Updated goodies

Ian Bartholomew-20
As it's a Friday and I might be a bit busy for the next week (family
wedding) I though I might as well make my current goodies available.

I've uploaded a zip file (210 KiB) to

http://www.idb.me.uk/files/goodiesx6a.zip

It contains the following 26 package files...

IDB Chunk Browser - ChunkBrowser
IDB Common - Common classes needed by all the goodies
IDB CurrencyToText - A TypeConverter that knows (a bit) about money.
IDB DateAndTime - An implementation of the ANSI class
IDB DeviceIndependentBitmap - Another type of bitmap used by my
        ILImageLibrary
IDB Duration - An implementation of the ANSI class
IDB FileBrowser - Browse files and their contents
IDB IDE Class Print Extension - A temporary way of printing out entire
        classes
IDB IDE ClassBrowser Extensions - IDE extensions to the ClassBrowsers
IDB IDE Extensions - Common framework for my IDE extensions
IDB IDE Method Filer Extension - Adds a menu option for filing out
        individual methods
IDB IDE Method History Extension - Browse previous versions of a method
IDB IDE Package Backup - Makes a backup copy of a package file every time it
        is going to be overwritten by a new version
IDB IDE Printer - Adds printing to various Dolphin browsers (and can be
        added to others)
IDB Image Library - Maintain and create bitmap/icon/cursors
IDB MultipleFileOpenDialog - What it says
IDB News Archive Browser - Browse all the previous posting to the newsgroups
        (data files not included)
IDB PoolDictionary Browser - Browse and maintain all defined
        PoolDictionaries
IDB Printer - Print from within Dolphin
IDB Profiler - Profile code to see why it's so slow
IDB Report - Provides a rudimentary way of creating formatted documents
        (RichEdit format, need the following package).
IDB RichEdit - A wrapper around the latest (XP SP2+ only) version of the
        Windows RichEdit control (and a Wordpad-like-tool that uses it).
IDB Selector Parser - A quick way of extracting a selector from a chunk
IDB Serial - Simple (very) wrapper around the COM ports
IDB Snoop - Inspect the internal state of open views
IDB TextDocument - Adds printing support to the Dolphin
        XMLPad/Wordpad/Notepad samples

Download the zip file and extract it into the folder where your Dolphin
image resides, it's probably best to delete any existing goodies files
beforehand.  You will end up with the following structure (NB Note the name
change of the top level folder)

[Your Image]
    [Idb] contains all package file
        [Resources] contains all images
        [Documentation] Ummm, no comment :-)

Just install the packages you want.

NB  To install in X6 beta 1 you will need to remove all my existing goodies
from the image as they will clash with the new ones.  The easiest way is to
copy the following into a workspace and evaluate it ...

PackageManager current packages do: [:each |
(each name beginsWith: 'IDB') ifTrue: [each uninstall ]].

Let me know about the problems when you find them please :-)

Ian

Re: Updated goodies

Blair McGlashan
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> As it's a Friday and I might be a bit busy for the next week (family
> wedding) I though I might as well make my current goodies available.

Ian, I'm not sure what your plans were for the undefined selector check IDE
extension, but just to let you know that the base system will provide
similar functionality in the next beta. This is built off the back of the
'allSelectors' collection maintained by SmalltalkSystem that is in any case
needed for autocompletion. It integrates with the normal compiler
error/warning reports so you get the squiggly underlines, hover text, etc. I
didn't get around to using it for this purpose for beta 1, but have just
added that enhancement now.

Regards

Blair

Re: Updated goodies: problem with News Archive Browser

Shaping-2
Ian,  I unloaded all of the old packages, and loaded all of the new ones.

