Ugly crashes in 09.09.3 - any ideas?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I moved my code into 09.09.3 web, and it is crashing badly - the vm just dies, no indication (that I have found) as to why.  Reminds me of working in C on 16 bit systems  =:(

By sneaking up on the crash, I see that it is quitting when asking ODBCConnection to connect.  At one point, just inspecting a handle is enough to blow away the vm.  Suggestions would be appreciated.  I might set up a new image with just ODBC to try to reproduce it.

Bill

Re: Ugly crashes in 09.09.3 - any ideas?

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/10/2 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
I moved my code into 09.09.3 web, and it is crashing badly - the vm just dies, no indication (that I have found) as to why.  Reminds me of working in C on 16 bit systems  =:(

If you are in Linux, run it from command line so that you can see the output on it ?  If you are in Windows, you can see the dump file ?.

what about the PharoDebug.log ?

By sneaking up on the crash, I see that it is quitting when asking ODBCConnection to connect.

Please, don't understand me wrong, but probably you have a "bug" in your ODBC driver. I have A LOT of segmentation faults while developing SqueakDBX. And ALWAYS was mine problem (wrong order of calls, or whatever) or an OpenDBX (ODBC C library in your case) problem.

I don't think it is a FFI or Pharo related problem.

  At one point, just inspecting a handle is enough to blow away the vm.  Suggestions would be appreciated.  I might set up a new image with just ODBC to try to reproduce it.

Yeah. Take a clean and latest PharoCore and try to load it there.

Best,

Mariano

Bill

Re: Ugly crashes in 09.09.3 - any ideas?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Mariano,

Actually, I bought a laptop for two reasons: (1) they "went and got cheap" while I wasn't looking, so there was absolutely no reason for me not to have one at these prices and capabilities; (2) to put Ubuntu on it so I'd have a Linux box with me.

The bottom line: a segmentation fault.  I saved the text to a file and will check it for anything that I dare not release (passwords, etc.) and then can post it if it will help.

There has been no debug log that I can find, at least not associated with these crashes - like I said, they're ugly.  The two worst things, IMHO, that a computer can do are freeze, and a close second is to simply quit w/o saying why.

Understood about a bug in ODBC, but that does not explain why the earlier image has no troubles.  I might have not loaded things correctly, maybe there is a new version of the package that breaks something.  However, Pharo should give me some clues vs. just rolling over and disappearing from RAM w/o a trace.

Respectfully, I do think it is a Pharo/FFI problem, if only that something can crash it so easily and completely with no diagnostic data.

More to come, and I like Indian food, so if I have to eat crow, I'd appreciate a good hot vindaloo :)

Minor disagreements aside, THANKS for your reply.  The command-line idea was very helpful (I should have thought of it, and will next time).

Bill

[...]

There was once a problem with FFI in Pharo where the solution was to recreate the array of special objects again. To do that, just evaluate:

Smalltalk recreateSpecialObjectsArray

I don't know, but try it. Perhaps there is a problem with that, but I don't think so.

More to come, and I like Indian food, so if I have to eat crow, I'd appreciate a good hot vindaloo :)

Minor disagreements aside, THANKS for your reply.  The command-line idea was very helpful (I should have thought of it, and will next time).

Yeah, if you are in Linux, it is always better to run these things from command line ;)

Bill

Re: Ugly crashes in 09.09.3 - any ideas?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
No help.  It still gives a segmentation fault.  I will try the October release to see if it does any better.