Updated PBE synchronisation with pharobyexample.org website

Updated PBE synchronisation with pharobyexample.org website

Ben Coman
greetings the list,

The Pharo By Example book currently on the http://pharobyexample.org
was written for Pharo 1.4, which is several years old.   The community
has been working on updating the book for Pharo 4/5 [1] under the
moniker UPBE, and I wonder what its release strategy will be regarding
the http://pharobyexample.org site.

It would be good to update the existing web site to show PBE Second
Edition rather than release UPBE somewhere else leaving the old
edition in a prominent position to confuse people.  So who currently
administers the site and what are our options for updating it?    I
see the domain registrant is Oscar Nierstrasz, so I guess a lot
depends on what options Oscar is happy with.

One option... The Pharo community has focussed on using Pillar for a
lot of documentation (including UPBE) and there is a new static site
generator Ecstatic [2] which might be good to use for the site.
Github allows static web sites to be hosted under custom domains, and
provides the tools for the community to assist site maintenance while
site administrators still can control what is promoted to the
production web site.

Thoughts anyone?

cheers -ben

[1] https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample
[2] https://github.com/guillep/ecstatic

Re: Updated PBE synchronisation with pharobyexample.org website

SergeStinckwich
An Ecstatic site hosted on github would be nice !

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> greetings the list,
>
> The Pharo By Example book currently on the http://pharobyexample.org
> was written for Pharo 1.4, which is several years old.   The community
> has been working on updating the book for Pharo 4/5 [1] under the
> moniker UPBE, and I wonder what its release strategy will be regarding
> the http://pharobyexample.org site.
>
> It would be good to update the existing web site to show PBE Second
> Edition rather than release UPBE somewhere else leaving the old
> edition in a prominent position to confuse people.  So who currently
> administers the site and what are our options for updating it?    I
> see the domain registrant is Oscar Nierstrasz, so I guess a lot
> depends on what options Oscar is happy with.
>
> One option... The Pharo community has focussed on using Pillar for a
> lot of documentation (including UPBE) and there is a new static site
> generator Ecstatic [2] which might be good to use for the site.
> Github allows static web sites to be hosted under custom domains, and
> provides the tools for the community to assist site maintenance while
> site administrators still can control what is promoted to the
> production web site.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> cheers -ben
>
> [1] https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample
> [2] https://github.com/guillep/ecstatic

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Updated PBE synchronisation with pharobyexample.org website

Oscar Nierstrasz-2

Hi Folks,

Actually I would like to retire the pharobyexample.org web site and redirect it to a new location. I agree that this should be on github.

If someone is willing  to take the initiative to set up a new web page, I will provide the redirection for another year. Then we can shut down the old web site.

Cheers,
Oscar

> On 8 Jan 2016, at 18:20, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> An Ecstatic site hosted on github would be nice !
>

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> greetings the list,
>>
>> The Pharo By Example book currently on the http://pharobyexample.org
>> was written for Pharo 1.4, which is several years old.   The community
>> has been working on updating the book for Pharo 4/5 [1] under the
>> moniker UPBE, and I wonder what its release strategy will be regarding
>> the http://pharobyexample.org site.
>>
>> It would be good to update the existing web site to show PBE Second
>> Edition rather than release UPBE somewhere else leaving the old
>> edition in a prominent position to confuse people.  So who currently
>> administers the site and what are our options for updating it?    I
>> see the domain registrant is Oscar Nierstrasz, so I guess a lot
>> depends on what options Oscar is happy with.
>>
>> One option... The Pharo community has focussed on using Pillar for a
>> lot of documentation (including UPBE) and there is a new static site
>> generator Ecstatic [2] which might be good to use for the site.
>> Github allows static web sites to be hosted under custom domains, and
>> provides the tools for the community to assist site maintenance while
>> site administrators still can control what is promoted to the
>> production web site.
>>
>> Thoughts anyone?
>>
>> cheers -ben
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample
>> [2] https://github.com/guillep/ecstatic

> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Updated PBE synchronisation with pharobyexample.org website

stephane ducasse
Hi oscar

We plan to have all the books in the same place and we will do it.
Now we cannot move now because we have a filming week for the mooc next week.

Stef

On 08 Jan 2016, at 18:40, Oscar Nierstrasz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Actually I would like to retire the pharobyexample.org web site and redirect it to a new location. I agree that this should be on github.
>
> If someone is willing  to take the initiative to set up a new web page, I will provide the redirection for another year. Then we can shut down the old web site.
>
> Cheers,
> Oscar
>

>> On 8 Jan 2016, at 18:20, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> An Ecstatic site hosted on github would be nice !
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> greetings the list,
>>>
>>> The Pharo By Example book currently on the http://pharobyexample.org
>>> was written for Pharo 1.4, which is several years old.   The community
>>> has been working on updating the book for Pharo 4/5 [1] under the
>>> moniker UPBE, and I wonder what its release strategy will be regarding
>>> the http://pharobyexample.org site.
>>>
>>> It would be good to update the existing web site to show PBE Second
>>> Edition rather than release UPBE somewhere else leaving the old
>>> edition in a prominent position to confuse people.  So who currently
>>> administers the site and what are our options for updating it?    I
>>> see the domain registrant is Oscar Nierstrasz, so I guess a lot
>>> depends on what options Oscar is happy with.
>>>
>>> One option... The Pharo community has focussed on using Pillar for a
>>> lot of documentation (including UPBE) and there is a new static site
>>> generator Ecstatic [2] which might be good to use for the site.
>>> Github allows static web sites to be hosted under custom domains, and
>>> provides the tools for the community to assist site maintenance while
>>> site administrators still can control what is promoted to the
>>> production web site.
>>>
>>> Thoughts anyone?
>>>
>>> cheers -ben
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/UpdatedPharoByExample
>>> [2] https://github.com/guillep/ecstatic
>>

>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Updated PBE synchronisation with pharobyexample.org website

stephane ducasse
Hi ben

We would like to get all the books under books.pharo.org
Now we need help because we are busy with too many things.
Ideally I would like to get all the pillar-based books also available as html resources.

We will do another pass with Ecstatic but to me we should not wait for it.
We should have a page with all the book thumbnails and a page per book.

Stef