UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I haven't done much with it, and there are some deprecation warnings, but it's running.  In the attached screenshot, the "host 2" entry in the "Detected Hosts" window is the Squeak 4.1 image running on the right.Screen_shot_2010-08-30_at_August_30%2C_2010_5.47.42_PM.png

Load it with:
 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'KomHttpServer';
      package: 'DynamicBindings';
        load.

 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'KomHttpServer';
      package: 'KomServices';
        load.

 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'rST';
        load.

Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'OSProcess';
      package: 'OSProcess';
        load.

 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Platform.pharo';
        load.

 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Cache';
        load.

 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'UbiquiTalk-GUI';
        load.

Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Utilities';
        load.

"requires Utilities"
 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Kernel';
        load.

"requires Kernel"
 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Plugins';
        load.

 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'UbiquiTalk-PDA';
        load.

 Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Property Editors';
        load.

Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Tests';
        load.

"requires platform"
 Gofer new
     squeaksource: 'UbiquiTalk';
     package: 'UTAllServices';
        load.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Noury Bouraqadi-2
cool.

Noury
On 30 août 2010, at 23:50, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I haven't done much with it, and there are some deprecation warnings, but
> it's running.  In the attached screenshot, the "host 2" entry in the
> "Detected Hosts" window is the Squeak 4.1 image running on the right.
> http://forum.world.st/file/n2400767/Screen_shot_2010-08-30_at_August_30%2C_2010_5.47.42_PM.png
> Screen_shot_2010-08-30_at_August_30%2C_2010_5.47.42_PM.png
>
> Load it with:
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'KomHttpServer';
>      package: 'DynamicBindings';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'KomHttpServer';
>      package: 'KomServices';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'rST';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'OSProcess';
>      package: 'OSProcess';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Platform.pharo';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Cache';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'UbiquiTalk-GUI';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Utilities';
> load.
>
> "requires Utilities"
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Kernel';
> load.
>
> "requires Kernel"
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Plugins';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'UbiquiTalk-PDA';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Property Editors';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>      package: 'UbiquiTalk-Tests';
> load.
>
> "requires platform"
> Gofer new
>     squeaksource: 'UbiquiTalk';
>     package: 'UTAllServices';
> load.
>
> Sean

Noury

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
The updated rST and UbiquiTalk versions now live in their main repos (thanks to Noury for access).  The installation script is now:

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'KomHttpServer';
        package: 'DynamicBindings';
        package: 'KomServices';
        load.

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'rST';
        package: 'rST';
        load.

Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'OSProcess';
        package: 'OSProcess';
        load.

Gofer new
      squeaksource: 'UbiquiTalk';
        package: 'UbiquiTalk-Platform.pharo';
        package: 'UbiquiTalk-Utilities';  "depends on Platform"
        package: 'UbiquiTalk-Kernel'; "depends on Utilities"
        package: 'UbiquiTalk-Cache'; "depends on Kernel"
        package: 'UbiquiTalk-GUI'; "depends on Kernel"
        package: 'UbiquiTalk-Plugins'; "depends on Kernel"
        package: 'UbiquiTalk-PDA';
        package: 'UbiquiTalk-Property Editors';
        package: 'UbiquiTalk-Tests';
        package: 'UTAllServices';
        load.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Miguel Cobá
El lun, 06-09-2010 a las 14:03 -0700, Sean P. DeNigris escribió:

> The updated rST and UbiquiTalk versions now live in their main repos (thanks
> to Noury for access).  The installation script is now:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'KomHttpServer';
> package: 'DynamicBindings';
> package: 'KomServices';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'rST';
> package: 'rST';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>       squeaksource: 'OSProcess';
> package: 'OSProcess';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>       squeaksource: 'UbiquiTalk';
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Platform.pharo';
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Utilities';  "depends on Platform"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Kernel'; "depends on Utilities"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Cache'; "depends on Kernel"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-GUI'; "depends on Kernel"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Plugins'; "depends on Kernel"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-PDA';
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Property Editors';
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Tests';
> package: 'UTAllServices';
> load.
>
> Sean

This begs for a ConfigurationOfUbiquiTalk :)

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez-2 wrote
This begs for a ConfigurationOfUbiquiTalk :)
Yes, I didn't want to "take the time" to make one, and it probably took longer to list it all out, lol.

