Update your ambers

Herby Vojčík
... and helioses, there is Amber 0.14.3 out with imports and Helios is
bumped to 0.3.4.

BTW, someone could make official announcement for 0.14. Though, maybe it
is already late, 20 days after? Don't know.

Herby

Re: Update your ambers

Hannes Hirzel
Which are the properties of an official announcement?

On 1/20/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... and helioses, there is Amber 0.14.3 out with imports and Helios is
> bumped to 0.3.4.
>
> BTW, someone could make official announcement for 0.14. Though, maybe it
> is already late, 20 days after? Don't know.
>
> Herby

Re: Update your ambers

Herby Vojčík

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Which are the properties of an official announcement?

Well, they look like official announcement, and are sent to multiple channels at once, and try to have the same form between versions.

I am not a person with announcement/PR setting myself (plus I am not at all those MLs), so I am not doing it, Nicolas did them before, Sebastian is more PR-like, but apparently has busy schedule, so it was just, not sent, somehow, for 0.14. :-\

Re: Update your ambers

philippeback
Moronic question: how am I to update my amber ?

npm update amber-cli ?
npm update amber ?

How do I upgrade a project to use the latest amber?

amber init

is writing "^0.14.2" in the json files.

?

Phil

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:03 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
... and helioses, there is Amber 0.14.3 out with imports and Helios is bumped to 0.3.4.

BTW, someone could make official announcement for 0.14. Though, maybe it is already late, 20 days after? Don't know.

Herby

Re: Update your ambers

philippeback
I can do that.

What are the resources to announce to?
We should have access to @ambersmalltalk in Twitter for doing that no?

Phil

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:23 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

H. Hirzel wrote:
Which are the properties of an official announcement?

Well, they look like official announcement, and are sent to multiple channels at once, and try to have the same form between versions.

I am not a person with announcement/PR setting myself (plus I am not at all those MLs), so I am not doing it, Nicolas did them before, Sebastian is more PR-like, but apparently has busy schedule, so it was just, not sent, somehow, for 0.14. :-\

---
Philippe Back
Visible Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

Re: Update your ambers

Herby Vojčík

[hidden email] wrote:
> Moronic question: how am I to update my amber ?

What do you mean by "update my amber"? You know, there is no Amber.
There is amber-cli, global thing, and there is
amber-the-project-dependency, which is in every project. Which one of it
do you want to upgrade?

Ah, I presume you mean the cli, as you have the next question.

npm -g install amber-cli

(I don't use npm update, it never worked for me).

> How do I upgrade a project to use the latest amber?

bower install

> amber init
>
> is writing "^0.14.2" in the json files.

 From node-semver docs, section caret ranges:

^1.2.3 := >=1.2.3 <2.0.0
^0.2.3 := >=0.2.3 <0.3.0
^0.0.3 := >=0.0.3 <0.0.4

> Phil

Herby

Re: Update your ambers

sebastianconcept
Great Phil! Heby is right, I’m really not the best these days to take care of that

I don’t know about the facebook or G+ but I can give you in private the twitter credenials Phil

and we all should help to review the announcement text.

I’ve made a card for it:

H. Hirzel wrote:
[...]

And people want to know which version they are using on the Amber web site

Should be 0.14.1, currently 0.13.3

See also http://docs.amber-lang.net/faq.html

On 1/21/15, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great Phil! Heby is right, I’m really not the best these days to take care
> of that
>
> I don’t know about the facebook or G+ but I can give you in private the
> twitter credenials Phil
>
> and we all should help to review the announcement text.
>
> I’ve made a card for it:
>
> https://trello.com/c/P3NdDYcV/56-announce-in-social-media-0-14-3
> <https://trello.com/c/P3NdDYcV/56-announce-in-social-media-0-14-3>
>

>> On Jan 20, 2015, at 7:55 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I can do that.
>>
>> What are the resources to announce to?
>> We should have access to @ambersmalltalk in Twitter for doing that no?
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:23 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>

>> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Which are the properties of an official announcement?
>>
>> Well, they look like official announcement, and are sent to multiple
>> channels at once, and try to have the same form between versions.
>>
>> I am not a person with announcement/PR setting myself (plus I am not at
>> all those MLs), so I am not doing it, Nicolas did them before, Sebastian
>> is more PR-like, but apparently has busy schedule, so it was just, not
>> sent, somehow, for 0.14. :-\
>>
>> --
>>

