Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip)

Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip)

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

After a whole batch of changes, I'v put an updated trunk image up at

        http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip

Loads of great new stuff in there as you can see from the summary of
changes below. Since the summary is getting a bit too long for my taste,
I'm starting to only include the three most recent updates in email - if
you want the full list please download the image and refer to the full
summary in the "What's new" window. And if people disagree with this
policy I'd be happy to change it again - I'm just trying to cut down on
the spam factor a little. So let me know what you think.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

(for the full history refer to the "What's new" section in the image)

[------------------------- updated 01/02/10 ---------------------------]

NanoTraits
----------
A new traits implementation has been added. The implementation is
significantly smaller and simpler than the old version and can be
unloaded and reloaded without loss of information (i.e., traits
flattened during unload are restored during traits reloading). To unload
traits simply execute:
        Trait unloadTraits.
To restore traits load the traits package from the repository at
source.squeak.org.

TextDiffBuilder
---------------
A new algorithm for producing text diffs has been added. The algorithm
is smaller, faster, and provides better results compared to the previous
implementation.

Source / Changes Files
----------------------
Sources and changes files are no longer limited to 32MB max size.
ExpandedSourceFileArray provides an implementation for source files of
arbitrary length, based on the CompiledMethodTrailer changes.

CompiledMethodTrailer
---------------------
Handling compiled method trailers for storing source code has been
generalized. The new representation deals more explicitly with various
forms of encodings (source pointer, temps-only, etc) and has room for
future extensions (i.e., retrieval from other sources).

Future Messages
---------------
Support for the future/future: keywords has been added. Future messages
enable sending messaging at a later point in time. Timed futures allow
sending messages a specific number of miliseconds into the future,
futures without arguments are executed at the earliest convenience. For
example a message like:

MyMorph>>mouseDown: event
        self color: Color red.
        (self future: 1000) color: Color white.

will turn the given morph red and one second later back to white.

[------------------------- updated 12/12/09 ---------------------------]

Image Version
-------------
The new version scheme is now active. The image version number is the
sum of all package versions. A stub package "Squeak-Version" has been
added to define the "base" number for the version. This image is
designated as "Squeak3.11.alpha".

Morphic
-------
New window resizers better in tone with the general UI look. A new
UserDialogBoxMorph for simple modal inform/confirm dialogs.

Files
-----
StandardFilestream now performs read-buffering, dramatically speading up
some operations like "Object compileAll" (2x improvement) as well as
various other operations (scanning change lists etc).

Numbers
-------
Implementations for Float #predecessor, #successor etc. Update to the
compact class indexes of LargePositiveInteger and LargeNegativeInteger
for Cog. Additional tests for all of the new features.

Exceptions
----------
OutOfMemory has been added as a standard exception being signaled when
an allocation fails, replacing the previous signaling of the low space
semaphore. Improved #ensure: performance avoiding remote context
manipulation (via #tempAt:put:) in the default case.

SUnit
-----
Faster execution by speeding up some low level operations (like
allTestSelectors). Fixes for thumbnail creation which would leave open
morphs around after some tests.

Kernel
------
The default hash for all objects is now a scaled identity has to avoid
extreme degradations in speed when using large numbers of objects
without explicit hash implementation in Dictionary and Set.

[------------------------- updated 11/28/09 ---------------------------]

Menu Bar
--------
Squeak now has a standard menu bar to make it easier to discover its
contents for new users, replacing the World menu as the prime source for
launching tools and other activities.

Compiler
--------
Support for literal ByteArray syntax has been added. Byte arrays can now
be written as #[1 2 3 "..."] instead of #(1 2 3) asByteArray  avoiding
the need for conversion and a more compact default representation.

Numbers
-------
Some prime related changed: Integer>>isPrime is now a deterministic
test, Integer>>isProbablyPrime a probabilistic variant. Intger>>highBit
and Integer>>lowBit have been sped up significantly.

CRLF Handling
-------------
CR and LF are now treated interchangeably in rendering. Both cause a
line break and both are not displayed. Various line related methods have
been updated to deal with both CR and LF.

Collections
-----------
Dictionary is no longer a subclass of Set. HashedCollection is the new
superclass for both Set and Dictionary. Conversion of OrderedCollection
and SortedCollection to Arrays has been sped up significantly.

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip)

vaidasd
Traits unload not worked for me. Log is attached.
Vaidas

SqueakDebug.log (6K) Download Attachment

Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:
> Traits unload not worked for me. Log is attached.

