UnhandledError instead of DNU?

Stéphane Ducasse
In 12033

when I try to generate a DNU

example

        1 foo

I get an handledError and not a debugger

I'm trying to identify what changes this behavior.

Re: UnhandledError instead of DNU?

Gary Chambers-4
Noticed that a few weeks ago if that's any help.

Regards, Gary

> I get an handledError and not a debugger
>
> I'm trying to identify what changes this behavior.
>
> Stef

Re: UnhandledError instead of DNU?

Stéphane Ducasse
It was working in 12023 but no time to check (I'm sick)

Stef

On Jul 4, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Noticed that a few weeks ago if that's any help.
>
> Regards, Gary
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]>

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

The same problem is for 1 error: 'foo'.

the problem starts in UnhandledError >> defaultAction. The original
implementation calls directly
^ToolSet debugError: exception. The new one calls UIManager that calls
ToolSet. I expect that the problem will be somewhere in the hardcoded
count of contexts in the debugger.

Firstly I expected that the problem is in the missing return (that
should be placed back).

Cheers,
-- Pavel

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It was working in 12023 but no time to check (I'm sick)
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 4, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:
>
>> Noticed that a few weeks ago if that's any help.
>>
>> Regards, Gary
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]>

Hi pavel

to explain it to others

was in 12023

UnhandledError>>defaultAction
        "The current computation is terminated. The cause of the error should be logged or reported to the user. If the program is operating in an interactive debugging environment the computation should be suspended and the debugger activated."
        ^ToolSet debugError: exception.

and now in 12033
we got

UnhandledError>>defaultAction

        UIManager default unhandledErrorDefaultAction: self

DummyManager>>unhandledErrorDefaultAction: anException

        Transcript show: '*** EXCEPTION ***'; cr.
        Transcript show: anException; cr.
        Transcript show: (thisContext stack first: (20 min: thisContext stack size)); cr.
        anException isResumable ifTrue: [ anException resume ]

MorphicUIManager>>unhandledErrorDefaultAction: anException

        "The current computation is terminated. The cause of the error should be logged or reported to the user. If the program is operating in an interactive debugging environment the computation should be suspended and the debugger activated."
        ^ToolSet debugError: anException.

Now this raises an interesting question: we should start to think a bit more about the architecture of the system.

For example:
        UIManager role vs ToolSet role

        for the UI do we want to have it based on globals or on exception.
I discussed that often with lukas and we came to the conclusion that exceptions are better because we
could trap differently per thread different aspects (If I recall correctly).

Re: UnhandledError instead of DNU?

of course

Stef

On Jul 4, 2010, at 4:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi pavel
>
> to explain it to others
>
> was in 12023
>
> UnhandledError>>defaultAction
> "The current computation is terminated. The cause of the error should be logged or reported to the user. If the program is operating in an interactive debugging environment the computation should be suspended and the debugger activated."
> ^ToolSet debugError: exception.
>

> and now in 12033
> we got
>
> UnhandledError>>defaultAction
>
> UIManager default unhandledErrorDefaultAction: self
>

> DummyManager>>unhandledErrorDefaultAction: anException
>
> Transcript show: '*** EXCEPTION ***'; cr.
> Transcript show: anException; cr.
> Transcript show: (thisContext stack first: (20 min: thisContext stack size)); cr.
> anException isResumable ifTrue: [ anException resume ]
>

> MorphicUIManager>>unhandledErrorDefaultAction: anException
>
> "The current computation is terminated. The cause of the error should be logged or reported to the user. If the program is operating in an interactive debugging environment the computation should be suspended and the debugger activated."
> ^ToolSet debugError: anException.
>
> Now this raises an interesting question: we should start to think a bit more about the architecture of the system.
>
> For example:
> UIManager role vs ToolSet role
>
> for the UI do we want to have it based on globals or on exception.
> I discussed that often with lukas and we came to the conclusion that exceptions are better because we
> could trap differently per thread different aspects (If I recall correctly).
>
> Stef

Re: UnhandledError instead of DNU?

Pavel Krivanek-3
fixed... shame on me :-)