Universes question

Brian Brown-6
Hello all,

I just downloaded pharo0.1-10243dev09.02.3 from the website and
updated to the latest. I expected to see the Universe browser in the
menus, but it isn't there, So I checked the image, and Universes is
not there.

I thought the Universes code was in the dev image.... what am I missing?

Regards,

- Brian

Re: Universes question

Damien Cassou
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Brian Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just downloaded pharo0.1-10243dev09.02.3 from the website and
> updated to the latest. I expected to see the Universe browser in the
> menus, but it isn't there, So I checked the image, and Universes is
> not there.
>
> I thought the Universes code was in the dev image.... what am I missing?

Hehe, I'm playing with all of you :-D. Some recent pharo-dev images
have been generated using Sake/Packages. The very latest has been
generated by a simple script (ScriptLoader>>buildPharoDev) from the
latest monticello versions of the packages.

I'm in the need of comments. Please tell me what you need in the
pharo-dev images. Remember that these images are not for me for you.

To install Universes:

Installer ss
        project: 'XMLSupport';
        install: 'XML-Parser'.

Installer ss
        project: 'universes';
        install: 'Universes'.

Installer ss
        project: 'OBUniverse';
        install: 'OBUniverse'

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Universes question

Stéphane Ducasse
disable OB-debugger for now.

On Mar 3, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Brian Brown <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I just downloaded pharo0.1-10243dev09.02.3 from the website and
>> updated to the latest. I expected to see the Universe browser in the
>> menus, but it isn't there, So I checked the image, and Universes is
>> not there.
>>
>> I thought the Universes code was in the dev image.... what am I
>> missing?
>
> Hehe, I'm playing with all of you :-D. Some recent pharo-dev images
> have been generated using Sake/Packages. The very latest has been
> generated by a simple script (ScriptLoader>>buildPharoDev) from the
> latest monticello versions of the packages.
>
> I'm in the need of comments. Please tell me what you need in the
> pharo-dev images. Remember that these images are not for me for you.
>
> To install Universes:
>
> Installer ss
> project: 'XMLSupport';
> install: 'XML-Parser'.
>
> Installer ss
> project: 'universes';
> install: 'Universes'.
>
> Installer ss
> project: 'OBUniverse';
> install: 'OBUniverse'
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Universes question

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> disable OB-debugger for now.

the latest version is quite good. I would prefer you try it before I
remove it. What do you think?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Universes question

Stéphane Ducasse
I do not know
but pharo-dev when out should be rock solid.
and the debugger should work 100% even 120%

Stef

On Mar 3, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> disable OB-debugger for now.
>
> the latest version is quite good. I would prefer you try it before I
> remove it. What do you think?
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Universes question

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I do not know
> but pharo-dev when out should be rock solid.
> and the debugger should work 100% even 120%

with the ob-debugger, we have a maintainer and a good code quality.
Using the ob-debugger now means that you give it a chance to improve
and be ready for the Pharo release.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Universes question

Janko Mivšek
Damien Cassou pravi:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

>> I do not know
>> but pharo-dev when out should be rock solid.
>> and the debugger should work 100% even 120%

> with the ob-debugger, we have a maintainer and a good code quality.
> Using the ob-debugger now means that you give it a chance to improve
> and be ready for the Pharo release.

I'm also for risking a bit, when there is a clear chance that any
possible problem will be solved immediately. This is a big encouragement
to the authors to finish their work in a way to become really useful and
stable 120%, as Stef said.

This is one of the ways how to avoid half-baked projects as we can see
them a lot around in Smalltalk.

To be honest, this is my way of encouraging myself as well :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Universes question

Alexandre Bergel
>> disable OB-debugger for now.
>
> the latest version is quite good. I would prefer you try it before I
> remove it. What do you think?

Few people around me were reluctant to use pharo-dev because of the
debugger.

I am for a new debugger, but maybe it was a bit premature.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Universes question

Dale
With OmniBrowser-dr.442 & OB-Tools-dkh.65, I believe that the outstanding issues are fixed...

Dale