Update question

NorbertHartl
Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?

thanks,

Norbert

Re: Update question

Peter Uhnak
I didn't even know there was an update option.
Instead I download fresh images (regularly) through Pharo Launcher, plus I have startup script that looks at the name of the image and does extra stuff — e.g. if the image name contains MyProjectX, it automatically adds repositories for it and loads it).

Peter

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?

thanks,

Norbert

Re: Update question

kilon.alios
I tried it a few times, and had nothing but problems with it. We have discussed here several times and from what I have learned there several technical limitation.

I am using pharolauncher non stop and wonder why Pharolauncher is not integrated inside Pharo yet. I have added my code inside the configuration browser (Ephestos, Nireas) and Installing my code back in a fresh image is just a two click process.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?

thanks,

Norbert

Re: Update question

Thierry Goubier

Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?

I don't update. I want to make sure my developments are buildable somewhere else (for a team member, for versionning, for moving work from one computer to another), so I make sure I have a script for a fresh image (and I regularly rebuild (i.e. commit, push, make clean, make).

My scripts are Makefiles, and the Makefiles are in the version control system.

Thierry

thanks,

Norbert

Re: Update question

SergeStinckwich
Don't update use PharoLauncher instead ! I use PharoLauncher everyday for my work and I download new images every 2-3 days.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 mars 2015, at 11:13, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert

Re: Update question

NorbertHartl
What would be better using PharoLauncher?

Norbert

> Am 24.03.2015 um 12:30 schrieb Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>:
>
> Don't update use PharoLauncher instead ! I use PharoLauncher everyday for my work and I download new images every 2-3 days.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 24 mars 2015, at 11:13, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norbert

Re: Update question

SergeStinckwich
PharoLauncher manage all your images and dl new images directly from the CI server. PharoLauncher is written in Pharo and can be adapted to your own needs ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 mars 2015, at 12:38, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What would be better using PharoLauncher?
>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 24.03.2015 um 12:30 schrieb Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Don't update use PharoLauncher instead ! I use PharoLauncher everyday for my work and I download new images every 2-3 days.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 24 mars 2015, at 11:13, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norbert

Re: Update question

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
NorbertHartl wrote
What would be better using PharoLauncher?
I was a hold out, but I've finally started using it and it's really nice. For things that don't have an automated build process, it's much better than downloading from file.pharo.org by hand. You can set the folder to which the images get saved, and choose to make new images from e.g. Pharo 4, 3, 2, moose, anything on the contribution CI server, and a few others.

I really like Peter's idea to act from a startup script based on the image name. That sounds like a powerful combination.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Update question

Torsten Bergmann
@Norbert:
  I also use PharoLauncher, this way I can download clean 3.0/4.0 or prepackaged (Moose, Boostrap) images at own will,
  clone, copy as I like and with a fresh image it is easy to see if code is loading cleanly, ...

  I have to give up nothing. I can still profit from image development as I can save my image as usual and
  continue with it later.

@Kilon:
  Integrating PharoLauncher in the standard image would not make sense. Then I use PharoLauncher to download
  an image with a prepackaged PharoLauncher, ...

  If you mean that it should be the default tool to download when getting Pharo 4.0 or Pharo 3.0 from the
  download page or from zeroconf then I would agree. Maybe some more help is needed for Pharo newbees then.

  But I would vote for it as I would download/install Pharo one time on a machine and then choose - download - start
  the image that I like.

Gesendet: Dienstag, 24. März 2015 um 11:25 Uhr
Von: "kilon alios" <[hidden email]>
An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: [Pharo-dev] Update question

I tried it a few times, and had nothing but problems with it. We have discussed here several times and from what I have learned there several technical limitation.
 I am using pharolauncher non stop and wonder why Pharolauncher is not integrated inside Pharo yet. I have added my code inside the configuration browser (Ephestos, Nireas) and Installing my code back in a fresh image is just a two click process.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?

thanks,

Norbert

Re: Update question

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
kilon.alios wrote
I tried it a few times, and had nothing but problems with it. We have
discussed here several times and from what I have learned there several
technical limitation.
I initially had a bad experience as well. I probably didn't give it a fair trial, but also IIRC at that time the image folder was not configurable. Anyway, I had a much different experience with the latest version. I keep it in "Development Mode" (available in the settings) so I have full access to the IDE.