I tested the News Archive Browser.  Using the default directory for the
archive in User Preferences, I copied the archive files from D5 to D6.  The
NAB came up OK, but when I tried to sort by date, I got a bounds error on a
date string that is too short for the index being used:

22:36:51, Friday, June 17, 2005: 'Index 25 is out of bounds'
String(Object)>>errorSubscriptBounds:
String(Object)>>errorAt:
String>>at:
NewsArchiveArticle>>setSent:
NewsArchiveArticle>>getHeadingFrom:
NewsArchiveArticle>>parse
NewsArchiveArticle>>sent
Message>>forwardTo:
Message>>value:
[] in ListViewColumn>>rowSortBlock
MergesortAlgorithm(SortAlgorithm)>>insertionSort:from:to:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:aux:
MergesortAlgorithm>>sort:from:to:
SortedCollection>>sortFrom:to:
SortedCollection>>reSort
SortedCollection>>addAll:
OrderedCollection(Collection)>>asSortedCollectionUsing:
ListPresenter>>list:
ListPresenter>>beSorted:
[] in ListView>>sortOnColumn:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
Cursor>>showWhile:
ListView>>sortOnColumn:
ListView>>columnClicked:
ListView>>lvnColumnClick:
ListView>>nmNotify:
ContainerView(View)>>wmNotify:wParam:lParam:
ContainerView(View)>>dispatchMessage:wParam:lParam:
[] in InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:
ProcessorScheduler>>callback:evaluate:
InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
ListView(ControlView)>>defaultWindowProcessing:wParam:lParam:
ListView(View)>>dispatchMessage:wParam:lParam:
[] in InputState>>wndProc:message:wParam:lParam:cookie:
BlockClosure>>ifCurtailed:

Shaping

> [...]

> Download the zip file and extract it into the folder where your Dolphin
> image resides, it's probably best to delete any existing goodies files
> beforehand.  You will end up with the following structure (NB Note the
> name
> change of the top level folder)
>
> [Your Image]
>    [Idb] contains all package file
>        [Resources] contains all images
>        [Documentation] Ummm, no comment :-)
>
> Just install the packages you want.
>
> NB  To install in X6 beta 1 you will need to remove all my existing
> goodies
> from the image as they will clash with the new ones.  The easiest way is
> copy the following into a workspace and evaluate it ...
>
> PackageManager current packages do: [:each |
> (each name beginsWith: 'IDB') ifTrue: [each uninstall ]].
>
> Let me know about the problems when you find them please :-)

Re: Updated goodies

Ian Bartholomew-20
Blair,

> Ian, I'm not sure what your plans were for the undefined selector check
> IDE extension, but just to let you know that the base system will provide
> similar functionality in the next beta.

I had wondered if the "message sent to self missing" warning might make it a
bit redundant so I didn't initially port the goody to D6.  I have missed the
more general warnings though so I was going to port it, I just never got
round to it.

It's nice to see that it will now be part of the base image.  Thanks for
letting me know.

Ian

Re: Updated goodies: problem with News Archive Browser

Ian Bartholomew-20
Shaping,

> I tested the News Archive Browser.  Using the default directory for the
> archive in User Preferences, I copied the archive files from D5 to D6.
> The NAB came up OK, but when I tried to sort by date, I got a bounds error
> on a date string that is too short for the index being used:

That's strange, I don't see any error when sorting.  The method in question
is just converting a String from an article's header, created using a fixed
format when I compile the archive, into a TimeStamp so it shouldn't cause
any problem.

About the only thing I can think of is that something in your archive files
has got corrupted - as the comment mentions, defensive error checking is non
existent in that method :-).

Can you let me know the contents of the #raw instanceVariable for the
NewsArchiveArticle that causes the walkback.  I can then have a look at the
header that caused the problem and see if there is anything unusual about
it.

Thanks for letting me know

Ian

Re: Updated goodies: problem with News Archive Browser

Ian Bartholomew-20
> Can you let me know the contents of the #raw instanceVariable for the
> NewsArchiveArticle that causes the walkback.

Sorry, I meant the three header lines at the start of the #raw instVar, I
don't need the whole message.

