Update your ambers: 0.14.4, imports, jQuery deprecation

Update your ambers: 0.14.4, imports, jQuery deprecation

Herby Vojčík
Hi!

Update you amber pieces:

Globally:
npm -g install amber-cli

Per project:
bower install
npm update

In 0.14.4, finally import feature works in compiler as well, not just in
the core. In Helios, you can see this line in any package template:

   imports: {}

The '{}' is just a plain dynamic array. Here you specify, which external
modules your package depends upon. Let's say you need snap.svg and
bootstrap and they are known via names 'snag.svg' and 'bootstrap' in
*.amd.json files. You put there

   imports: {'snapSvg' -> 'snap.svg'. 'bootstrap'}

You then must commit the package _and reload to take effect_.

When you put just strings in imports (like 'bootstrap'), the module is
just loaded as a package dependency. If you put association there (like
'snapSvg' -> 'snap.svg'), you also define a variable where to import the
dependency. In that case, any method within a package can freely use
variable 'snapSvg' which will contain anything what 'snap.svg' module
exports. If you use that variable outside the package, you get a compile
error, of course - the variable is only known within a package.

That said - jQuery was listed among the 'allowed to compile everywhere'
exceptions along with window, document, process and global. It is now
deprecated (already deleted in master) and will be removed in 0.14.5 or
0.15.0, whichever comes first. Web is the only package that uses jQuery.
Try to reuse its #asJQuery to wrap objects and 'PlatformInterface ajax:'
to call ajax API. If you absolutely need it, just do what Web package did:

   imports: {'jQuery' -> 'jquery'}

Herby

Re: Update your ambers: 0.14.4, imports, jQuery deprecation

Herby Vojčík
Apologies for those who tried to updated for no avail - I forgot to push
the release tag. Now all is there as should be. Read below.

Herby Vojčík wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Update you amber pieces:
>
> Globally:
> npm -g install amber-cli
>
> Per project:
> bower install
> npm update
>

> In 0.14.4, finally import feature works in compiler as well, not just in
> the core. In Helios, you can see this line in any package template:
>
> imports: {}
>
> The '{}' is just a plain dynamic array. Here you specify, which external
> modules your package depends upon. Let's say you need snap.svg and
> bootstrap and they are known via names 'snag.svg' and 'bootstrap' in
> *.amd.json files. You put there
>
> imports: {'snapSvg' -> 'snap.svg'. 'bootstrap'}
>
> You then must commit the package _and reload to take effect_.
>
> When you put just strings in imports (like 'bootstrap'), the module is
> just loaded as a package dependency. If you put association there (like
> 'snapSvg' -> 'snap.svg'), you also define a variable where to import the
> dependency. In that case, any method within a package can freely use
> variable 'snapSvg' which will contain anything what 'snap.svg' module
> exports. If you use that variable outside the package, you get a compile
> error, of course - the variable is only known within a package.
>
> That said - jQuery was listed among the 'allowed to compile everywhere'
> exceptions along with window, document, process and global. It is now
> deprecated (already deleted in master) and will be removed in 0.14.5 or
> 0.15.0, whichever comes first. Web is the only package that uses jQuery.
> Try to reuse its #asJQuery to wrap objects and 'PlatformInterface ajax:'
> to call ajax API. If you absolutely need it, just do what Web package did:
>
> imports: {'jQuery' -> 'jquery'}
>
> Herby

Re: Update your ambers: 0.14.4, imports, jQuery deprecation

Hannes Hirzel
Update was fine, I did this test

https://github.com/hhzl/Amber-snapsvg-demo/issues/5

On 2/2/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies for those who tried to updated for no avail - I forgot to push
> the release tag. Now all is there as should be. Read below.
>
> Herby Vojčík wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Update you amber pieces:
>>
>> Globally:
>> npm -g install amber-cli
>>
>> Per project:
>> bower install
>> npm update
>>