>> --
>> ---
>> Philippe Back
>> Visible Performance Improvements
>> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
>> Mail:[hidden email] <mailto:Mail%[hidden email]> | Web:
>> http://philippeback.eu <http://philippeback.eu/>
>> Blog: http://philippeback.be <http://philippeback.be/> | Twitter:
>> @philippeback
>> Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/philippeback/videos
>> <http://www.youtube.com/user/philippeback/videos>
>>
>> High Octane SPRL
>> rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium
>>
>> Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
>> <http://consortium.pharo.org/>
>> Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast -
>> http://spamcast.libsyn.com <http://spamcast.libsyn.com/>
>> Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value
>> Added Reseller

Amber version on web site 2015-01-21 04:25:18.png (211K) Download Attachment

Re: Update your ambers

sebastianconcept
Also please everybody say:

npm amber-dev -g version

:D

('cos it fixes a compiler minor issue)

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 6:03:42 PM UTC-2, Herby wrote:
... and helioses, there is Amber 0.14.3 out with imports and Helios is
bumped to 0.3.4.

BTW, someone could make official announcement for 0.14. Though, maybe it
is already late, 20 days after? Don't know.

Herby

Re: Update your ambers

sebastianconcept
Hah wrong command sorry.

This is the one to update the compiler:

npm update amber-dev -g

o/

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:12:42 PM UTC-2, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
Also please everybody say:

npm amber-dev -g version

:D

('cos it fixes a compiler minor issue)

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 6:03:42 PM UTC-2, Herby wrote:
... and helioses, there is Amber 0.14.3 out with imports and Helios is
bumped to 0.3.4.

BTW, someone could make official announcement for 0.14. Though, maybe it
is already late, 20 days after? Don't know.

Herby

Re: Update your ambers

Herby Vojčík
 No, that's wrong.
amber-dev is not global.
It's a dependency in every amber project (includeing the cli).

So you update it with `npm update amber-dev` in the project itself, and how to update this specificall in amber-cli I don't know, but I always use `npm install -g amber-cli` which just reinstall everything in newest version, including the amber-dev dependency.

Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Hah wrong command sorry.
>
> This is the one to update the compiler:
>
> npm update amber-dev -g
>

> o/
>

> On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:12:42 PM UTC-2, Sebastian Sastre
> wrote:
>
>     Also please everybody say:
>
>     npm amber-dev -g version
>
>     :D
>
>     ('cos it fixes a compiler minor issue)
>

>     On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 6:03:42 PM UTC-2, Herby wrote:
>
>         ... and helioses, there is Amber 0.14.3 out with imports and
>         Helios is
>         bumped to 0.3.4.
>
>         BTW, someone could make official announcement for 0.14.
>         Tho
ugh, maybe it

>         is already late, 20 days after? Don't know.
>
>         Herby

Re: Update your ambers

sebastianconcept
Right. Thanks for the correction Herby.

So

-  `npm install -g amber-cli`  will get it fixed for all new projects and

-  `npm update amber-dev` in every project dir will fix it for current projects

Sebastian Sastre wrote:
Hah wrong command sorry.

This is the one to update the compiler:

npm update amber-dev -g

o/

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:12:42 PM UTC-2, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

   Also please everybody say:

   npm amber-dev -g version

   :D

   ('cos it fixes a compiler minor issue)

   On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 6:03:42 PM UTC-2, Herby wrote:

       ... and helioses, there is Amber 0.14.3 out with imports and
       Helios is
       bumped to 0.3.4.

       BTW, someone could make official announcement for 0.14.
       Tho
ugh, maybe it
       is already late, 20 days after? Don't know.

       Herby

Re: Update your ambers

Hannes Hirzel
I sent this piece of information to http://docs.amber-lang.net/faq.html

Alongside the question: How do I install the latest Amber version?

On 1/21/15, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right. Thanks for the correction Herby.
>
> So
>
> -  `npm install -g amber-cli`  will get it fixed for all new projects and
>
> -  `npm update amber-dev` in every project dir will fix it for current
> projects
>

>> On Jan 21, 2015, at 12:39 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No, that's wrong.
>> amber-dev is not global.
>> It's a dependency in every amber project (includeing the cli).
>>
>> So you update it with `npm update amber-dev` in the project itself, and
>> how to update this specificall in amber-cli I don't know, but I always use
>> `npm install -g amber-cli` which just reinstall everything in newest
>> version, including the amber-dev dependency.
>>
>> Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>>> Hah wrong command sorry.
>>>
>>> This is the one to update the compiler:
>>>
>>> npm update amber-dev -g
>>>

