Unicode display support in text morphs?

LawsonEnglish
I was going to start a project or two related to learning Japanese and I need to be able to input (and display) Japanese characters in squeak text morphs. This doesn't seem to be possible?

I've got all sorts of Japanese fonts loaded on my Mac, but not a clue how to display such characters.

I'm trying to do a bit of translation of juvenile books and want to track which words I've already dealt with so I don't have to recreate the wheel constantly. I can do it in TextEdit and other Mac text editing applications, but the ability to do it in Squeak would open up vast new worlds in this regard.

BUT, I can't see how to get started.

Thanks for any advice.

For example, how do I display 「こんにちは」 or 「今日は」 surrounded by English text in a text morph? Is this even possible?

Lawson

Re: Unicode display support in text morphs?

timrowledge
Looks like you got no reply on this earlier, so maybe this will help.

We actually sort-of answered your problem a little while back at the end of ’17 - see http://forum.world.st/Unicode-method-returns-quot-quot-td5043810.html and in particular Bert’s suggestion to just install the .ttf file.

tim
Dukedom: aristocratic birth control

Re: Unicode display support in text morphs?

LawsonEnglish
Thanks. The solution you suggested is almost incomprehensible to me.

I'm using a Mac and it sounds like perhaps the plugin isn't available on the first place?

This is somewhat ironic since Apple's unicode support is better than anyone else's (I'm told that Unicode was originally a joint project with Apple and XEROX back in the day, anyway).

I've got my own workaround currently which is to  do screen shots of BBEDIT or TextEdit ,one large-point char at a time, and import the bitmaps into squeak. This is repugnantly awful, but oh well.

> On Jan 26, 2018, at 5:11 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Looks like you got no reply on this earlier, so maybe this will help.
>
> We actually sort-of answered your problem a little while back at the end of ’17 - see http://forum.world.st/Unicode-method-returns-quot-quot-td5043810.html and in particular Bert’s suggestion to just install the .ttf file.
>
> tim
> Dukedom: aristocratic birth control

Re: Unicode display support in text morphs?

marcel.taeumel
Hi L,

does this work for you?

Best,