Thanks for trying. Can you add a line in Trait unloadTraits after:

        Behavior compileSilently: 'updateTraits' classified: 'accessing'.

that says:

        ClassDescritpion removeSelectorSilently: #updateTraits.

and try again? Your log looks like it's caused by not removing
updateTraits in time so this should fix it. Let me know if this works
and I'll update the script when the server is back up.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Folks -
>>
>> After a whole batch of changes, I'v put an updated trunk image up at
>>
>>        http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip
>>
>> Loads of great new stuff in there as you can see from the summary of changes
>> below. Since the summary is getting a bit too long for my taste, I'm
>> starting to only include the three most recent updates in email - if you
>> want the full list please download the image and refer to the full summary
>> in the "What's new" window. And if people disagree with this policy I'd be
>> happy to change it again - I'm just trying to cut down on the spam factor a
>> little. So let me know what you think.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas
>>
>> (for the full history refer to the "What's new" section in the image)
>>
>> [------------------------- updated 01/02/10 ---------------------------]

Re: Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip)

vaidasd
next try please, it fails

SqueakDebug.log (5K) Download Attachment

Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:
> next try please, it fails

Hold on. Your debug log shows that you were trying to run the unload
again after it previously failed. This won't work because some methods
are already unloaded. If the unload doesn't complete you'll have to quit
the image and try again from a functioning state (and that's also one of
the many reasons why shrinking is in general inferior to building things
up from first principles). In this case you'll have to go back to a
functioning state first, then apply the patch that I sent to you and
then try the unload again.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:
>>> Traits unload not worked for me. Log is attached.
>> Thanks for trying. Can you add a line in Trait unloadTraits after:
>>
>>        Behavior compileSilently: 'updateTraits' classified: 'accessing'.
>>
>> that says:
>>
>>        ClassDescritpion removeSelectorSilently: #updateTraits.
>>
>> and try again? Your log looks like it's caused by not removing updateTraits
>> in time so this should fix it. Let me know if this works and I'll update the
>> script when the server is back up.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip)

garduino
2010/1/2 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:

> Folks -
>
> After a whole batch of changes, I'v put an updated trunk image up at
>
>        http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip
>
> Loads of great new stuff in there as you can see from the summary of changes
> below. Since the summary is getting a bit too long for my taste, I'm
> starting to only include the three most recent updates in email - if you
> want the full list please download the image and refer to the full summary
> in the "What's new" window. And if people disagree with this policy I'd be
> happy to change it again - I'm just trying to cut down on the spam factor a
> little. So let me know what you think.

I like the full list of changes on the "What's new" window. I think
that is the correct place to be.

Cheers.
Germán.

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip)

Igor Stasenko
2010/1/3 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/1/2 Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
>> Folks -
>>
>> After a whole batch of changes, I'v put an updated trunk image up at
>>
>>        http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip
>>
>> Loads of great new stuff in there as you can see from the summary of changes
>> below. Since the summary is getting a bit too long for my taste, I'm
>> starting to only include the three most recent updates in email - if you
>> want the full list please download the image and refer to the full summary
>> in the "What's new" window. And if people disagree with this policy I'd be
>> happy to change it again - I'm just trying to cut down on the spam factor a
>> little. So let me know what you think.
>>

> I like the full list of changes on the "What's new" window. I think
> that is the correct place to be.

+1

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hold on. Your debug log shows that you were trying to run the unload again
> after it previously failed. This won't work because some methods are already
> unloaded.

One needs to unload Trait tests first in order to get Undeclared empty;
and perharps  ClassDescription>> allTraits shall not belong to Traits
package, since this method is needed by ChangeSet, otherwise one gets
error when tries to delete  method cathegory.
regards,
Vaidas

Vaidotas Didžbalis wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hold on. Your debug log shows that you were trying to run the unload again
>> after it previously failed. This won't work because some methods are already
>> unloaded.
>
> One needs to unload Trait tests first in order to get Undeclared empty;

I'm not sure what you mean here. There should be no Undeclared variables
  resulting from traits. Can you try to execute Undeclared
removeUnreferencedKeys first and if they're still not empty send us the
Undeclared variables you see?

> and perharps  ClassDescription>> allTraits shall not belong to Traits
> package, since this method is needed by ChangeSet, otherwise one gets
> error when tries to delete  method cathegory.

Good catch, thank you. I've added a backstop for that in Behavior.

Again, thanks for testing!

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip)

K. K. Subramaniam
On Saturday 02 January 2010 07:02:10 pm Andreas Raab wrote:
> if
> you want the full list please download the image and refer to the full
> summary in the "What's new" window. And if people disagree with this
> policy I'd be happy to change it again - I'm just trying to cut down on
> the spam factor a little. So let me know what you think.
Brief entries in mail helps people searching online. Is it possible to make
"What's new" accessible to search engines too?