>>> o/
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:12:42 PM UTC-2, Sebastian Sastre
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Also please everybody say:
>>>
>>>    npm amber-dev -g version
>>>
>>>    :D
>>>
>>>    ('cos it fixes a compiler minor issue)
>>>

>>>    On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 6:03:42 PM UTC-2, Herby wrote:
>>>
>>>        ... and helioses, there is Amber 0.14.3 out with imports and
>>>        Helios is
>>>        bumped to 0.3.4.
>>>
>>>        BTW, someone could make official announcement for 0.14.
>>>        Tho
>> ugh, maybe it
>>>        is already late, 20 days after? Don't know.
>>>
>>>        Herby
>>>
>>> --

Re: Update your ambers

Hannes Hirzel
Updating Amber to 0.14.3 as for the Amber web site
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website/issues/24

would then mean

- fork repository https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website

git clone https://github.com/hhzl/amber-website
cd amber-website
git checkout -b gh-24
npm update amber-dev
bower install
git add -A
git commit -m "update to 0.14.3"
git push origin gh-24

Is this all that is needed?

--Hannes

Note: I made the gh-branch of
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website/ default as suggested
by Bert Freudenberg

On 1/21/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I sent this piece of information to http://docs.amber-lang.net/faq.html
>
> Alongside the question: How do I install the latest Amber version?
>
> On 1/21/15, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Right. Thanks for the correction Herby.
>>
>> So
>>
>> -  `npm install -g amber-cli`  will get it fixed for all new projects and
>>
>> -  `npm update amber-dev` in every project dir will fix it for current
>> projects
>>

>>> On Jan 21, 2015, at 12:39 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, that's wrong.
>>> amber-dev is not global.
>>> It's a dependency in every amber project (includeing the cli).
>>>
>>> So you update it with `npm update amber-dev` in the project itself, and
>>> how to update this specificall in amber-cli I don't know, but I always
>>> use
>>> `npm install -g amber-cli` which just reinstall everything in newest
>>> version, including the amber-dev dependency.

>>> ugh, maybe it

>>> --

Re: Update your ambers

Herby Vojčík
Note that:

1. As a member of maintainers team, you can clone directly the amber-smalltalk/website and make branches there (though, maybe you do tork to check how it looks via gh-pages in fork).

2. You do not need npm at all in website repo (I assume you have it there if you want to ,_update_ it). In website, only bower is needed.

3. OTOH, you would need to run `grunt devel` to update infrastructure files, for that you need full npm (via npm install), but only at your development machine.

"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

>Updating Amber to 0.14.3 as for the Amber web site
>https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website/issues/24
>

>would then mean
>
>- fork repository https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website
>
>git clone https://github.com/hhzl/amber-website
>cd amber-website
>git checkout -b gh-24
>npm update amber-dev
>bower install
>git add -A
>git commit -m "update to 0.14.3"
>git push origin gh-24
>
>Is this all that is needed?
>
>--Hannes
>

>Note: I made the gh-branch of
>https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website/ default as suggested
>by Bert Freudenberg
>

>On 1/21/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I sent this piece of information to http://docs.amber-lang.net/faq.html
>>
>> Alongside the question: How do I install the latest Amber version?
>>
>> On 1/21/15, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Right. Thanks for the correction Herby.
>>>
>>> So
>>>
>>> -  `npm install -g amber-cli`  will get it fixed for all new projects and
>>>
>>> -  `npm update amber-dev` in every project dir will fix it for current
>>> projects

>>> --

Re: Update your ambers

Hannes Hirzel
Herby,

Regarding your note 1:

Reason not to do so is
a) that others might do the same thing as an exercise and help to find
errors (see below)
b) That I can check the result at What I did at
http://hhzl.github.io/amber-website

Regarding note 2:

Yes, I do not need npm, I only need bower. The list below shows the
commands used.

````
git clone https://github.com/hhzl/amber-website
cd amber-website/
bower install amber
git status
git add -A
git commit -m "updated to 0.14.3"
git push origin gh-pages
history
````

