Unix VM and MacIntel

12

Unix VM and MacIntel

Brian Brown-2
Hello all,

I downloaded the Squeak-3.9-8.i386-apple-darwin8.8.1 VM to run on my
MacBook Pro (Mac OSX 10.4.8) so I could use OSProcess for some
things. I used the inisqueak script and it copied fresh image files
and a link to the sources file as it should.

However, when I run squeak, the icon shows up on the Dock, but that
is the last indication you get. The squeak image never comes up and
the process has to be killed.

Has anyone seen this behavior before, or have any ideas? The Carbon
VM runs fine, fwiw, but it doesn't have the  OSProcess plugin built
as far as I can tell.

thanks!

Brian

Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

tblanchard
You have to go through the gunified-vm.c and remove all explicit
references to registers.  Then build it.

On Oct 13, 2006, at 9:19 AM, Brian Brown wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I downloaded the Squeak-3.9-8.i386-apple-darwin8.8.1 VM to run on
> my MacBook Pro (Mac OSX 10.4.8) so I could use OSProcess for some
> things. I used the inisqueak script and it copied fresh image files
> and a link to the sources file as it should.
>
> However, when I run squeak, the icon shows up on the Dock, but that
> is the last indication you get. The squeak image never comes up and
> the process has to be killed.
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior before, or have any ideas? The Carbon
> VM runs fine, fwiw, but it doesn't have the  OSProcess plugin built
> as far as I can tell.
>
> thanks!
>
> Brian

Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

Brian Brown-2
Thanks Todd, I think.

:)

On Oct 13, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> You have to go through the gunified-vm.c and remove all explicit
> references to registers.  Then build it.
>
> On Oct 13, 2006, at 9:19 AM, Brian Brown wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I downloaded the Squeak-3.9-8.i386-apple-darwin8.8.1 VM to run on
>> my MacBook Pro (Mac OSX 10.4.8) so I could use OSProcess for some
>> things. I used the inisqueak script and it copied fresh image
>> files and a link to the sources file as it should.
>>
>> However, when I run squeak, the icon shows up on the Dock, but
>> that is the last indication you get. The squeak image never comes
>> up and the process has to be killed.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this behavior before, or have any ideas? The
>> Carbon VM runs fine, fwiw, but it doesn't have the  OSProcess
>> plugin built as far as I can tell.
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> Brian

Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

Ian Piumarta-2
Brian,

> On Oct 13, 2006, at 9:19 AM, Brian Brown wrote:
>> I downloaded the Squeak-3.9-8.i386-apple-darwin8.8.1 VM
>> However, when I run squeak, the icon shows up on the Dock, but
>> that is the last indication you get.

There was a problem in the mutual exclusion code (specific to i386)
in the Quartz display driver that didn't show up while I was testing
it.  It froze waiting to obtain a lock.  Try this one instead:

http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-9.i386-apple-
darwin8.8.1.tar.gz

Or, if you prefer it clickable:

http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-9.app.tar.gz

(Either of these should run a lot faster than anything in which
"explicit references to registers" have been removed.)

Cheers,
Ian

Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

Colin Putney

On Oct 13, 2006, at 12:09 PM, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> There was a problem in the mutual exclusion code (specific to i386)
> in the Quartz display driver that didn't show up while I was
> testing it.  It froze waiting to obtain a lock.  Try this one instead:

[snip]

> http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-9.app.tar.gz

Hi Ian,

I downloaded this VM and it works fine. However, if I build the
tarball at the url below, I still encounter the bug. Is there some
build magic that you've applied to the binary release?

http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-9.src.tar.gz

thanks,

Colin

Re: Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

Ian Piumarta-2
Hi Colin,

> I downloaded this VM and it works fine. However, if I build the
> tarball at the url below, I still encounter the bug. Is there some
> build magic that you've applied to the binary release?

I made the 3.9-9 binary tarball for Brian's convenience.  You
shouldn't rely on any files stamped X.Y-Z being consistent with each
other (or even containing a working VM) until the unix web page says
the latest version is at least X.Y-Z.  (It currently says 3.9-8, I
think, so don't rely on anything called 3.9-9 begin sane.)

The sources didn't work for you because I hadn't rebuilt and uploaded
the source tarball to make it consistent with Brian's files.  For your
convenience I just did that, so the sources should now work if you
want to download and try them again.

I'll send a note to the list when the current release move from -8 to -9.

