: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>
> It is not clear to me if the issue is resolved in the Ian's latest VM
> build, so if you or anyone else can confirm the UUID crash happening
> with this VM, that would be helpful to clarify.
>
> Dave

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

Stéphane Ducasse
I asked the student to try.

Stef

On May 17, 2010, at 9:06 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On ArchLinux I have the problem when UUID is built external. Official 4.0.3.2202 Unix VM binaries on http://squeakvm.org/unix/ works well for me (UUID is internal).
>
> Can you try with this one click image I made once (uses 4.0.3.2202 binaries) http://lolgzs.free.fr/pharo/Pharo-1.0-OneClick.zip
>
> Laurent Laffont
>
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>

> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can confirm that this is exactly the same trace than the one reported by laurent (no debug file).
>
> Stef
> On May 17, 2010, at 7:51 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 07:38:59PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
> >> Hi guys
> >>
> >> I took seaside the latest one click image and when I have to save a MC package
> >> I get a core dump with UUID new:...
> >> I checke the so.UUIDplugin is there and I do not understand.
> >> Can somebody with a Ubuntu give a try to save something using MC and the latest seaside one click.
> >
> > Hi Stef,
> >
> > This issue is being tracked here: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
> >
> > It is not clear to me if the issue is resolved in the Ian's latest VM
> > build, so if you or anyone else can confirm the UUID crash happening
> > with this VM, that would be helpful to clarify.
> >
> > Dave

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

Stéphane Ducasse
Apparently the student reinstalled her ubuntu from scratch (no incremental installation) and the vm did not crash
anymore.

Stef

On May 17, 2010, at 9:16 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I asked the student to try.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 17, 2010, at 9:06 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> On ArchLinux I have the problem when UUID is built external. Official 4.0.3.2202 Unix VM binaries on http://squeakvm.org/unix/ works well for me (UUID is internal).
>>
>> Can you try with this one click image I made once (uses 4.0.3.2202 binaries) http://lolgzs.free.fr/pharo/Pharo-1.0-OneClick.zip
>>
>> Laurent Laffont
>>
>> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
>> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>>

>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can confirm that this is exactly the same trace than the one reported by laurent (no debug file).
>>
>> Stef

>>> Hi Stef,
>>>
>>> This issue is being tracked here: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>>>
>>> It is not clear to me if the issue is resolved in the Ian's latest VM
>>> build, so if you or anyone else can confirm the UUID crash happening
>>> with this VM, that would be helpful to clarify.
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

laurent laffont

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apparently the student reinstalled her ubuntu from scratch (no incremental installation) and the vm did not crash
anymore.

:( so we cannot reproduce the bug on Ubuntu now ........

Laurent

Stef

On May 17, 2010, at 9:16 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I asked the student to try.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 17, 2010, at 9:06 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> On ArchLinux I have the problem when UUID is built external. Official 4.0.3.2202 Unix VM binaries on http://squeakvm.org/unix/ works well for me (UUID is internal).
>>
>> Can you try with this one click image I made once (uses 4.0.3.2202 binaries) http://lolgzs.free.fr/pharo/Pharo-1.0-OneClick.zip
>>
>> Laurent Laffont
>>
>> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
>> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>>

>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can confirm that this is exactly the same trace than the one reported by laurent (no debug file).
>>
>> Stef

>>> Hi Stef,
>>>
>>> This issue is being tracked here: http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>>>
>>> It is not clear to me if the issue is resolved in the Ian's latest VM
>>> build, so if you or anyone else can confirm the UUID crash happening
>>> with this VM, that would be helpful to clarify.
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

David T. Lewis
Thanks, I marked the issue as resolved and summarized the status here:

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 09:42:28AM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:

> Apparently the student reinstalled her ubuntu from scratch (no incremental installation) and the vm did not crash
> anymore.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 17, 2010, at 9:16 PM, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > I asked the student to try.
> >
> > Stef
> >
> > On May 17, 2010, at 9:06 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
> >
> >> On ArchLinux I have the problem when UUID is built external. Official 4.0.3.2202 Unix VM binaries on http://squeakvm.org/unix/ works well for me (UUID is internal).
> >>
> >> Can you try with this one click image I made once (uses 4.0.3.2202 binaries) http://lolgzs.free.fr/pharo/Pharo-1.0-OneClick.zip
> >>
> >> Laurent Laffont
> >>
> >> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
> >> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> >>

> >> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM, St?phane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I can confirm that this is exactly the same trace than the one reported by laurent (no debug file).
> >>
> >> Stef

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

Stéphane Ducasse
I'm not sure that it is resolved. It would be good to make sure that the system does not crash
even without reporting a log. May be having a stupid UUID generator as a fallback would be good.

Stef

> Thanks, I marked the issue as resolved and summarized the status here:
>
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 09:42:28AM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>> Apparently the student reinstalled her ubuntu from scratch (no incremental installation) and the vm did not crash
>> anymore.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On May 17, 2010, at 9:16 PM, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> I asked the student to try.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

David T. Lewis
That is exactly how it works:

  UUID>>primMakeUUID
        <primitive: 'primitiveMakeUUID' module: 'UUIDPlugin'>
        UUIDGenerator default generateBytes: self forVersion: 4.