Result is http://hhzl.github.io/amber-website

The log of the command

        bower install amber

````
hhzl@hhzl-Latitude-E6410 ~/Documents/amber-website $ git branch
* gh-pages
hhzl@hhzl-Latitude-E6410 ~/Documents/amber-website $ bower install amber
bower amber#*                   cached
git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#0.14.3
bower amber#*                 validate 0.14.3 against
git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#*
bower amber#>=0.13.2            cached
git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#0.14.3
bower amber#>=0.13.2          validate 0.14.3 against
git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#>=0.13.2

Unable to find a suitable version for amber, please choose one:
    1) amber#^0.13.3 which resolved to 0.13.3 and is required by
trysmalltalk#0.0.2, trysmalltalkdemo
    2) amber#>=0.13.2 which resolved to 0.14.3 and is required by helios#0.3.1
    3) amber#~0.14.3 which resolved to 0.14.3Prefix the choice with !
to persist it to bower.json

? Answer:: !3
````

RESULT
=======

http://hhzl.github.io/amber-website
shows version number 0.14.3

Clicking the 'Try Smalltalk' button brings up the error message
   TypeError: require(...).globals.Browser is undefined amber-website:1

(see screen shot)

--Hannes

On 1/22/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note that:
>
> 1. As a member of maintainers team, you can clone directly the
> amber-smalltalk/website and make branches there (though, maybe you do tork
> to check how it looks via gh-pages in fork).
>
> 2. You do not need npm at all in website repo (I assume you have it there if
> you want to ,_update_ it). In website, only bower is needed.
>
> 3. OTOH, you would need to run `grunt devel` to update infrastructure files,
> for that you need full npm (via npm install), but only at your development
> machine.
>

> "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:
>
>>Updating Amber to 0.14.3 as for the Amber web site
>>https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website/issues/24
>>

>>would then mean
>>
>>- fork repository https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website
>>
>>git clone https://github.com/hhzl/amber-website
>>cd amber-website
>>git checkout -b gh-24
>>npm update amber-dev
>>bower install
>>git add -A
>>git commit -m "update to 0.14.3"
>>git push origin gh-24
>>
>>Is this all that is needed?
>>
>>--Hannes
>>

>>Note: I made the gh-branch of
>>https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-website/ default as suggested
>>by Bert Freudenberg
>>

>>On 1/21/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I sent this piece of information to http://docs.amber-lang.net/faq.html
>>>
>>> Alongside the question: How do I install the latest Amber version?

Amber-website_0.14.3_error_Screenshot_2015-01-22 15:07:42.png (133K) Download Attachment

Re: Update your ambers

Hannes Hirzel
P.S.

In addition I did

    grunt devel

to get new versions of

    config.js
    the.js

On 1/22/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> (see screen shot)
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 1/22/15, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Note that:
>>
>> 1. As a member of maintainers team, you can clone directly the
>> amber-smalltalk/website and make branches there (though, maybe you do
>> tork
>> to check how it looks via gh-pages in fork).
>>
>> 2. You do not need npm at all in website repo (I assume you have it there
>> if
>> you want to ,_update_ it). In website, only bower is needed.
>>
>> 3. OTOH, you would need to run `grunt devel` to update infrastructure
>> files,
>> for that you need full npm (via npm install), but only at your
>> development
>> machine.
>>

>> "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:
>>
>>>Updating Amber to 0.14.3 as for the Amber web site

Re: Update your ambers

Herby Vojčík

H. Hirzel wrote:

> Herby,
>
> Regarding your note 1:
>
> Reason not to do so is
> a) that others might do the same thing as an exercise and help to find
> errors (see below)
> b) That I can check the result at What I did at
> http://hhzl.github.io/amber-website
>
> Regarding note 2:
>
> Yes, I do not need npm, I only need bower. The list below shows the
> commands used.
>
> ````
> git clone https://github.com/hhzl/amber-website
> cd amber-website/
> bower install amber

bower install "amber@^0.14.3" --save

You are willfully upgrading, after all.

> [...]
>     TypeError: require(...).globals.Browser is undefined amber-website:1
>
> (see screen shot)
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 1/22/15, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Note that:
>>
>> 1. As a member of maintainers team, you can clone directly the
>> amber-smalltalk/website and make branches there (though, maybe you do tork
>> to check how it looks via gh-pages in fork).
>>
>> 2. You do not need npm at all in website repo (I assume you have it there if
>> you want to ,_update_ it). In website, only bower is needed.
>>
>> 3. OTOH, you would need to run `grunt devel` to update infrastructure files,
>> for that you need full npm (via npm install), but only at your development
>> machine.
>>

>> "H. Hirzel"<[hidden email]>napísal/a:
>>
>>> Updating Amber to 0.14.3 as for the Amber web site

Re: Update your ambers

Herby Vojčík

H. Hirzel wrote:
> P.S.