Regards,
Ian

Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

Colin Putney

On Oct 13, 2006, at 1:29 PM, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Hi Colin,
>
>> I downloaded this VM and it works fine. However, if I build the
>> tarball at the url below, I still encounter the bug. Is there some
>> build magic that you've applied to the binary release?
>
> I made the 3.9-9 binary tarball for Brian's convenience.  You
> shouldn't rely on any files stamped X.Y-Z being consistent with each
> other (or even containing a working VM) until the unix web page says
> the latest version is at least X.Y-Z.  (It currently says 3.9-8, I
> think, so don't rely on anything called 3.9-9 begin sane.)
>
> The sources didn't work for you because I hadn't rebuilt and uploaded
> the source tarball to make it consistent with Brian's files.  For your
> convenience I just did that, so the sources should now work if you
> want to download and try them again.

Ah, ok. Many thanks.

Colin

SqueakMap Package Loader is broken

Benoit St-Jean
Has anyone tried to use the SqueakMap Package Loader
with the image "Squeak3.9-RC2-7063.image"  ?

I get a MessageNotUnderstood as soon as I open it!

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Re: SqueakMap Package Loader is broken

stephane ducasse-2
It breaks on me too (I'm reallllllllllly fed up).
It worked when I applied the cs. May the carriage return in the cs
are the problems I will check since I have nothing else to do......

Now do the following and it will show up...

        SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates; upgradeOldPackages; purge.

Except that the colors are still messed up.....
And I will not try to change them.

Stef

On 14 oct. 06, at 01:13, Benoit St-Jean wrote:

> Has anyone tried to use the SqueakMap Package Loader
> with the image "Squeak3.9-RC2-7063.image"  ?
>
> I get a MessageNotUnderstood as soon as I open it!
>

> -----------------
> Benoit St-Jean
> Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
> A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
> (Albert Einstein)

Re: SqueakMap Package Loader is broken

stephane ducasse-2
Apparently this was the problem of wrong end line in the cs.
So I will recreate an image... may be looking at the #$%^&*( pane
color problem....

Stef

On 14 oct. 06, at 08:56, stephane ducasse wrote:

> It breaks on me too (I'm reallllllllllly fed up).
> It worked when I applied the cs. May the carriage return in the cs
> are the problems I will check since I have nothing else to do......
>
> Now do the following and it will show up...
>
> SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates; upgradeOldPackages; purge.
>
> Except that the colors are still messed up.....
> And I will not try to change them.
>
> Stef
>
> On 14 oct. 06, at 01:13, Benoit St-Jean wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried to use the SqueakMap Package Loader
>> with the image "Squeak3.9-RC2-7063.image"  ?
>>
>> I get a MessageNotUnderstood as soon as I open it!
>>

>> -----------------
>> Benoit St-Jean
>> Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
>> A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
>> (Albert Einstein)

Re: SqueakMap Package Loader is broken

stephane ducasse-2
I uploaded a new image that you can check. Normally it works now.
I did not look at the color pane problem.

Stef

On 14 oct. 06, at 09:06, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Apparently this was the problem of wrong end line in the cs.
> So I will recreate an image... may be looking at the #$%^&*( pane
> color problem....
>
> Stef
>

> On 14 oct. 06, at 08:56, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> It breaks on me too (I'm reallllllllllly fed up).
>> It worked when I applied the cs. May the carriage return in the cs
>> are the problems I will check since I have nothing else to do......
>>
>> Now do the following and it will show up...
>>
>> SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates; upgradeOldPackages; purge.
>>
>> Except that the colors are still messed up.....
>> And I will not try to change them.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On 14 oct. 06, at 01:13, Benoit St-Jean wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone tried to use the SqueakMap Package Loader
>>> with the image "Squeak3.9-RC2-7063.image"  ?
>>>
>>> I get a MessageNotUnderstood as soon as I open it!
>>>

>>> -----------------
>>> Benoit St-Jean
>>> Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
>>> A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
>>> (Albert Einstein)

Re: SqueakMap Package Loader is broken

stephane ducasse-2
I fixed the broken MC repository too.

> I uploaded a new image that you can check. Normally it works now.
> I did not look at the color pane problem.
>
> Stef
>
> On 14 oct. 06, at 09:06, stephane ducasse wrote:
>
>> Apparently this was the problem of wrong end line in the cs.
>> So I will recreate an image... may be looking at the #$%^&*( pane
>> color problem....
>>
>> Stef

Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

Damien Pollet
On 10/13/06, Brian Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone seen this behavior before, or have any ideas?

Yes (posted on the VM list), and the new VM fixed that. Thanks all!

--
 Damien Pollet
 type less, do more

Re: SqueakMap Package Loader is broken

Damien Cassou-3
stephane ducasse a écrit :
> I fixed the broken MC repository too.
>
>> I uploaded a new image that you can check. Normally it works now.
>> I did not look at the color pane problem.