One of the complications is that Squeak 4.1, which I also work in, does not include Metacello by default, so I have to write an Installer script.  I still find it confusing and frustrating that there are both Gofer and Installer.  Why don't we standardize on one or merge them?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

El lun, 06-09-2010 a las 14:26 -0700, Sean P. DeNigris escribió:

> Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez-2 wrote:
> >
> > This begs for a ConfigurationOfUbiquiTalk :)
> >

> Yes, I didn't want to "take the time" to make one, and it probably took
> longer to list it all out, lol.
>
> One of the complications is that Squeak 4.1, which I also work in, does not
> include Metacello by default, so I have to write an Installer script.

But metacello doesn't need to be installed in the image.

Installer ss project: 'MetacelloRepository'; install:
'ConfigurationOfUbiquiTalk';

will install the configuration and the configuration  autobootstrap
Metacello in the image if not installed.

> still find it confusing and frustrating that there are both Gofer and
> Installer.  Why don't we standardize on one or merge them?

Long story, is like the bike shed topic. Every one has an opinion,
including me :).

Installer AFAIK does a lot of things, so in a way it was bloated, that
was the reason for gofer showing up (also the fact that installer didn't
unload packages and gofer does, I think).

But installer is used mainly to install packages from squeaksource, just
as gofer, and the other possible uses are seldom, if ever, used.
But that is the reason of keeping Installer loaded, just in case, you
know ;)

But well, the configuration install metacello if needed. That was my
point. Also, we would love to see one more configuration  in the
repository.

Also, this permits other configuration to use it without knowing its
internals (that is, what packages depends on)

Cheers and thanks for the work!

> Sean

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez-2 wrote
But metacello doesn't need to be installed in the image.
Yes.  I'm being impatient - I sometimes find myself wanting to just "check something out" quickly in Squeak and don't feel like waiting for Metacello to load, which often takes longer than the project I wanted to load in the first place!

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez-2 wrote
Installer AFAIK does a lot of things, so in a way it was bloated, that
was the reason for gofer showing up (also the fact that installer didn't
unload packages and gofer does, I think).

But installer is used mainly to install packages from squeaksource, just
as gofer, and the other possible uses are seldom, if ever, used.
But that is the reason of keeping Installer loaded, just in case, you
know ;)
Thanks for the background.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 6 Sep 2010, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez wrote:

snip

"Installer AFAIK does a lot of things, so in a way it was bloated, that
was the reason for gofer showing up (also the fact that installer didn't
unload packages and gofer does, I think)."

Installer can unload Monticello packages (besides being able to load stuff
from sources which are not used by Pharo users) and I'm pretty sure it
does it the same way as Gofer does (this is a feature of MC).

Levente

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Thanks Sean.

Noury
On 6 sept. 2010, at 23:03, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> The updated rST and UbiquiTalk versions now live in their main repos (thanks
> to Noury for access).  The installation script is now:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'KomHttpServer';
> package: 'DynamicBindings';
> package: 'KomServices';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'rST';
> package: 'rST';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'OSProcess';
> package: 'OSProcess';
> load.
>
> Gofer new
>      squeaksource: 'UbiquiTalk';
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Platform.pharo';
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Utilities';  "depends on Platform"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Kernel'; "depends on Utilities"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Cache'; "depends on Kernel"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-GUI'; "depends on Kernel"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Plugins'; "depends on Kernel"
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-PDA';
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Property Editors';
> package: 'UbiquiTalk-Tests';
> package: 'UTAllServices';
> load.
>
> Sean

Noury

On 6 sept. 2010, at 23:26, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez-2 wrote:
>>
>> This begs for a ConfigurationOfUbiquiTalk :)
>>

> Yes, I didn't want to "take the time" to make one, and it probably took
> longer to list it all out, lol.
>
> One of the complications is that Squeak 4.1, which I also work in, does not
> include Metacello by default, so I have to write an Installer script.  I
> still find it confusing and frustrating that there are both Gofer and
> Installer.  Why don't we standardize on one or merge them?

BTW, currently at Douai we don't have much man-power.
So, we decided to work only on Pharo.