>> In 0.14.4, finally import feature works in compiler as well, not just in
>> the core. In Helios, you can see this line in any package template:
>>
>> imports: {}
>>
>> The '{}' is just a plain dynamic array. Here you specify, which external
>> modules your package depends upon. Let's say you need snap.svg and
>> bootstrap and they are known via names 'snag.svg' and 'bootstrap' in
>> *.amd.json files. You put there
>>
>> imports: {'snapSvg' -> 'snap.svg'. 'bootstrap'}
>>
>> You then must commit the package _and reload to take effect_.
>>
>> When you put just strings in imports (like 'bootstrap'), the module is
>> just loaded as a package dependency. If you put association there (like
>> 'snapSvg' -> 'snap.svg'), you also define a variable where to import the
>> dependency. In that case, any method within a package can freely use
>> variable 'snapSvg' which will contain anything what 'snap.svg' module
>> exports. If you use that variable outside the package, you get a compile
>> error, of course - the variable is only known within a package.
>>
>> That said - jQuery was listed among the 'allowed to compile everywhere'
>> exceptions along with window, document, process and global. It is now
>> deprecated (already deleted in master) and will be removed in 0.14.5 or
>> 0.15.0, whichever comes first. Web is the only package that uses jQuery.
>> Try to reuse its #asJQuery to wrap objects and 'PlatformInterface ajax:'
>> to call ajax API. If you absolutely need it, just do what Web package
>> did:
>>
>> imports: {'jQuery' -> 'jquery'}
>>
>> Herby

Re: Update your ambers: 0.14.4, imports, jQuery deprecation

Hannes Hirzel
Success report was a bit too quick. Updating is more difficult than
starting from scratch with 0.14.4.

On 2/2/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update was fine, I did this test
>
> https://github.com/hhzl/Amber-snapsvg-demo/issues/5
>

> On 2/2/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Apologies for those who tried to updated for no avail - I forgot to push
>> the release tag. Now all is there as should be. Read below.
>>
>> Herby Vojčík wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Update you amber pieces:
>>>
>>> Globally:
>>> npm -g install amber-cli
>>>
>>> Per project:
>>> bower install
>>> npm update
>>>

>>> In 0.14.4, finally import feature works in compiler as well, not just in
>>> the core. In Helios, you can see this line in any package template:
>>>
>>> imports: {}
>>>
>>> The '{}' is just a plain dynamic array. Here you specify, which external
>>> modules your package depends upon. Let's say you need snap.svg and
>>> bootstrap and they are known via names 'snag.svg' and 'bootstrap' in
>>> *.amd.json files. You put there
>>>
>>> imports: {'snapSvg' -> 'snap.svg'. 'bootstrap'}
>>>
>>> You then must commit the package _and reload to take effect_.
>>>
>>> When you put just strings in imports (like 'bootstrap'), the module is
>>> just loaded as a package dependency. If you put association there (like
>>> 'snapSvg' -> 'snap.svg'), you also define a variable where to import the
>>> dependency. In that case, any method within a package can freely use
>>> variable 'snapSvg' which will contain anything what 'snap.svg' module
>>> exports. If you use that variable outside the package, you get a compile
>>> error, of course - the variable is only known within a package.
>>>
>>> That said - jQuery was listed among the 'allowed to compile everywhere'
>>> exceptions along with window, document, process and global. It is now
>>> deprecated (already deleted in master) and will be removed in 0.14.5 or
>>> 0.15.0, whichever comes first. Web is the only package that uses jQuery.
>>> Try to reuse its #asJQuery to wrap objects and 'PlatformInterface ajax:'
>>> to call ajax API. If you absolutely need it, just do what Web package
>>> did:
>>>
>>> imports: {'jQuery' -> 'jquery'}
>>>
>>> Herby

Re: Update your ambers: 0.14.4, imports, jQuery deprecation

Hannes Hirzel
I did

    bower install amber --save
    bower install helios --save

which gives me in bower.json

 "private": false,
  "dependencies": {
    "amber": "~0.14.4",
    "snap.svg": "~0.3.0"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "amber-ide-starter-dialog": "^0.1.0",
    "amber-attic": "^0.1.0",
    "helios": "^0.3.0"
  }

For example I would expect helios to be     "helios": "^0.3.4"

What am I missing?

H. Hirzel wrote:

> I did
>
>      bower install amber --save
>      bower install helios --save
>
> which gives me in bower.json
>
>   "private": false,
>    "dependencies": {
>      "amber": "~0.14.4",
>      "snap.svg": "~0.3.0"
>    },
>    "devDependencies": {
>      "amber-ide-starter-dialog": "^0.1.0",
>      "amber-attic": "^0.1.0",
>      "helios": "^0.3.0"
>    }
>

> For example I would expect helios to be     "helios": "^0.3.4"
>
> What am I missing?

Oh, I begin to be tired of this.
I just had the similar talk with sebastian.

