Ubuntu 64

Jeff Gray
OK, so I learned my lesson with not clicking the minimise all in ubuntu and it seems to be working well. Now as part of putting together a new development machine I want to install Pharo in 64 bit Ubuntu. I'm not having much luck. Has anyone here done it?

Re: Ubuntu 64

Runar Jordahl
I am running Pharo on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit. But I am running the 32 bit VM.

I installed Squeak first, and then open the Pharo 1.1.1 image using
the Squeak VM. To tell you the truth, I am a bit confused about how I
managed to do it. I will try again in a new installation of Ubuntu,
and document my steps. Will post again later.

Runar

2011/3/13 Jeff Gray <[hidden email]>:

> OK, so I learned my lesson with not clicking the minimise all in ubuntu and
> it seems to be working well. Now as part of putting together a new
> development machine I want to install Pharo in 64 bit Ubuntu. I'm not having
> much luck. Has anyone here done it?

Re: Ubuntu 64

Paul DeBruicker
2011/3/13 Jeff Gray <[hidden email]>:
> OK, so I learned my lesson with not clicking the minimise all in ubuntu and
> it seems to be working well. Now as part of putting together a new
> development machine I want to install Pharo in 64 bit Ubuntu. I'm not having
> much luck. Has anyone here done it?
>
> --

Yes.

You have to install the package ia32-libs to run the 32 bit VM in the
64 bit OS.  I have not tried a 64 bit VM.

apt-get install ia32-libs

Then you should be able to run the one-click image from
http://www.pharo-project.org with no problems.

You can also install the latest CogVM from here:
http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2359/coglinux.tgz

Install Cog by unzipping that package in /usr/local/ (or maybe
/usr/local/squeak/  I forget)

If you install the CogVM you have to delete the so.UUIDPlugin from the
VM directory or your VM will crash when you try to use any of the UUID
classes which most of the time for me is saving work with Monticello.

Re: Ubuntu 64

Jeff Gray
Thanks all.
I checked the ia32 lib file and it was already there.
So, I tried again.
I took the one-click image and:
- copied squeakvm and all the so files into /usr/local/lib/pharo.
- copied the image, changes, sources and all the bundle folders into /home/jeff/Pharo-1.1.1.
- added a menu item executing /usr/local/lib/pharo /home/jeff/Pharo-1.1.1/pharo.image.

Got a permissions problem message but a quick chmod sorted that out.
Now all good.
Not sure what the problem was first time round. Do-over always good :-)

One question - what are all the .bundle folders and do I need them?

Thanks, Jeff.

Re: Ubuntu 64

Paul DeBruicker
On 03/14/2011 07:03 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:44:03 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jeff Gray<[hidden email]>
> To:[hidden email]
>
> Thanks all.
> I checked the ia32 lib file and it was already there.
> So, I tried again.
> I took the one-click image and:
> - copied squeakvm and all the so files into /usr/local/lib/pharo.
> - copied the image, changes, sources and all the bundle folders into
> /home/jeff/Pharo-1.1.1.
> - added a menu item executing /usr/local/lib/pharo
> /home/jeff/Pharo-1.1.1/pharo.image.
>
> Got a permissions problem message but a quick chmod sorted that out.
> Now all good.
> Not sure what the problem was first time round. Do-over always good:-)
>
> One question - what are all the .bundle folders and do I need them?
>
> Thanks, Jeff.

I think the .bundle files are for the Mac version. You do not need them
on Ubuntu.   The One-Click app is a single download designed to run on
Mac, Linux, or Windows.  I don't think you needed to copy those files
around though what you describe doing certainly won't hurt anything.  In
the base directoy of the one-click image is a file 'squeak.sh' and if
you just open a terminal and run that script the Pharo environment
should come up.