Noury

El mar, 07-09-2010 a las 07:57 +0200, Levente Uzonyi escribió:

> On Mon, 6 Sep 2010, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez wrote:
>

> snip
>
> "Installer AFAIK does a lot of things, so in a way it was bloated, that
> was the reason for gofer showing up (also the fact that installer didn't
> unload packages and gofer does, I think)."
>
> Installer can unload Monticello packages (besides being able to load stuff
> from sources which are not used by Pharo users) and I'm pretty sure it
> does it the same way as Gofer does (this is a feature of MC).

Exactly, that is the reason that I put AFAIK, and the reason I said it
was bloated. The fact that you can download from a Mantis, squeakmap,
GOODs, a magma repo, universes or a ftp repo has little impact if 99% of
the times you are downloading from http repos squeaksource and
gemstone. :)

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez-2 wrote
Exactly, that is the reason that I put AFAIK, and the reason I said it
was bloated. The fact that you can download from a Mantis, squeakmap,
GOODs, a magma repo, universes or a ftp repo has little impact if 99% of
the times you are downloading from http repos squeaksource and
gemstone. :)
[thinking out loud] This sounds like a great reason to clean and modularize, but why a whole new thing.
Cheers,
Sean

El mar, 07-09-2010 a las 19:22 -0700, Sean P. DeNigris escribió:

> Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez-2 wrote:
> >
> > Exactly, that is the reason that I put AFAIK, and the reason I said it
> > was bloated. The fact that you can download from a Mantis, squeakmap,
> > GOODs, a magma repo, universes or a ftp repo has little impact if 99% of
> > the times you are downloading from http repos squeaksource and
> > gemstone. :)
> >

> [thinking out loud] This sounds like a great reason to clean and modularize,
> but why a whole new thing.

Yes I agree, but those download/install options are in Installer-Core :)
so maybe splitting the core in Installer-ReallyCore (or
Installer-Atom :) would be the way.
Anyway, Gofer was created by Lukas, maybe because he could, maybe
because the maintainer of Installer wasn't reachable, whatever. The fact
is that nothing of those features have been missed since gofer is widely
used in Pharo. So maybe they were really not needed. Less is more.

Cheers

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

sean I do not know your computer but mine does not have a 5 inches floppy, 3.5 floppy, serial port, RS2332.
Does it answer your question?
Side remark: lukas probably write gofer because he needed something
        - well written
        - robust
        - small with only the code he needs
        - with tests
        so he did it and instead of keeping it for himself he accepted the **hassle**
                - to get pointed as a bad guy,
                - merge our changes....
And we all thank him for that!
Lukas and other continue to rewrite everything you want :)
I have a long list in my pocket (changelist, messageset, ...)

So changes is good, non backward compatibility is good (look at apple).
Let us face it and learn.

Stef

El mié, 08-09-2010 a las 08:18 +0200, Stéphane Ducasse escribió:

> sean I do not know your computer but mine does not have a 5 inches floppy, 3.5 floppy, serial port, RS2332.
> Does it answer your question?
> Side remark: lukas probably write gofer because he needed something
> - well written
> - robust
> - small with only the code he needs
> - with tests
> so he did it and instead of keeping it for himself he accepted the **hassle**
> - to get pointed as a bad guy,
> - merge our changes....
> And we all thank him for that!
> Lukas and other continue to rewrite everything you want :)
> I have a long list in my pocket (changelist, messageset, ...)
>
> So changes is good, non backward compatibility is good (look at apple).

+100 :)

> Let us face it and learn.
>
> Stef
>

> > Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez-2 wrote:
> >>
> >> Exactly, that is the reason that I put AFAIK, and the reason I said it
> >> was bloated. The fact that you can download from a Mantis, squeakmap,
> >> GOODs, a magma repo, universes or a ftp repo has little impact if 99% of
> >> the times you are downloading from http repos squeaksource and
> >> gemstone. :)
> >>

> > [thinking out loud] This sounds like a great reason to clean and modularize,
> > but why a whole new thing.
> > --

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
Side remark: lukas probably write gofer because he needed something
        - well written
        - robust
        - small with only the code he needs
        - with tests
        so he did it and instead of keeping it for himself he accepted the **hassle**
                - to get pointed as a bad guy,
                - merge our changes....
And we all thank him for that!
<snip>
So changes is good, non backward compatibility is good (look at apple).
Let us face it and learn.
Okay, thank you for the explanation.  And thank you Lukas for doing that work.  See you at ESUG!!!

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: UbiquiTalk running in Pharo 1.1