Cheers,
Sean

Re: Update question

NorbertHartl

> Am 24.03.2015 um 12:41 schrieb Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>:
>
> PharoLauncher manage all your images and dl new images directly from the CI server. PharoLauncher is written in Pharo and can be adapted to your own needs ;-)

So there is nothing to gain. My use cases are completely different. I don't want my images to be managen in one place. I have a lot of projects that have their own project folder where they live with other resources and they are organized in a directory structure that makes sense.
My point was preventing the installation of my stuff in a new image everytime. One project is a lot of stuff to load and adjust and for that I'd like to just update the image. So to me it appears PharoLauncher is just able to make my situation worse :)

Norbert

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 24 mars 2015, at 12:38, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What would be better using PharoLauncher?
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 24.03.2015 um 12:30 schrieb Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Don't update use PharoLauncher instead ! I use PharoLauncher everyday for my work and I download new images every 2-3 days.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Update question

Ben Coman

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 9:19 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
kilon.alios wrote
> I tried it a few times, and had nothing but problems with it. We have
> discussed here several times and from what I have learned there several
> technical limitation.

I don't think Kilon was referring to PhaoLauncher, but to "World > System > Software update"
cheers -ben

I initially had a bad experience as well. I probably didn't give it a fair
trial, but also IIRC at that time the image folder was not configurable.
Anyway, I had a much different experience with the latest version. I keep it
in "Development Mode" (available in the settings) so I have full access to
the IDE.

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4814762/Screenshot_2015-03-24_09.png>

Re: Update question

NorbertHartl

> Am 24.03.2015 um 13:02 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>
> NorbertHartl wrote
>> What would be better using PharoLauncher?
>
> I was a hold out, but I've finally started using it and it's really nice.
> For things that don't have an automated build process, it's much better than
> downloading from file.pharo.org by hand. You can set the folder to which the
> images get saved, and choose to make new images from e.g. Pharo 4, 3, 2,
> moose, anything on the contribution CI server, and a few others.
>
> I really like Peter's idea to act from a startup script based on the image
> name. That sounds like a powerful combination.

Oh, I didn't know that you can choose the folder where the images live. I might take another peek at it. But then I'm using something like that for a very long time.

- make a folder projects in you home directory
- in that folder create symlink to any of your smalltalk project directory that you are working at the moment
- drop that folder in the dock
- you click the icon on the dock, a list of projects pops up, you select one and you get the contents of that the directory. You click on an image and it starts

So I'm not sure I'll gain something but I will try again.

Norbert

Re: Update question

kilon.alios
"@Kilon:
  Integrating PharoLauncher in the standard image would not make sense. Then I use PharoLauncher to download
  an image with a prepackaged PharoLauncher, ...

  If you mean that it should be the default tool to download when getting Pharo 4.0 or Pharo 3.0 from the
  download page or from zeroconf then I would agree. Maybe some more help is needed for Pharo newbees then."

Actually it makes perfect sense, think about it. We have configuration browser. Now go to your pharolauncher and enable development mode, open world menu and bingo pharolauncher is there as a tool and i think thats great already. So you have 2 tools in your image 1) Configuration Browser that allows you to install pharo libraries / apps 2) PharoLauncher that allows you to download images . Both accessed in world menu and this functionality is already provided by PharoLauncher.

"
I don't think Kilon was referring to PhaoLauncher, but to "World > System > Software update"
cheers -ben"

Yeap correct Ben I was referring to Software Update, as a matter of fact I loved PharoLauncher so much I became a contributor and added documentation about it in the new PBE.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 24.03.2015 um 13:02 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:
>
> NorbertHartl wrote
>> What would be better using PharoLauncher?
>
> I was a hold out, but I've finally started using it and it's really nice.
> For things that don't have an automated build process, it's much better than
> downloading from file.pharo.org by hand. You can set the folder to which the
> images get saved, and choose to make new images from e.g. Pharo 4, 3, 2,
> moose, anything on the contribution CI server, and a few others.
>
> I really like Peter's idea to act from a startup script based on the image
> name. That sounds like a powerful combination.

Oh, I didn't know that you can choose the folder where the images live. I might take another peek at it. But then I'm using something like that for a very long time.

- make a folder projects in you home directory
- in that folder create symlink to any of your smalltalk project directory that you are working at the moment
- drop that folder in the dock
- you click the icon on the dock, a list of projects pops up, you select one and you get the contents of that the directory. You click on an image and it starts

So I'm not sure I'll gain something but I will try again.

Norbert

Re: Update question

Marcus Denker-4

> On 24 Mar 2015, at 11:13, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?

We should add an issue to the issue tracker… I really wonder how this happens.

