Unreadable code in the repository (VAST 9.0)

Unreadable code in the repository (VAST 9.0)

Hermann Ottens
Hi group,

we are currently working with VA Smalltalk 8.5.2 und are evaluating 9.0.
Now i stumbled across the problem that VAST 9.0 writes things into the repository that can't be correctly read by VAST 8.5.2.
I can recreate the problem from the beginning:
- Start a new 9.0 image with a new repository (copy of mgr90.dat).
- Bind to the repository
- Import everything from mgr852.dat into the new repository (config map browser -> Names -> Import -> All versions)
- Create a new application with a new class FooBar with a method called test and the following body

test

(System osType includes: $W) ifTrue: ['1'] ifFalse: ['2']

- version/release the class and save the image
- Start a new 8.5.2 image
- Bind to the aforementioned repository
- Load the application containing FooBar and look at FooBar>>test
- To me it's shown as

test

(X osType ?$W)    ['1']  ['2']

(I left out some unprintable characters.)
- Save the image and exit
- Start the 9.0 image again and re-check FooBar>>test, everything looks OK.

The method FooBar>>test can be executed correctly in both 9.0 and 8.5.2.
But it cannot be debugged in 8.5.2, only in 9.0.

The opposite way works:
so if i create another new method test2 in 8.5.2 with the body above, then it can be read correctly by both 8.5.2 and 9.0.

Has anybody encountered this problem and could enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,
Hermann

Re: Unreadable code in the repository (VAST 9.0)

Seth Berman
Hello Hermann,

The long explanation is here in the migration guide:
http://www.instantiations.com/docs/90/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=mi/migr8612.html

The short explanation is:
- Compressor/Decompressor algorithm changed in 8.6.2
- >= 8.6.2 can read older source
- Older source can not properly read >= 8.6.2 source
- Solution: Take the library prims from 9.0 and overwrite the ones in 8.5.2

For example, copy the files
C:\Program Files (x86)\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\9.0x86\emntv50.dll     (file I/O prims)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\9.0x86\emsrv50.dll     (server prims)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\8.5.2\bin

Restart 8.5.2 image and it should be able to read newer source code

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:38:24 AM UTC-4, Hermann Ottens wrote:
[...]

Wayne Johnston
I think this earlier discussion covers it.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/Oi_CtoHEUZ4

Re: Unreadable code in the repository (VAST 9.0)

Hermann Ottens
Hello Seth, hello Wayne,

Thanks to both of you (my, that was a quick reply).
(I think i'll have to read the documentation more carefully before i make another posting.)

Cheers,
Hermann