I added this to the Mantis issue:

  To summarize: The bug exists in some versions of libuuid on some Linux
  distributions. The workaround is to compile the plugin internal. The
  latest versions of Unix VM have the plugin compiled internally, although
  some users may still experience problems if they have a leftover external
  plugin from a prior installation.

  If you experience this problem, then get the latest Unix VM and delete
  any existing copies of the external plugin.

  Resolved in latest Unix VMs. The UUID plugin must be compiled internally
  to avoid a bug in some versions of libuuid.

Hopefully this is an accurate summary.

Dave

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 06:15:32PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:

> I'm not sure that it is resolved. It would be good to make sure that the system does not crash
> even without reporting a log. May be having a stupid UUID generator as a fallback would be good.
>
> Stef
>
> > Thanks, I marked the issue as resolved and summarized the status here:
> >
> >  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 09:42:28AM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
> >> Apparently the student reinstalled her ubuntu from scratch (no incremental installation) and the vm did not crash
> >> anymore.
> >>
> >> Stef

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks

probably the seaside one click does not have the latest vm

Stef

On May 19, 2010, at 9:02 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> That is exactly how it works:
>
>  UUID>>primMakeUUID
> <primitive: 'primitiveMakeUUID' module: 'UUIDPlugin'>
> UUIDGenerator default generateBytes: self forVersion: 4.
>

> I added this to the Mantis issue:
>
>  To summarize: The bug exists in some versions of libuuid on some Linux
>  distributions. The workaround is to compile the plugin internal. The
>  latest versions of Unix VM have the plugin compiled internally, although
>  some users may still experience problems if they have a leftover external
>  plugin from a prior installation.
>
>  If you experience this problem, then get the latest Unix VM and delete
>  any existing copies of the external plugin.
>
>  Resolved in latest Unix VMs. The UUID plugin must be compiled internally
>  to avoid a bug in some versions of libuuid.
>
> Hopefully this is an accurate summary.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 06:15:32PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>> I'm not sure that it is resolved. It would be good to make sure that the system does not crash
>> even without reporting a log. May be having a stupid UUID generator as a fallback would be good.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>> Thanks, I marked the issue as resolved and summarized the status here:
>>>
>>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

Mariano Martinez Peck
Maybe they can just take the pharo 1.0 one click, just evaluate the metacello confing and use it as seaside one click

Ahh and change the logo, open welcome workspaces, etc.

cheers

mariano

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks

probably the seaside one click does not have the latest vm

Stef

On May 19, 2010, at 9:02 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> That is exactly how it works:
>
>  UUID>>primMakeUUID
>       <primitive: 'primitiveMakeUUID' module: 'UUIDPlugin'>
>       UUIDGenerator default generateBytes: self forVersion: 4.
>

> I added this to the Mantis issue:
>
>  To summarize: The bug exists in some versions of libuuid on some Linux
>  distributions. The workaround is to compile the plugin internal. The
>  latest versions of Unix VM have the plugin compiled internally, although
>  some users may still experience problems if they have a leftover external
>  plugin from a prior installation.
>
>  If you experience this problem, then get the latest Unix VM and delete
>  any existing copies of the external plugin.
>
>  Resolved in latest Unix VMs. The UUID plugin must be compiled internally
>  to avoid a bug in some versions of libuuid.
>
> Hopefully this is an accurate summary.
>
> Dave
>
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 06:15:32PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
>> I'm not sure that it is resolved. It would be good to make sure that the system does not crash
>> even without reporting a log. May be having a stupid UUID generator as a fallback would be good.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>> Thanks, I marked the issue as resolved and summarized the status here:
>>>
>>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>>>
>>> Dave

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

laurent laffont

Something that I don't understand. If the bug is in libuuid, the crash should occur even if UUIDPlugin is internal ? What are the differences between internal and external ?

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:02 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
That is exactly how it works:

 UUID>>primMakeUUID
       <primitive: 'primitiveMakeUUID' module: 'UUIDPlugin'>
       UUIDGenerator default generateBytes: self forVersion: 4.

I added this to the Mantis issue:

 To summarize: The bug exists in some versions of libuuid on some Linux
 distributions. The workaround is to compile the plugin internal. The
 latest versions of Unix VM have the plugin compiled internally, although
 some users may still experience problems if they have a leftover external
 plugin from a prior installation.

 If you experience this problem, then get the latest Unix VM and delete
 any existing copies of the external plugin.

 Resolved in latest Unix VMs. The UUID plugin must be compiled internally
 to avoid a bug in some versions of libuuid.

Hopefully this is an accurate summary.

Dave

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 06:15:32PM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
> I'm not sure that it is resolved. It would be good to make sure that the system does not crash
> even without reporting a log. May be having a stupid UUID generator as a fallback would be good.
>
> Stef
>
> > Thanks, I marked the issue as resolved and summarized the status here:
> >
> >  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 09:42:28AM +0200, St?phane Ducasse wrote:
> >> Apparently the student reinstalled her ubuntu from scratch (no incremental installation) and the vm did not crash
> >> anymore.
> >>
> >> Stef

Re: UUID on ubuntu 10.04

David T. Lewis
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 09:01:11AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something that I don't understand. If the bug is in libuuid, the crash
> should occur even if UUIDPlugin is internal ? What are the differences
> between internal and external ?

I don't know.

There was some speculation in this thread:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-April/004315.html

But I am not aware of any definitive conclusion. All of the information
that I have is here: