Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

Brad Selfridge
When I try to install Pharo 3.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, I get the following error when running the "sudo apt-get install pharo-launcher" command:

 pharo-launcher : Depends: pharo-vm-desktop:i386 but it is not installable

Brad Selfridge

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

nacho
Try deleting the PPA: stable
and adding /unstable
that should do it

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA
Prosavic SRL

Tel: (011) 4542-6714

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 4:22 PM, [hidden email] [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
When I try to install Pharo 3.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, I get the following error when running the "sudo apt-get install pharo-launcher" command:

 pharo-launcher : Depends: pharo-vm-desktop:i386 but it is not installable

Brad Selfridge

http://forum.world.st/Ubunti-14-04-32bit-install-error-tp4805391.html
To start a new topic under Pharo Smalltalk Developers, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Pharo Smalltalk Developers, click here.
NAML

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

Brad Selfridge
I removed every package with the name "pharo" in it via the commands:

"sudo apt-get --purge remove pharo-vm-core"
"sudo apt-get --purge remove pharo-vm-core-i386"
"sudo apt-get --purge remove pharo-sources-files"

Then ran a "dpkg --get-selections | grep 'pharo*'" wheich returned nothing.

Then ran the following commands:

"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pharo/unstable"
"sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386"
"sudo apt-get update"
"sudo apt-get install pharo-launcher"

Did NOT solve the problem.
Brad Selfridge

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

Markus Fritsche-4

On 12.02.2015 21:30, [hidden email] wrote:

> I removed every package with the name "pharo" in it via the commands:
>
> "sudo apt-get --purge remove pharo-vm-core"
> "sudo apt-get --purge remove pharo-vm-core-i386"
> "sudo apt-get --purge remove pharo-sources-files"
>
> Then ran a "dpkg --get-selections | grep 'pharo*'" wheich returned nothing.
>
> Then ran the following commands:
>
> "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pharo/unstable"
> "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386"
> "sudo apt-get update"
> "sudo apt-get install pharo-launcher"
>

> Did NOT solve the problem.

Hi,

the recent built pharo launcher didn't work - I had to delete the
package. Unfortunately, the ppa meta data seems not to be updated
accordingly. Until I have a new pharo-launcher, please download
https://launchpad.net/~pharo/+archive/ubuntu/unstable/+files/pharo-launcher_2014.11.30-2~ppa1~trusty1_all.deb
and install it manually.

Best regards,
  Markus

Any idea when the new package might be available?  Not pushing, since I can always copy the image/binary from another machine.
Brad Selfridge

On 12.02.2015 22:59, [hidden email] wrote:
> Any idea when the new package might be available?  Not pushing, since I can
> always copy the image/binary from another machine.
As soon as there's a fixed image on
http://files.pharo.org/platform/launcher/blessed/ ... so not in my power ;)

Best regards
  Markus

One more question.  Is there anyone working on fixing the image?  The file server shows that the last image build was over a month ago.
Brad Selfridge

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

Markus Fritsche-4
Hello Brad,

Yes, there's already a fixed image in the queue, however, it's stuck
right now as far as I understand.

Best regards,
  Markus

On 12.02.2015 23:46, [hidden email] wrote:

> One more question.  Is there anyone working on fixing the image?  The file
> server shows that the last image build was over a month ago.
>

> -----
> Brad Selfridge

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

Damien Cassou

Markus Fritsche writes:

> Hello Brad,
>
> Yes, there's already a fixed image in the queue, however, it's
> stuck right now as far as I understand.

the Continuous Integration Server was down. But everything is
fixed now and you can enjoy the new launcher.

--
Damien Cassou http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

jrick
I just tried it (Ubuntu 14.04) and it doesn't work:

 pharo-launcher : Depends: pharo-vm-desktop:i386 but it is not installable

Jeff

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Markus Fritsche writes:

Hello Brad,

Yes, there's already a fixed image in the queue, however, it's stuck right now as far as I understand.

the Continuous Integration Server was down. But everything is fixed now and you can enjoy the new launcher.

--
Damien Cassou http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

--
Jochen "Jeff" Rick, Ph.D.
http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

Markus Fritsche-4
Hello Jeff,

does it work if you execute

dpkg --add-architecture i386

first?

Best regards,
  Markus

Skype ID: jochenrick

http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

jrick
I tried to do "sudo aptitude install ia32-libs" and got the following message:

No candidate version found for ia32-libs
No candidate version found for ia32-libs
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 40 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

Apparently getting ia32-libs in 14.04 is a known problem:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23182765/how-to-install-ia32-libs-in-ubuntu-14-04-lts-trusty-tahr
I've been trying some things recommended there but I can't seem to get it to work.

Cheers,

Jeff

Markus Fritsche writes:

Hello Brad,

Yes, there's already a fixed image in the queue, however, it's stuck right now as far as I understand.

the Continuous Integration Server was down. But everything is fixed now and you can enjoy the new launcher.

--
Damien Cassou http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

--
Jochen "Jeff" Rick, Ph.D.
http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

--
Jochen "Jeff" Rick, Ph.D.
http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

--
Jochen "Jeff" Rick, Ph.D.
http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

Ben Coman
Hi Markus,

I'm not using Linux at the moment, but just a vote of encouragement.  Looks like a maybe a bit of a tough nut to crack, and from a community aspect I appreciate you've taken up the gauntlet to do this...

(For non-native english speakers...
)

Markus Fritsche writes:

Hello Brad,

Yes, there's already a fixed image in the queue, however, it's stuck right now as far as I understand.

the Continuous Integration Server was down. But everything is fixed now and you can enjoy the new launcher.

--
Damien Cassou http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

--
Jochen "Jeff" Rick, Ph.D.
http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

--
Jochen "Jeff" Rick, Ph.D.
http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

--
Jochen "Jeff" Rick, Ph.D.
http://www.je77.com/
Skype ID: jochenrick

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
http://forum.world.st/Running-Pharo-on-Ubuntu-14-04-1-LTS-64-bit-td4805726.html

On 14.02.2015 20:51, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> http://forum.world.st/Running-Pharo-on-Ubuntu-14-04-1-LTS-64-bit-td4805726.html

Thanks for the work around.

The stable repository works again (confirmed with a virgin vm ;-).

Since the original created stable image, the dependencies have been
adjusted and I was missing a package within the chain. This is fixed now.

Kind regards,
  Markus

Re: Ubunti 14.04 32bit install error

Markus Fritsche-4
Hello Brad,

did you do this as posted to pharo-users?
-----------
If you're *not* using pillar or phratch, and have problems updating the pharo packages, please execute

dpkg -l | grep -i pharo | awk ' { print $2 } ' | xargs sudo apt-get -y
purge ; sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install pharo-launcher

"dpkg -l | grep -i pharo | awk ' { print $2 } '" will list all installed
pharo-packages, xargs will give that result to apt-get for the packages
to be purged (that is, remove all their data and metadata - the images
that you have in your home directory will NOT be affected).

Kind regards,
  Markus

On 19.02.2015 03:25, [hidden email] wrote:
Just tried installing "pharo-launcher" again and am getting the following
error:

/var/cache/apt/archives/pharo-vm-core-i386_2014.11.29-16~ppa1~trusty1_i386.deb

-----
Brad Selfridge