Unity Software DLLs a problem going to 64 bit

Unity Software DLLs a problem going to 64 bit

Bob Long
I am planning to move to the 64 bit VA Smalltalk but when I tried I encountered a problem, Our existing code uses 3 DLLs UTYOLE14.DLL, UTYOLE20.DLL and UTYOLECG.DLL.  As I understand, Unity software is no longer in business and these 32 bit DLLs don't have a 64 bit counterpart.  So my questions are:
1- have you used these DLLs and if so, (I worked with them at Chubb in NJ and now at Trintech in Dallas - at one time it was the way to go)
2- Have you migrated to the 64 bit app and if so,
3- have you found an alternative to these DLLS or performed some reverse engineering and if so
4- This is the big one, can you share your solution.

Thanks

Bob Long

Re: Unity Software DLLs a problem going to 64 bit

Seth Berman
Greetings Bob,

A couple of years ago we tried to help a few of our customers solve this issue.
We even tracked down some of the Unity guys (via LinkedIn I think), but were told that they (and the other founders) didn't have the source code.
We looked at a few other avenues involving reverse-engineering the compiled code, 32/64-bit bridging technology at the dll level, socket client/server bridging, but the
problem we ran into was the use of process specific window handles that didn't bridge well.

The reverse-engineering route was something we proved internally we could do on a technical level, but it would be a lot of work for us.
And then there is the matter of the ethical/legal issues we open the company up to, which I'm not interested in dealing with:)

But believe me, we would have loved to solve this issue for folks....and I certainly am interested in hearing if/how anyone else solved this issue.

- Seth

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 12:23:23 PM UTC-4, Bob Long wrote:
I am planning to move to the 64 bit VA Smalltalk but when I tried I encountered a problem, Our existing code uses 3 DLLs UTYOLE14.DLL, UTYOLE20.DLL and UTYOLECG.DLL.  As I understand, Unity software is no longer in business and these 32 bit DLLs don't have a 64 bit counterpart.  So my questions are:
1- have you used these DLLs and if so, (I worked with them at Chubb in NJ and now at Trintech in Dallas - at one time it was the way to go)
2- Have you migrated to the 64 bit app and if so,
3- have you found an alternative to these DLLS or performed some reverse engineering and if so
4- This is the big one, can you share your solution.

Thanks

Bob Long

Re: Unity Software DLLs a problem going to 64 bit

Bob Long
Hi Seth,

I want to take advantage of the full capability of 9.2.2 when it comes out and hat means migrating to the 64 bit version.
We have a lot of incentive to do this as Trintech is not looking to replace VA Smalltalk as their development environment of choice.
If we approach it as a reverse engineering problem, we may not face the issues you would have to since we bought the original DLLs and,
We would not be doing this to profit from the reverse engineering of the DLLs but solely for our own internal use.  Me may have to do it this way.

Cheers

Bob

On Monday, 1 June 2020 12:01:39 UTC-5, Seth Berman wrote:
[...]

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 10:31:39 AM UTC-7, Bob Long wrote:
Hi Seth,

I want to take advantage of the full capability of 9.2.2 when it comes out and hat means migrating to the 64 bit version.
We have a lot of incentive to do this as Trintech is not looking to replace VA Smalltalk as their development environment of choice.
If we approach it as a reverse engineering problem, we may not face the issues you would have to since we bought the original DLLs and,
We would not be doing this to profit from the reverse engineering of the DLLs but solely for our own internal use.  Me may have to do it this way.

Microsoft seems to recommend the technique in this article. Perhaps that's a viable option for you.
https://blog.mattmags.com/2007/06/30/accessing-32-bit-dlls-from-64-bit-code/