Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

Graham Dicker
I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++ .NET
would not open any projects. The error message was something about the
application not being installed and .vcproj. I hastily re-installed Dolphin
and to my great relief C++ environment is OK again but I would still like to
uninstall Dolphin. Sorry not to have an accurate copy of the error message
for you but I am scared to repeat the experiment in case my C++ projects get
damaged. Is this a known problem, and is there a cure please?

TIA

Graham Dicker

Re: Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

Andy Bower
Graham,

> I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++
> .NET would not open any projects. The error message was something
> about the application not being installed and .vcproj. I hastily
> re-installed Dolphin and to my great relief C++ environment is OK
> again but I would still like to uninstall Dolphin. Sorry not to have
> an accurate copy of the error message for you but I am scared to
> repeat the experiment in case my C++ projects get damaged. Is this a
> known problem, and is there a cure please?

This is not a known problem; we've had no prior reports of anything
similar. Can you let use know which version of Visual Studio .NET you
have installed?

--
Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

Jeff M.
Graham Dicker wrote:
> I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++ .NET
> would not open any projects. The error message was something about the
> application not being installed and .vcproj.

During the uninstall process, did Windows pop up a dialog stating that
a DLL didn't appear to be used by any other programs and ask if you'd
like to remove it, keep it, etc?

Jeff M.

Re: Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

Graham Dicker
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Graham,
>
> > I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++
> > .NET would not open any projects. The error message was something
> > about the application not being installed and .vcproj. I hastily
> > re-installed Dolphin and to my great relief C++ environment is OK
> > again but I would still like to uninstall Dolphin. Sorry not to have
> > an accurate copy of the error message for you but I am scared to
> > repeat the experiment in case my C++ projects get damaged. Is this a
> > known problem, and is there a cure please?
>
> This is not a known problem; we've had no prior reports of anything
> similar. Can you let use know which version of Visual Studio .NET you
> have installed?

The Help About says:-

Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Version 7.1.3088
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Version 1.1.4322

Graham Dicker

Re: Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

Graham Dicker
"Jeff M." <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Graham Dicker wrote:
> > I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++ .NET
> > would not open any projects. The error message was something about the
> > application not being installed and .vcproj.
>
> During the uninstall process, did Windows pop up a dialog stating that
> a DLL didn't appear to be used by any other programs and ask if you'd
> like to remove it, keep it, etc?
>
> Jeff M.

Jeff

No, uninstalling doesn't ask of those questions.

Graham Dicker

Re: Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

Graham Dicker
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Graham,
>
> > I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++
> > .NET would not open any projects. The error message was something
> > about the application not being installed and .vcproj. I hastily
> > re-installed Dolphin and to my great relief C++ environment is OK
> > again but I would still like to uninstall Dolphin. Sorry not to have
> > an accurate copy of the error message for you but I am scared to
> > repeat the experiment in case my C++ projects get damaged. Is this a
> > known problem, and is there a cure please?
>
> This is not a known problem; we've had no prior reports of anything
> similar. Can you let use know which version of Visual Studio .NET you
> have installed?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Andy Bower
> Dolphin Support
> www.object-arts.com

Andy

I took a chance and uninstalled Dolphin again. The .NET IDE then says (on
trying to open a project):

The application for project 'E:\DEV\DevCaps2\DevCaps2.vcproj' is not
installed. Make sure the application for the project type (.vcproj) is
installed.

I then go through the intall again including unlock and save the image and
this then makes .NET happy to open the DevCaps2  project again but it forgot
what the state was e.g. which files were being edited. The state of projects
that I didn't try to open is preserved OK.

Graham Dicker

Re: Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

James Foster-3
I've got Microsoft Development Environment 2003 Version 7.1.3088 on a
machine where an install and uninstall of Dolphin X6 Community Edition did
not interfere with the ability to open C++ projects.

James Foster

"Graham Dicker" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:TJJCg.64744$[hidden email]...