Normally, you do not need to update bower.json entries at all. So no --save.

So, people who just want to update amber in the project, use the instructions in the OP, it will get you the newest version safely.

==== Advanced part follows ====

I presume you want to update bower.json to actually empasize this is 0.14.4 example, so helios needed is also at least 0.3.4. If this is the case, I would recommend learn one of these strategies:

 A) Implicit one: Update foo / bar so it is restricted at current version or higher:

    bower install "foo#*" "bar#*" --save

  B) Explicit one: Update foo / bar so its semver predicate is changed to ...:

    bower install "foo#..." "bar#..." --save

  C) Explicit shortcut: Just update the numbers in bower.json, but retain the growlixes. This is what I would do in things like examples. Classical update works, but then I strenghten the number (only the numbers) manually.

Re: Update your ambers: 0.14.4, imports, jQuery deprecation

sebastianconcept
Yes I was editing bower.json for every little change but only major versions needs it

my amber versions look like ^0.14.3

(not ~0.14.3)

The last part of the version is ignored by bower when installs a dependency with ^

Allows changes that do not modify the left-most non-zero digit in the [major, minor, patch] tuple. In other words, this allows patch and minor updates for versions 1.0.0 and above, patch updates for versions 0.X >=0.1.0, and no updates for versions 0.0.X.

Many authors treat a 0.x version as if the x were the major "breaking-change" indicator.

On Feb 2, 2015, at 12:04 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

I did

   bower install amber --save
   bower install helios --save

which gives me in bower.json

"private": false,
 "dependencies": {
   "amber": "~0.14.4",
   "snap.svg": "~0.3.0"
 },

Herby Vojčík wrote:
[...]

~ is same as ^ for 0.x.y; npm already uses the (IMO saner) ^, bower still stick to older ~ when doing --save. ~ are different with x.y.z, where ^ means x.whatever.whatever but ~ still fixes first two numbers so it means x.y.whatever.

Hopefully until we get to 1.x.y, bower will also migrate to use ^ as well.

sebastian wrote:

> Yes I was editing bower.json for every little change but only major
> versions needs it
>
> my amber versions look like ^0.14.3
>
> (not ~0.14.3)
>
> The last part of the version is ignored by bower when installs a
> dependency with ^
>
> Taken from: https://github.com/npm/node-semver#caret-ranges-123-025-004
>
> Allows changes that do not modify the left-most non-zero digit in the
> |[major, minor, patch]| tuple. In other words, this allows patch and
> minor updates for versions |1.0.0| and above, patch updates for
> versions |0.X >=0.1.0|, and /no/ updates for versions |0.0.X|.
>
> Many authors treat a |0.x| version as if the |x| were the major

> "breaking-change" indicator.
>

>> On Feb 2, 2015, at 12:04 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> I did
>>
>> bower install amber --save
>> bower install helios --save
>>
>> which gives me in bower.json
>>
>> "private": false,
>> "dependencies": {
>> "amber": "~0.14.4",
>> "snap.svg": "~0.3.0"
>> },
>> "devDependencies": {
>> "amber-ide-starter-dialog": "^0.1.0",
>> "amber-attic": "^0.1.0",
>> "helios": "^0.3.0"
>> }
>>

>> For example I would expect helios to be "helios": "^0.3.4"
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>

>> On 2/2/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>> Success report was a bit too quick. Updating is more difficult than
>>> starting from scratch with 0.14.4.

y.

>> --

> You received this me
ssage because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "amber-lang" group.

Re: Update your ambers: 0.14.4, imports, jQuery deprecation

sebastianconcept
yep +1

sebastian wrote:
Yes I was editing bower.json for every little change but only major versions needs it

my amber versions look like ^0.14.3

(not ~0.14.3)

The last part of the version is ignored by bower when installs a dependency with ^

Taken from: https://github.com/npm/node-semver#caret-ranges-123-025-004

Allows changes that do not modify the left-most non-zero digit in the |[major, minor, patch]| tuple. In other words, this allows patch and minor updates for versions |1.0.0| and above, patch updates for versions |0.X >=0.1.0|, and /no/ updates for versions |0.0.X|.

Many authors treat a |0.x| version as if the |x| were the major

"breaking-change" indicator.

On Feb 2, 2015, at 12:04 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]<[hidden email]>> wrote:

I did

bower install amber --save
bower install helios --save

which gives me in bower.json