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou

SMLoader color fix Re: SqueakMap Package Loader is broken

karl-8
Damien Cassou skrev:
> stephane ducasse a écrit :
>> I fixed the broken MC repository too.
>>
>>> I uploaded a new image that you can check. Normally it works now.
>>> I did not look at the color pane problem.
>

> Thank you

Here is a color fix for the SMLoader I did a while ago.
Karl

SMLoader.kfr.2.cs.gz (928 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: SqueakMap Package Loader is broken

Benoit St-Jean
Thanks a lot Stéphane!

--- stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>

-----------------
(Albert Einstein)

Re: SqueakMap Package Loader is broken

stephane ducasse-2
You are welcome...
I just want to do something else.....

  with a chainsaw cutting stuff out of squeak :)

>> It breaks on me too (I'm reallllllllllly fed up).
>> It worked when I applied the cs. May the carriage
>> return in the cs
>> are the problems I will check since I have nothing
>> else to do......
>>
>> Now do the following and it will show up...
>>
>> SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates;
>> upgradeOldPackages; purge.
>

> -----------------
> Benoit St-Jean
> Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
> A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
> (Albert Einstein)

Re: Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

Lukas Renggli
> Or, if you prefer it clickable:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-9.app.tar.gz

I've been waiting for this. Thanks a lot for your work. It works
nicely, however there is a small problem with the window colors when
resizing the window, see
<http://lukas-renggli.ch/dropbox/squeak-window-resize.jpeg>.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

Damien Pollet
On 10/15/06, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Or, if you prefer it clickable:
> >
> > http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-9.app.tar.gz
>
> I've been waiting for this. Thanks a lot for your work. It works
> nicely, however there is a small problem with the window colors when
> resizing the window, see
> <http://lukas-renggli.ch/dropbox/squeak-window-resize.jpeg>.

I've not experienced this, but I had a few very slow screen refreshes
(window gradient progresses from top to bottom in 2-3s, then all
widgets get drawn)
--
 Damien Pollet
 type less, do more

Re: Unix VM and MacIntel

johnmci
Ah *slower* you mean

I tried to download the source and compile via the don't read the
instructions methodology and it fails to file the <gl.h> header
Fixed that by editing in full path because I'm not reading the
instructions.
Then ran from command line

Using my old trusty squeak 2.8 test image, tiny benchmarks gives

'91233071 bytecodes/sec; 3869109 sends/sec'
'92352092 bytecodes/sec; 3852004 sends/sec'
'93841642 bytecodes/sec; 3872548 sends/sec'
'93498904 bytecodes/sec; 3831677 sends/sec'
'92753623 bytecodes/sec; 3838429 sends/sec'
'94256259 bytecodes/sec; 3869109 sends/sec'
'93635698 bytecodes/sec; 3889836 sends/sec'
'93567251 bytecodes/sec; 3875993 sends/sec'
'93772893 bytecodes/sec; 3879445 sends/sec'
'93910491 bytecodes/sec; 3889836 sends/sec'

however
mac carbon  3.8.13b3u on pb 17 osx 10.4.8  gives

'106934001 bytecodes/sec; 4686938 sends/sec'
'108016877 bytecodes/sec; 4746905 sends/sec'
'108936170 bytecodes/sec; 4762942 sends/sec'
'109777015 bytecodes/sec; 4766162 sends/sec'
'109495295 bytecodes/sec; 4762942 sends/sec'
'109777015 bytecodes/sec; 4756514 sends/sec'
'109871244 bytecodes/sec; 4652907 sends/sec'
'109401709 bytecodes/sec; 4782330 sends/sec'
'109215017 bytecodes/sec; 4737335 sends/sec'
'109308283 bytecodes/sec; 4775850 sends/sec'

On testing on macIntel the downloaded application, and the build
application both would not open the squeak window
when given a 2.8 image or a 3.8.latest image.  Squeak CPU usage would
run at 100%, not userful. No message to the system log or console.

  www.squeakvm.org unix page only shows 3.9-8

So if someone has a *working* 3.9-9 macintel VM perhaps they could
email with a URL or email me, not the list the application.

Lastly the VM application 3.9-9 posted is macintel only, not powerpc.

On 13-Oct-06, at 12:09 PM, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Brian,
>
>> On Oct 13, 2006, at 9:19 AM, Brian Brown wrote:
>>> I downloaded the Squeak-3.9-8.i386-apple-darwin8.8.1 VM
>>> However, when I run squeak, the icon shows up on the Dock, but
>>> that is the last indication you get.
>
> There was a problem in the mutual exclusion code (specific to i386)
> in the Quartz display driver that didn't show up while I was
> testing it.  It froze waiting to obtain a lock.  Try this one instead:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-9.i386-apple-
> darwin8.8.1.tar.gz
>
> Or, if you prefer it clickable:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-3.9-9.app.tar.gz
>
> (Either of these should run a lot faster than anything in which
> "explicit references to registers" have been removed.)
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>