Updated syntax postcard

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

for the Wikipedia article I prepared an updated version of Phar syntax postcard:

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: Updated syntax postcard

Peter Uhnak
This is a really nice overview!

Two "p" characters are rendered weirdly for me (Chrome 66), but the remaining "p"s are good. The zoom level doesn't matter.

Could you please include keyword message with multiple parameters? From my teaching this always confuses people. :)

And if you want it to be really complete (maybe you've just missed these): annotation for block (only block parameter is annotated), and mayhaps definition of unary/binary message?

Peter

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

for the Wikipedia article I prepared an updated version of Phar syntax postcard:

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: Updated syntax postcard

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Cool & beautiful !

The $p are good for me.

I agree with the other remarks.

I would love a big A4 landscape version.

> On 1 Jun 2018, at 13:20, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This is a really nice overview!
>
> Two "p" characters are rendered weirdly for me (Chrome 66), but the remaining "p"s are good. The zoom level doesn't matter.
>
> <image.png>
> Could you please include keyword message with multiple parameters? From my teaching this always confuses people. :)
>
> And if you want it to be really complete (maybe you've just missed these): annotation for block (only block parameter is annotated), and mayhaps definition of unary/binary message?
>
> Peter
>
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for the Wikipedia article I prepared an updated version of Phar syntax postcard:
>
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Pharo_syntax_postcard.svg
>
> Cheers,
> -- Pavel

Re: Updated syntax postcard

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Pavel Krivanek-3 wrote
> syntax postcard:

Ha ha, I love the real-postcard look!

Two things:
1. "metod name" at the top is missing an $h
2. Might it be worthwhile to add something like "compile-time" to "literal
array" to better distinguish from "array generate at runtime"?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Updated syntax postcard

Esteban A. Maringolo
Thank you! It's really nice!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Updated syntax postcard

Tudor Girba-2
Excellent work!

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Re: Updated syntax postcard

philippeback
Super light gray on white is hard to see for me (and I guess other vision challenged people).

Other than that, yes, definitely great.

Phil

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018, 13:21 Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a really nice overview!

Two "p" characters are rendered weirdly for me (Chrome 66), but the remaining "p"s are good. The zoom level doesn't matter.

Could you please include keyword message with multiple parameters? From my teaching this always confuses people. :)

And if you want it to be really complete (maybe you've just missed these): annotation for block (only block parameter is annotated), and mayhaps definition of unary/binary message?

Peter

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 12:56 PM, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

for the Wikipedia article I prepared an updated version of Phar syntax postcard:

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: Updated syntax postcard

philippeback
I would love to see:

select: thenCollect:

Or at lease collect: since this is where we do have more power.

do: yeah but not that inspiring.

Phil

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018, 12:57 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

for the Wikipedia article I prepared an updated version of Phar syntax postcard:

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: Updated syntax postcard

philippeback
I see & but not

aBool and: [ ...]

The latter is more in line with the actual usage, no?

Phil

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018, 12:57 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

for the Wikipedia article I prepared an updated version of Phar syntax postcard:

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: Updated syntax postcard

Ben Coman
On 1 June 2018 at 18:56, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

for the Wikipedia article I prepared an updated version of Phar syntax postcard:

Looks cool.  I thought all the offtake lines made it a bit busy,
so I thought I'd see what it looked like without them.
Please review the result attached.

Along the way, I ended up making a few other changes..

a. Rather than using  #'I''m'  as the symbol-string,
the similarity of  #'a'  to  #a  better highlights the differences.
'I''m'  is better as the string example since its not mixing in the concept symbols.

b. The word "generated" associates strongly with code generation
"runtime created array" seemed better, or just "runtime array".

c. The description "boolean literal" and "nil literal" contain redundant information.

btw, a few questions...

d. Is a symbol a literal?

e. Are scaled decimals, floating points, strings and characters all literals?
Their color is different from boolean, nil and integer literals.

cheers -ben

Pharo_syntax_postcard-btc.svg (836K) Download Attachment

Re: Updated syntax postcard

Ben Coman

On 2 June 2018 at 23:26, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I had a go at Phil's suggestions to add  #select:thenCollect
and  #and:  ,  which stimulated a few other changes - see attached.

but I screwed up some of the line weights, and not yet sure the best way to fix them.

cheers -ben

Pharo_syntax_postcard-btc4.svg (897K) Download Attachment