Ian

Re: Updated goodies: problem with News Archive Browser

Shaping-2
Here's the NewArchiveArticle #raw variable in which the bounds error
The physical location of this folder is specified in the DSDN option
"archiveFolder"

This folder is where you should store any news archive text files that you
have downloaded from the news archive at http://www.iandb.org.uk.  A
complete collection of all the posts made to the various Dolphin newsgroups
and mailing lists is available.

'

Let me know if you need more data.

Shaping

"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

>> Can you let me know the contents of the #raw instanceVariable for the
>> NewsArchiveArticle that causes the walkback.
>
> Sorry, I meant the three header lines at the start of the #raw instVar, I
> don't need the whole message.
>
> Ian

Re: Updated goodies: problem with News Archive Browser

Ian Bartholomew-20
Shaping,

> Here's the NewArchiveArticle #raw variable in which the bounds error
> occurred:

Thanks for posting that.

The problem is caused by a old "dummy" message file that I included in both
DSDN and NAB so that the article list wasn't completely empty when the app
was first opened.  The format used in the headers of that message is
slightly different (a space instead of a tab) and was causing the error.

I've added a test to NAB so that it recovers a little more gracefully if it
comes across a #sent header it can't parse.

The easiest way for you to fix it is to remove the offending file from your
archive.  Just sort the text files in the archive folder by size and, after
checking I suppose :-), remove the smallest one.  NB There might be two
small files as both DSDN and NAB had one of the dummy messages.

Thanks a lot for the feedback

Ian

Re: Updated goodies: problem with News Archive Browser

Shaping-2
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Shaping,
>
>> Here's the NewArchiveArticle #raw variable in which the bounds error
>> occurred:
>
> Thanks for posting that.
>
> The problem is caused by a old "dummy" message file that I included in
> both DSDN and NAB so that the article list wasn't completely empty when
> the app was first opened.  The format used in the headers of that message
> is slightly different (a space instead of a tab) and was causing the
> error.
>
> I've added a test to NAB so that it recovers a little more gracefully if
> it comes across a #sent header it can't parse.

Should I download a new zip file, to get the fix?, or perhaps a new set of
archive files with the dummy message made formatted like the others?  I
normally use DSDN, but don't know whether Bill has reworked it for D6.

Shaping

Re: Updated goodies: problem with News Archive Browser

Ian Bartholomew-20
Shaping,

> Should I download a new zip file, to get the fix?, or perhaps a new set of
> archive files with the dummy message made formatted like the others?

There's really no point.  That article was in a file on it's own and is
really immaterial to the operation of NAB or DSDN.  It was just there so
that _something_ would show if either browser was started without having
anything downloaded.

If you really want it just edit the file so that the #sent header line has
two space characters after the colon, rather than the single space.  You
might want to change the text in the message as well, the URL is wrong.

> I normally use DSDN, but don't know whether Bill has reworked it for D6.

It had the same problem as NAB, not surprising since the code was the same
:-).  I'm sure that Bill won't mind that I've put the updated X6 version of
DSDN, including the fix I mentioned, on my web site at

http://www.idb.me.uk/files/dsdnx6.zip

It's 32 KiB long.  If anyone else wants a copy then feel free.... the site
has got 9900 MiB of bandwidth to use up before the end of the month :-(

Ian

Re: Updated goodies: problem with News Archive Browser

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Ian,

> It had the same problem as NAB, not surprising since the code was the same
> :-).  I'm sure that Bill won't mind that I've put the updated X6 version of
> DSDN, including the fix I mentioned, on my web site at

No problem at all - thanks for doing it!

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

DSDN 6/NAB 6

Shaping-2
Bill/Ian:

Some obvious things you likely already know about:

- Change the DSDN 6 package comment to read '6.0' instead of '5.02'
- Title should be changed to 'DSDN 6'
- Maybe get rid of spurious entries in years 1904 and 2038.

Otherwise, DSDN 6 and NAB 6 both seem to work correctly.  Thanks.

Shaping