        Marcus

Re: Update question

NorbertHartl

Am 24.03.2015 um 18:45 schrieb Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>:

On 24 Mar 2015, at 11:13, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Today I wanted (again) to update my image and it can't find GT packages. So I'm interested how the community deals with that. Do you take fresh downloaded images regularly? Or you do not update? Is it just me?

We should add an issue to the issue tracker… I really wonder how this happens.

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/default.asp?15231

Norbert

Re: Update question

Damien Cassou

In my opinion, the most important thing for you to do is to setup a continuous integration server. Then you can download ready made, up to date,  and tested images every morning. You can download these images either with or without the launcher.

If you want to try the launcher, you could symlink the launcher's managed images from each of your project directories.

On Mar 24, 2015 3:37 PM, "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 24.03.2015 um 12:41 schrieb Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>:
>
> PharoLauncher manage all your images and dl new images directly from the CI server. PharoLauncher is written in Pharo and can be adapted to your own needs ;-)

So there is nothing to gain. My use cases are completely different. I don't want my images to be managen in one place. I have a lot of projects that have their own project folder where they live with other resources and they are organized in a directory structure that makes sense.
My point was preventing the installation of my stuff in a new image everytime. One project is a lot of stuff to load and adjust and for that I'd like to just update the image. So to me it appears PharoLauncher is just able to make my situation worse :)

Norbert

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 24 mars 2015, at 12:38, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What would be better using PharoLauncher?
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 24.03.2015 um 12:30 schrieb Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Don't update use PharoLauncher instead ! I use PharoLauncher everyday for my work and I download new images every 2-3 days.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Update question

NorbertHartl

Am 25.03.2015 um 19:45 schrieb Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>:

In my opinion, the most important thing for you to do is to setup a continuous integration server. Then you can download ready made, up to date,  and tested images every morning. You can download these images either with or without the launcher.

Thanks for the input. I'll may try that for other projects. I have a CI server for all of my projects. I need to load a lot of projects into one image in order to maintain changes among them. And I have adjustments to do for every image that are not done on the CI. You might argue that I could make configurations and scripts for all of these. Yes I could but I didn't. The next point is that I develop with pharo4 but the product needs to run on pharo3. So yes I could also build it for pharo3 and pharo4. I also have some workspaces with code snippets I need frequently. This I could script as well. Maybe I'll do all of this. At the moment I just want to update to have an actual pharo and test it and may give feedback. As it is not possible and the change of an image is a burden to me I just do not update. That's all.

If you want to try the launcher, you could symlink the launcher's managed images from each of your project directories.

That wouldn't work. I save my image often under a different image name because I tend to break the image or it crashes. With the changes log not working the only feasible way is to make a lot of copies of your images. So symlinking is not working that way.

thanks anyway,

Norbert

On Mar 24, 2015 3:37 PM, "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 24.03.2015 um 12:41 schrieb Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>:
>
> PharoLauncher manage all your images and dl new images directly from the CI server. PharoLauncher is written in Pharo and can be adapted to your own needs ;-)

So there is nothing to gain. My use cases are completely different. I don't want my images to be managen in one place. I have a lot of projects that have their own project folder where they live with other resources and they are organized in a directory structure that makes sense.
My point was preventing the installation of my stuff in a new image everytime. One project is a lot of stuff to load and adjust and for that I'd like to just update the image. So to me it appears PharoLauncher is just able to make my situation worse :)

Norbert

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 24 mars 2015, at 12:38, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What would be better using PharoLauncher?
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 24.03.2015 um 12:30 schrieb Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Don't update use PharoLauncher instead ! I use PharoLauncher everyday for my work and I download new images every 2-3 days.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Update question

Ben Coman

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 3:01 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

That wouldn't work. I save my image often under a different image name because I tend to break the image or it crashes. With the changes log not working the only feasible way is to make a lot of copies of your images.

I frequently use <Copy> image in PharoLauncher.  I like that it autogenerates a new name.  However its done outside the image so may not fit your workflow.  Maybe dealing with images saved from within the image is an enhancement PharoLauncher could consider.

cheers -ben

Re: Update question

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 25/03/15 20:01, Norbert Hartl wrote:
> That wouldn't work. I save my image often under a different image name
> because I tend to break the image or it crashes. With the changes log
> not working the only feasible way is to make a lot of copies of your
> images. So symlinking is not working that way.

Saving an image under a different name could be recognized by
PharoLauncher, and integrated in the image list. That would then become
an extra level in the tree. Assuming the simple case of saving in the
same directory.

Stephan