> "Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
>> Graham,
>>
>> > I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++
>> > .NET would not open any projects. The error message was something
>> > about the application not being installed and .vcproj. I hastily
>> > re-installed Dolphin and to my great relief C++ environment is OK
>> > again but I would still like to uninstall Dolphin. Sorry not to have
>> > an accurate copy of the error message for you but I am scared to
>> > repeat the experiment in case my C++ projects get damaged. Is this a
>> > known problem, and is there a cure please?
>>
>> This is not a known problem; we've had no prior reports of anything
>> similar. Can you let use know which version of Visual Studio .NET you
>> have installed?
>
> The Help About says:-
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Version 7.1.3088
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Version 1.1.4322
>
> Graham Dicker

Re: Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

Graham
"Graham Dicker" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:qJnCg.139185$[hidden email]...

>I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++ .NET
> would not open any projects. The error message was something about the
> application not being installed and .vcproj. I hastily re-installed
> Dolphin
> and to my great relief C++ environment is OK again but I would still like
> uninstall Dolphin. Sorry not to have an accurate copy of the error message
> for you but I am scared to repeat the experiment in case my C++ projects
> get
> damaged. Is this a known problem, and is there a cure please?

I solved it. The uninstall script was deleting msvcp71.dll without asking
and that was causing the problem. I removed the delete command from the
uninstall script and now all is well.

Graham Dicker

Re: Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

Andy Bower
Graham,

> > I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++
> > .NET would not open any projects. The error message was something
> > about the application not being installed and .vcproj. I hastily
> > re-installed  Dolphin and to my great relief C++ environment is OK
> > again but I would still like  to uninstall Dolphin. Sorry not to
> > have an accurate copy of the error message for you but I am scared
> > to repeat the experiment in case my C++ projects  get damaged. Is
> > this a known problem, and is there a cure please?
>
> I solved it. The uninstall script was deleting msvcp71.dll without
> asking and that was causing the problem. I removed the delete command
> from the uninstall script and now all is well.

Thanks for tracking this down. However, I don't understand why this is
happening.  Currently, we install MSVCP71 and MSVCR71 into the Dolphin
Program Files directory and also into the Object Arts Common Files
directory.  I'm looking at the set up builder script now and we don't
copy these DLLs into system32 (or any other shared location) so I can't
understand why they would be removed from there. Is it the copy from
system32 that is being removed by the uninstall?

When you run the Dolphin setup program, what does the installer
announce its version number as?

--
Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: Uninstalling Dolphin broke my C++

Graham Dicker-2
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Graham,
>
>> > I uninstalled my copy of X6 Community Edition and afterwards my C++
>> > .NET would not open any projects. The error message was something
>> > about the application not being installed and .vcproj. I hastily
>> > re-installed  Dolphin and to my great relief C++ environment is OK
>> > again but I would still like  to uninstall Dolphin. Sorry not to
>> > have an accurate copy of the error message for you but I am scared
>> > to repeat the experiment in case my C++ projects  get damaged. Is
>> > this a known problem, and is there a cure please?
>>
>> I solved it. The uninstall script was deleting msvcp71.dll without
>> asking and that was causing the problem. I removed the delete command
>> from the uninstall script and now all is well.
>
> Thanks for tracking this down. However, I don't understand why this is
> happening.  Currently, we install MSVCP71 and MSVCR71 into the Dolphin
> Program Files directory and also into the Object Arts Common Files
> directory.  I'm looking at the set up builder script now and we don't
> copy these DLLs into system32 (or any other shared location) so I can't
> understand why they would be removed from there. Is it the copy from
> system32 that is being removed by the uninstall?
>
> When you run the Dolphin setup program, what does the installer
> announce its version number as?

If I hover over the exe a tooltip appears saying: File Version 2005.6.0.5
Date Created 29/01/06 17:26. The bad news I can't make it do it again. I
have installed and uninstalled 6 times and it never puts any MSVC DLLs
anywhere. I am pretty sure the original uninstall script deleted the dll
from system32. Perhaps this is an old version that shouldn't be used anyway?

Graham Dicker