Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

I updated the Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2. As far as I can see, it works fine now.

I don't know the exact procedure to get this into Seaside proper, hence I include the MC package.

It is obviously important to get this in before we release Pharo 6, but it is probably also a good idea that somebody else has a look at what I did.

===
Name: Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-SvenVanCaekenberghe.20
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 24 May 2017, 4:17:49.490067 pm
UUID: b1168881-a70c-0d00-9de6-8d500cd45859
Ancestors: Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-JohanBrichau.19

Updated the Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2 using latest Spec conventions

- Add a refresh button to the main toolbar to sync with changes done outside the UI (add a #refreshAdaptors action and use it for add/remove updating as well)
- Inform the user when remove fails due to a still running adaptor
- Use IconListModel instead of NewListModel
- Fix selection maintenance on the list of adaptors
- Fix the context menu on the list of adaptors
- Use new recommended icon access method
- Added help strings to the buttons in the main toolbar
- Added a proper About text
- Add a window icon
- Remove unused state/action stuff from the toolbar implementation
===

Sven

PS: The 'Spec UI Framework' book was helpful as was Nicolai's help on the ML - Thank you.

Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-SvenVanCaekenberghe.20.mcz (23K) Download Attachment

Re: [Pharo-dev] Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Sven,

I uploaded the MCZ to the Seaside repo htto://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Seaside32/main
and tested it. Looks fine and all is working for me.

The only thing I'm not sure about is that Philippe (PMM) in Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-pmm.21
made a distinction to either use NewListModel or FastTableModel.
The issue was also noted in https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/issues/869

I guess this not necessary anymore as Pharo 6 has FastTableModel only.

Additionally:
============
I extended your version so that "Browse" opens a real webbrowser when two conditions are
met:  - the Pharo image includes the WebBrowser package (which one can load from catalog)
      - teh adaptor is running

In any other case it has the same behavior as before by just inspecting the adaptor.

This extension can be found in "Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-TorstenBergmann.28" in the
same repository.

Thanks
Torsten

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 24. Mai 2017 um 16:27 Uhr
> Von: "Sven Van Caekenberghe" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Pharo Development List" <[hidden email]>, "Seaside - developer list" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: [Pharo-dev] Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2
>
> Hi,
>
> I updated the Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2. As far as I can see, it works fine now.
>
> I don't know the exact procedure to get this into Seaside proper, hence I include the MC package.
>
> It is obviously important to get this in before we release Pharo 6, but it is probably also a good idea that somebody else has a look at what I did.
>
> ===
> Name: Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-SvenVanCaekenberghe.20
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 24 May 2017, 4:17:49.490067 pm
> UUID: b1168881-a70c-0d00-9de6-8d500cd45859
> Ancestors: Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-JohanBrichau.19
>
> Updated the Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2 using latest Spec conventions
>
> - Add a refresh button to the main toolbar to sync with changes done outside the UI (add a #refreshAdaptors action and use it for add/remove updating as well)
> - Inform the user when remove fails due to a still running adaptor
> - Use IconListModel instead of NewListModel
> - Fix selection maintenance on the list of adaptors
> - Fix the context menu on the list of adaptors
> - Use new recommended icon access method
> - Added help strings to the buttons in the main toolbar
> - Added a proper About text
> - Add a window icon
> - Remove unused state/action stuff from the toolbar implementation
> ===
>
> Sven
>

> PS: The 'Spec UI Framework' book was helpful as was Nicolai's help on the ML - Thank you.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Thx Torsten.

Is that enough to get it included in the main development line, what else has to happen ?

> [...]
>>
>> - Add a refresh button to the main toolbar to sync with changes done outside the UI (add a #refreshAdaptors action and use it for add/remove updating as well)
>> - Inform the user when remove fails due to a still running adaptor
>> - Use IconListModel instead of NewListModel
>> - Fix selection maintenance on the list of adaptors
>> - Fix the context menu on the list of adaptors
>> - Use new recommended icon access method
>> - Added help strings to the buttons in the main toolbar
>> - Added a proper About text
>> - Add a window icon
>> - Remove unused state/action stuff from the toolbar implementation
>> ===
>>
>> Sven
>>

>> PS: The 'Spec UI Framework' book was helpful as was Nicolai's help on the ML - Thank you.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Sven and Thorsten,

Thanks for this. I’m taking the steps necessary to integrate everything now:
- copy to github
- adapt the configuration for 3.2.x

In the future, making pull requests against the github repo will be the easiest and advised way.

