Update 10458 fails with MNU

Martin McClure-2
Downloaded 09.09.3, install fresh, launch, System->update.

Runs for a while, then fails while loading 10458. Failure is MNU.

In [] in ScriptLoader>>loadTogether:merge: the code

   [:fn | loader addVersion: (self loadVersionFromFileNamed: fn)]

Is failing, #loadVersionFromFileNamed: is answering nil when fn is
'Gofer-lr.48.mcz'.

And, indeed my package-cache does not contain 'Gofer-lr.48.mcz', but it
does have Gofer-lr.51.mcz.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: Update 10458 fails with MNU

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks martin my mistake.
indeed this is normally Gofer is not part of Pharo. But was used to  I
will copy the package for now in pharo.
We should really discuss if we want to have installer or gofer in the
core.

Stef

> Downloaded 09.09.3, install fresh, launch, System->update.
>
> Runs for a while, then fails while loading 10458. Failure is MNU.
>
> In [] in ScriptLoader>>loadTogether:merge: the code
>
>   [:fn | loader addVersion: (self loadVersionFromFileNamed: fn)]
>
> Is failing, #loadVersionFromFileNamed: is answering nil when fn is
> 'Gofer-lr.48.mcz'.
>

> And, indeed my package-cache does not contain 'Gofer-lr.48.mcz', but
> it
> does have Gofer-lr.51.mcz.
>

> Regards,
>
> -Martin

Re: Update 10458 fails with MNU

I published 48 in pharo but this is strange because we have the
repository to gofer
and I do not understand why this package is not found.

On Sep 29, 2009, at 1:46 AM, Martin McClure wrote:

> Downloaded 09.09.3, install fresh, launch, System->update.
>
> Runs for a while, then fails while loading 10458. Failure is MNU.
>
> In [] in ScriptLoader>>loadTogether:merge: the code
>
>   [:fn | loader addVersion: (self loadVersionFromFileNamed: fn)]
>
> Is failing, #loadVersionFromFileNamed: is answering nil when fn is
> 'Gofer-lr.48.mcz'.
>

> And, indeed my package-cache does not contain 'Gofer-lr.48.mcz', but
> it
> does have Gofer-lr.51.mcz.
>

> Regards,
>
> -Martin

Re: Update 10458 fails with MNU

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We should really discuss if we want to have installer or gofer in the
> core.

Installer allows to write installation scripts whereas Gofer allows to
load MC packages. Gofer can be seen as a possible backend for
Installer.

You should not think in term of which one to choose because their
roles are completely different.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
> We should really discuss if we want to have installer or gofer in the
> core.

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Update 10458 fails with MNU

Brian Brown-6

On Sep 29, 2009, at 2:21 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We should really discuss if we want to have installer or gofer in the
>> core.
>
> Installer allows to write installation scripts whereas Gofer allows to
> load MC packages. Gofer can be seen as a possible backend for
> Installer.
>
> You should not think in term of which one to choose because their
> roles are completely different.

I agree completely. I think we should have installer in the core, as
it's stated goals and functionality seem to be exactly what we need
for our modularized system. Gofer could and should be a backend for
it, and if the consensus is include installer in the core, then I will
write the adapter for gofer.

- Brian

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> I published 48 in pharo but this is strange because we have the
> repository to gofer
> and I do not understand why this package is not found.

Thanks, the update now succeeds. Both Gofer-lr.48.mcz and
Gofer-lr.51.mcz end up in the package-cache.

Regards,

-Martin