Update to new release

pintman
Hi everybody!

Today I got the newsletter about the new release 7.9.1 of VW.

Is it possible to update to the new minor version without having to
download the huge and complete package?

Best,
Marco.

Re: Update to new release

Runar Jordahl
I am pretty sure downloading all is the only way to get minor updates. Even if it is a "minor" update, many files can change. One example is the VM, where a change  means the various source files for the VM also changes.

Kind regards,
Runar Jordahl

Re: Update to new release

pintman
2013/1/4 Runar Jordahl <[hidden email]>:
> I am pretty sure downloading all is the only way to get minor updates.

Thanks for the fast answer.

> Even
> if it is a "minor" update, many files can change. One example is the VM,
> where a change  means the various source files for the VM also changes.

I think changing the VM is fundamental and would be crucial. Such a
change wouldn't hopefully be in a minor update. Wouldn't that mean
that older images might no longer run in the VM?

Best,
Marco.

Re: Update to new release

Runar Jordahl
As far as I know, the VMs are backward compatible. So the new, updated 7.9.1 VM should be able to run older images.

Any change in VisualWorks can bee seen as "fundamental". Minor releases can change anything, including the VM. I think that is OK.

I guess you have to think of minor releases as changes that can modify any part of the system (including the VM), but which do not add / change APIs and do not add / remove functionality.

Runar

Re: Update to new release

Nowak, Helge
New releases may carry bug fixes and new functionality. A point-point release (such as 7.9.1) is meant to carry mostly bug fixes and no backwards compatibility breaking code.
In general any newer vm of a major version shall be able to run older images, i. e. the 7.9.1 vm can run any 7.x image.

HTH
Helge

2013/1/4 Runar Jordahl <[hidden email]>:
> I am pretty sure downloading all is the only way to get minor updates.

Thanks for the fast answer.

> Even
> if it is a "minor" update, many files can change. One example is the
> VM, where a change  means the various source files for the VM also changes.

I think changing the VM is fundamental and would be crucial. Such a change wouldn't hopefully be in a minor update. Wouldn't that mean that older images might no longer run in the VM?

Best,
Marco.

Re: Update to new release

pintman
Thanks for clarification Runar and Helge! :)

Best,
Marco.