I’ll ping back here later today..

johan

> [...]
>>> - Use IconListModel instead of NewListModel
>>> - Fix selection maintenance on the list of adaptors
>>> - Fix the context menu on the list of adaptors
>>> - Use new recommended icon access method
>>> - Added help strings to the buttons in the main toolbar
>>> - Added a proper About text
>>> - Add a window icon
>>> - Remove unused state/action stuff from the toolbar implementation
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Sven
>>>

>>> PS: The 'Spec UI Framework' book was helpful as was Nicolai's help on the ML - Thank you.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 25 May 2017, at 09:48, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Sven and Thorsten,
>
> Thanks for this. I’m taking the steps necessary to integrate everything now:

OK, thanks, Johan.

> In the future, making pull requests against the github repo will be the easiest and advised way.

I want to try (in the future), but the way I have Seaside in my images, it is loaded from StHub, so I have no GitHub repos.

Is there a place/document that describes the procedure of how to do it the recommended way ? And a description of how the releases are structured ?

> I’ll ping back here later today..
>
> johan
>
>> On 25 May 2017, at 00:38, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thx Torsten.
>>
>> Is that enough to get it included in the main development line, what else has to happen ?
>>
>>> On 24 May 2017, at 22:34, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sven,
>>>
>>> I uploaded the MCZ to the Seaside repo htto://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Seaside32/main
>>> and tested it. Looks fine and all is working for me.
>>>
>>> The only thing I'm not sure about is that Philippe (PMM) in Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-pmm.21
>>> made a distinction to either use NewListModel or FastTableModel.
>>> The issue was also noted in https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/issues/869
>>>
>>> I guess this not necessary anymore as Pharo 6 has FastTableModel only.
>>>
>>> Additionally:
>>> ============
>>> I extended your version so that "Browse" opens a real webbrowser when two conditions are
>>> met:  - the Pharo image includes the WebBrowser package (which one can load from catalog)
>>>    - teh adaptor is running
>>>
>>> In any other case it has the same behavior as before by just inspecting the adaptor.
>>>
>>> This extension can be found in "Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-TorstenBergmann.28" in the
>>> same repository.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Torsten

Re: [Pharo-dev] Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Johan Brichau-2

I want to try (in the future), but the way I have Seaside in my images, it is loaded from StHub, so I have no GitHub repos.

Is there a place/document that describes the procedure of how to do it the recommended way ? And a description of how the releases are structured ?

Since Pharo 6 has Iceberg now, I think it’s a good time to make the real switch.

Last year, Philippe made all changes to the develop branch at the ESUG sprint.

I dropped the ball on Seaside last year and did not produce any updated configuration or anything.
Trying to pick it up right now and hoping others will follow the model ;)

Johan

Re: Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 24/05/17 16:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> I updated the Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2. As far as I can see, it works fine now.

Did you find the original fix that is already in the repo?

Stephan

Re: Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 25 May 2017, at 11:43, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 24/05/17 16:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> I updated the Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2. As far as I can see, it works fine now.
>
> Did you find the original fix that is already in the repo?

No, I did not. I am sorry. And I did not see those of Philippe either. What a mess ;-)

> Stephan

Re: Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Johan Brichau-2
This is why I want to move to github and use pull requests.

Several changes work on Pharo6, but not 5. This is fine, but this also means we also need to adapt configs etc.
So… I try to push next version of Seaside, which needs dev version of Grease…
However, Grease dev does not work on Pharo6 … and some changes need to be ported to all dialects first...

… and I’m already half a day later again :(

Do not understand me wrong: these contributions are great and it’s exactly what we need (which is why I’m working on this today) !!
However, things get complicated when the end result is a version mess :(

So, I should be out of the woods soon.

Johan

On 25 May 2017, at 13:04, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25 May 2017, at 11:43, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24/05/17 16:27, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
I updated the Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2. As far as I can see, it works fine now.

Did you find the original fix that is already in the repo?

No, I did not. I am sorry. And I did not see those of Philippe either. What a mess ;-)

Stephan

Re: [Pharo-dev] Updated Seaside Control Panel for Pharo 6 / Seaside 3.2

Philippe Marschall
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> I uploaded the MCZ to the Seaside repo htto://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Seaside32/main
> and tested it. Looks fine and all is working for me.
>
> The only thing I'm not sure about is that Philippe (PMM) in Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec-pmm.21
> made a distinction to either use NewListModel or FastTableModel.
> The issue was also noted in https://github.com/SeasideSt/Seaside/issues/869
>
> I guess this not necessary anymore as Pharo 6 has FastTableModel only.

That was made to support multiple Pharo versions from the same code
base. Otherwise we would have to split Seaside-Pharo-Tools-Spec in a
Pharo 5 (I believe) and a Pharo 6 version. It would be cool if we
could support Pharo 5 for a moment as Pharo 6 hasn't been released
yet. I don't know how quickly Pharo users upgrade.

Cheers
Philippe