Unix VMs

Bert Freudenberg

For Etoys-To-Go (http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+To+Go)
I'd like to package a few more VMs. In particular the ones
downloadable from http://squeakvm.org/unix/ - but I need to detect the
system we're running on. Currently I'm using:

echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`

which on this box gives "Linux-i686". Could someone report what they
get on BSD, Solaris, etc?

- Bert -

Re: Unix VMs

Andrew Gaylard

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Bert Freudenberg<[hidden email]> wrote:

> For Etoys-To-Go (http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+To+Go) I'd like
> to package a few more VMs. In particular the ones downloadable from
> http://squeakvm.org/unix/ - but I need to detect the system we're running
> on. Currently I'm using:
>
> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>
> which on this box gives "Linux-i686". Could someone report what they get on
> BSD, Solaris, etc?

Sure:

echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`

- Andrew

Re: Unix VMs

Andrew Gaylard

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Andrew Gaylard<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Bert Freudenberg<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> For Etoys-To-Go (http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+To+Go) I'd like
>> to package a few more VMs. In particular the ones downloadable from
>> http://squeakvm.org/unix/ - but I need to detect the system we're running
>> on. Currently I'm using:
>>
>> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>>
>> which on this box gives "Linux-i686". Could someone report what they get on
>> BSD, Solaris, etc?
>
> Sure:
>
> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>
> - Andrew

Oh duh!  Copy-n-paste error.  Sorry:

SunOS-sun4u

- Andrew

Re: Unix VMs

Bert Freudenberg

On 10.08.2009, at 10:49, Andrew Gaylard wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Bert Freudenberg<[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>>
>> For Etoys-To-Go (http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+To+Go)
>> I'd like
>> to package a few more VMs. In particular the ones downloadable from
>> http://squeakvm.org/unix/ - but I need to detect the system we're
>> running
>> on. Currently I'm using:
>>
>> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>>
>> which on this box gives "Linux-i686". Could someone report what
>> they get on
>> BSD, Solaris, etc?
>
> Sure:
>
> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>
> - Andrew

I was more interested in the output of said command ;)

- Bert -

Re: Unix VMs

Bert Freudenberg

On 10.08.2009, at 10:50, Andrew Gaylard wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Andrew Gaylard<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Bert Freudenberg<[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>>
>>> For Etoys-To-Go (http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+To
>>> +Go) I'd like
>>> to package a few more VMs. In particular the ones downloadable from
>>> http://squeakvm.org/unix/ - but I need to detect the system we're
>>> running
>>> on. Currently I'm using:
>>>
>>> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>>>
>>> which on this box gives "Linux-i686". Could someone report what
>>> they get on
>>> BSD, Solaris, etc?
>>
>> Sure:
>>
>> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>>
>> - Andrew
>>

> Oh duh!  Copy-n-paste error.  Sorry:
>
> SunOS-sun4u

Ah, better :) That would require a Sparc Solaris VM, right? Which is
not on squeakvm.org yet.

Do people think the uname -s / -m combo is enough or do I have to use
config.guess? Or any other idea?

- Bert -

Re: Unix VMs

Douglas Brebner

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> For Etoys-To-Go (http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+To+Go)
> I'd like to package a few more VMs. In particular the ones
> downloadable from http://squeakvm.org/unix/ - but I need to detect the
> system we're running on. Currently I'm using:
>
> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>
> which on this box gives "Linux-i686". Could someone report what they
> get on BSD, Solaris, etc?

echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
NetBSD-i386

For NetBSD-5.0.1/i386

Re: Unix VMs

Andreas Wacknitz

Bert Freudenberg schrieb:

> For Etoys-To-Go (http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+To+Go) I'd
> like to package a few more VMs. In particular the ones downloadable from
> http://squeakvm.org/unix/ - but I need to detect the system we're
> running on. Currently I'm using:
>
> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>
> which on this box gives "Linux-i686". Could someone report what they get
> on BSD, Solaris, etc?
>
> - Bert -

SunOS-sun4u  (Solaris 10 auf UltraSPARC-IIIi)
SunOS-i86pc  (Solaris 10 in einer virtuellen Maschine auf einem iMac)

Andreas

Re: Unix VMs

Andrew Gaylard

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Bert Freudenberg<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Andrew Gaylard<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Oh duh!  Copy-n-paste error.  Sorry:
>>
>> SunOS-sun4u
>
> Ah, better :) That would require a Sparc Solaris VM, right? Which is not on
> squeakvm.org yet.

Correct on both counts.  Though apparently moves are afoot to build
and upload a VM; I think Andreas Wacknitz is busy with it.  Andreas?

> Do people think the uname -s / -m combo is enough or do I have to use
> config.guess? Or any other idea?

Judging from this thread, uname -s / -m has been fine so far.

- Andrew

Re: Unix VMs

Andreas Wacknitz

Am 10.08.2009 um 20:19 schrieb Andrew Gaylard:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Bert Freudenberg<[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Andrew Gaylard<[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>> Oh duh!  Copy-n-paste error.  Sorry:
>>>
>>> SunOS-sun4u
>>
>> Ah, better :) That would require a Sparc Solaris VM, right? Which
>> is not on
>> squeakvm.org yet.
>
> Correct on both counts.  Though apparently moves are afoot to build
> and upload a VM; I think Andreas Wacknitz is busy with it.  Andreas?
I have created a Solaris 10 package for SqueakVM-3.10-5.
That one does not contain the closure changes.
My tries to create a Solaris SqueakVM-3.10-6 weren't successful yet.
The resulting VM creates only a black window.
My spare time is limited at the moment so I will not be able to invest
much time
in debugging.

Andreas

Re: Unix VMs

Brian Brown-2

On Aug 10, 2009, at 2:23 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> For Etoys-To-Go (http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/Etoys+To+Go)
> I'd like to package a few more VMs. In particular the ones
> downloadable from http://squeakvm.org/unix/ - but I need to detect
> the system we're running on. Currently I'm using:
>
> echo `uname -s`-`uname -m`
>
> which on this box gives "Linux-i686". Could someone report what they
> get on BSD, Solaris, etc?
>
> - Bert -

FreeBSD-i386 (FreeBSD 6.3)
OpenBSD-i386 (OpenBSD 4.4)