Thanks for the consolidation. A nice new year gift .. Subbu

K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> On Saturday 02 January 2010 07:02:10 pm Andreas Raab wrote:
>> if
>> you want the full list please download the image and refer to the full
>> summary in the "What's new" window. And if people disagree with this
>> policy I'd be happy to change it again - I'm just trying to cut down on
>> the spam factor a little. So let me know what you think.
> Brief entries in mail helps people searching online. Is it possible to make
> "What's new" accessible to search engines too?

We could post it on the board blog if the board agrees.
Would that be useful?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip)

Bert Freudenberg
On 03.01.2010, at 15:06, Andreas Raab wrote:

> K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
>> On Saturday 02 January 2010 07:02:10 pm Andreas Raab wrote:
>>> if you want the full list please download the image and refer to the full summary in the "What's new" window. And if people disagree with this policy I'd be happy to change it again - I'm just trying to cut down on the spam factor a little. So let me know what you think.
>> Brief entries in mail helps people searching online. Is it possible to make "What's new" accessible to search engines too?
>
> We could post it on the board blog if the board agrees.
> Would that be useful?

I'd rather put it near the download page as change log.

- Bert -

On Sunday 03 January 2010 07:36:37 pm Andreas Raab wrote:
> > Brief entries in mail helps people searching online. Is it possible to
> > make  "What's new" accessible to search engines too?
>
> We could post it on the board blog if the board agrees.
> Would that be useful?
Yes, please. Any place where it can be indexed by search engines. Text
messages embedded in images disappear into the dark web :-(.

Subbu

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 03.01.2010, at 15:06, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
>>> Brief entries in mail helps people searching online. Is it possible to make "What's new" accessible to search engines too?
>> We could post it on the board blog if the board agrees.
>> Would that be useful?
>
> I'd rather put it near the download page as change log.

The advantage with the blog is more external visibility. Since the board
blog is aggregated, we allow people to see progress in Squeak who are
not on the Squeak mailing list.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 03.01.2010, at 15:31, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> We could post it on the board blog if the board agrees.
>>> Would that be useful?
>> I'd rather put it near the download page as change log.
>
> The advantage with the blog is more external visibility. Since the board blog is aggregated, we allow people to see progress in Squeak who are not on the Squeak mailing list.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Meinetwegen ;)

- Bert -

Re: Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-8720-alpha.zip)

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03.01.2010, at 15:31, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> We could post it on the board blog if the board agrees.
>>> Would that be useful?
>> I'd rather put it near the download page as change log.
>
> The advantage with the blog is more external visibility. Since the board blog is aggregated, we allow people to see progress in Squeak who are not on the Squeak mailing list.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Meinetwegen ;)

Alle beide?

(I'm using the excellent and free BeoLingus German-English dictionary in its Mac form)

- Bert -

On 03.01.2010, at 19:46, Eliot Miranda wrote:

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03.01.2010, at 15:31, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> We could post it on the board blog if the board agrees.
>>> Would that be useful?
>> I'd rather put it near the download page as change log.
>
> The advantage with the blog is more external visibility. Since the board blog is aggregated, we allow people to see progress in Squeak who are not on the Squeak mailing list.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Meinetwegen ;)

Alle beide?

(I'm using the excellent and free BeoLingus German-English dictionary in its Mac form)

Hmm, can't reverse-translate what you meant there. What I wrote meant roughly "go ahead, I don't mind".

- Bert -

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:55 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03.01.2010, at 19:46, Eliot Miranda wrote:

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03.01.2010, at 15:31, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> We could post it on the board blog if the board agrees.
>>> Would that be useful?
>> I'd rather put it near the download page as change log.
>
> The advantage with the blog is more external visibility. Since the board blog is aggregated, we allow people to see progress in Squeak who are not on the Squeak mailing list.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Meinetwegen ;)

Alle beide?

(I'm using the excellent and free BeoLingus German-English dictionary in its Mac form)

Hmm, can't reverse-translate what you meant there. What I wrote meant roughly "go ahead, I don't mind".

:)  Do both.  Have a blog and a change log.  Both are useful.  BTW, BeoLingus translates Meinetwegen as either

Meinetwegen!

I don't mind!

For all I care!

For my sake!

or

meinetwegen

in my behalf

meinetwegen{adv}um meinetwillen; mir zuliebe

for my sake

- Bert -