Unable to Allocate Virtual Address Space

Unable to Allocate Virtual Address Space

Ed Baker
A customer is getting this error when starting our application: Unable to Allocate Virtual Address Space.  They say it only happens when they are already running Dragon Naturally Speaking.  They don't have this problem starting any other program, and they didn't used to have this problem starting a much older version of our program.  And if they run our program first, there is no problem.  Any ideas how to debug or fix this?  I'm getting more information on OS, memory, etc.

Thanks.

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: Unable to Allocate Virtual Address Space

Möbus. Manfred

The VM has to allocate the „smalltalk“ memory in one contigous block, the size of which is defined in the VirtualMachineConfiguration in arenaBytes. Maybe you have modified this value for your new application to a bigger value.

Dragon probably installs a hook dll which is loaded into each process as soon as it starts. This dll may have an “odd” preferred loading address right in the middle of the 2 GB that windows provides for each process. Then when the vm actually starts operating, there is no contiguous block of sufficient size available.

When your app is started first, it can allocate the memory. When later Dragon is started, and the dlls injected, the OS loader finds the preferred loading address already occupied, so it rebases the dll and loads it somewhere else.

Solutions: maybe you can do with a smaller value for arenaBytes. Or you might “rebase” the offending dlls of Dragon – there are some Microsoft tools for this; no guarantee that Dragon will work after this, and you have to repeat this step with every new version.

Manfred