Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

123

Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

With lots of good stuff going in, I've put an updated trunk image up on:

     http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip

As an experiment, I've also put up an image that has all known packages
unloaded:

     http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.11-9622-core.zip

The latter marks an imporant mile stone for me - it's the first Squeak
image below 10MB since Squeak 3.6 (I think).

The summary of latest changes is below.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

(for the full history refer to the "What's new" section in the image)

[------------------------- updated 03/06/10 ---------------------------]

SmalltalkImage refactoring
--------------------------
SystemDictionary and SmalltalkImage have been refactored. Smalltalk is
now an instance of SmalltalkImage, representing a facade for system-wide
queries and actions. SmalltalkImage contains a global environment, an
instance of SystemDictionary, which the environment used by classes.
Thus, SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk, Object environment ==
Smalltalk globals.

Tools
-----
MessageTrace, a subclass of MessageSet has been added. MessageTrace
allows senders and implementors to be viewed without opening new windows
all the time.  It utilizes a new AlternatePluggableListMorphOfMany,
which allows quick and easy customization of the list. A quick adoption
of DependencyBrowser has been added allowing to browse dependencies
between packages.

Unicode Leading Char
--------------------
The default leading char is now 0 instead of 255 making Unicode - UTF
conversions stable. See also discussion at
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-August/138915.html

New Cleanup protocol
--------------------
A new general cleanup protocol has been added. The cleanUp protocol
takes an optional argument to indicate whether we're doing an aggressive
cleanup (which involves deleting projects, change sets, and possibly
other destructive actions) or a more gentle cleanup that's only supposed
to clean out transient caches.

Compiler
--------
Selectors including minus are now parsed correctly, for example 3 <- 4
is now parsed as (3) <- (4) instead of (3) < (-4). White space is no
longer allowed after an unary minus to denote a negative number literal.

Modularity
----------
MVC is now reloadable and has been added to the list of unloadable
packages in Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages.

Syntax Highlighting
-------------------
Syntax highlighting is now supported in both Monticello tools and
workspaces. In workspaces it can be turned off explicitly in the window
menu if the workspace doesn't hold code.

Kernel
------
Unwind blocks are now run to completion if a process is in the process
of executing an unwind when it is terminated. This prevents
unpredictable unwind handling in some edge cases.

Files
-----
DirectoryEntry has been refactored. It is no longer in the collection
hierarchy, knows its own directory, and has been split into
DirectoryEntryFile and DirectoryEntryDirectory to deal with the
differences between files and directories. Added a terse,
platform-independent way of expressing FileDirectory concatenation via
the #/ operator has been added:

                myFileDirectory / 'subDir' / 'sub-subDir'

[------------------------- updated 02/13/10 ---------------------------]

Generators
----------
A Generator transforms a callback interface into a stream interface.
This is helpful when a producer provides output in form of a callback
(block) but a consumer expects the input to be a stream. A Generator
transforms one interface into the other, for example:

     | generator |
     generator := Generator on:[:g| Integer primesUpTo: 10000
do:[:prime| g yield: prime]].
     [generator atEnd] whileFalse:[Transcript cr; show: generator next].

Number parsing
--------------
New number parsing facilities are available. NumberParser and its
subclasses provide support for parsing and building numbers from strings
and streams. NumberParser offers an extensible framework for different
numeric formats.

Text Editor improvements
------------------------
The auto-indent preference has been restored. Indent and outdent now
function with LF as well. Cmd-1 through Cmd-4 (Alt-1 through Alt-4) can
now be used to paste method arguments directly in code.

Installer update
----------------
Installer has been updated to the latest version which includes support
for automatically parsing mantis bug reports and operating on them, for
example:

     Installer mantis bugsAll select:[:bug| bug status = 'feedback'].

Sets with nil
-------------
Sets can now contain any element, including nil. This is achieved by
adding the ability to wrap elements when storing them in a set which can
be useful for other objects (like proxies) as well.

[------------------------- updated 01/23/10 ---------------------------]

Modularity
----------
The following packages have been made reloadable: ReleaseBuilder,
ScriptLoader, 311Deprecated, 39Deprecated, Universes, SMLoader, SMBase,
Installer-Core, VersionNumberTests, VersionNumber, Services-Base,
PreferenceBrowser, Nebraska, CollectionsTests, GraphicsTests,
KernelTests, MorphicTests, MultilingualTests, NetworkTests, ToolsTests,
TraitsTests, XML-Parser, Traits, SystemChangeNotification-Tests,
FlexibleVocabularies, EToys, Protocols, Tests, SUnitGUI. To unload all
of these, execute:

     Smalltalk unloadAllKnownPackages.

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Andreas,

Am 06.03.2010 um 21:20 schrieb Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
> As an experiment, I've also put up an image that has all known
> packages unloaded:

excellent, thank you!

Best,

Michael

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/6/10 6:30 PM, "Michael Haupt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> Am 06.03.2010 um 21:20 schrieb Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>:
>> As an experiment, I've also put up an image that has all known
>> packages unloaded:
>
> excellent, thank you!
>
> Best,
>
> Michael

But I have first and experimenting from 14 february in
http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/SL3.11-9375-alpha.zip

If all I do is ignored and re discovered by Andreas...

And SL3 was stopped because some friend says I should dedicate to FunSqueak.

What have his third week of growing next Monday with more surprises you ever
dream.

I can't do all alone, but upset me things I say for years and all I got was
stones , this days is "the thing to have to be elected"

Edgar

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

radoslav hodnicak

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

> As an experiment, I've also put up an image that has all known packages
> unloaded:
>
>    http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.11-9622-core.zip

What does happen when you hit "Load code updates" in such image? (not on
my squeak machine here atm, can't try it myself). Or in my own image,
should I choose to unload some packages. Is the update mechanism smart
enough to not load new versions of packages that aren't installed?

rado

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, radoslav hodnicak wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> As an experiment, I've also put up an image that has all known packages
>> unloaded:
>>
>>    http://ftp.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak3.11-9622-core.zip
>>

> What does happen when you hit "Load code updates" in such image? (not on my
> squeak machine here atm, can't try it myself). Or in my own image, should I
> choose to unload some packages. Is the update mechanism smart enough to not
> load new versions of packages that aren't installed?

It failed for me, because of lack of Traits, but I'm sure it can be fixed.

Levente

On 3/6/10 6:20 PM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The latter marks an imporant mile stone for me - it's the first Squeak
> image below 10MB since Squeak 3.6 (I think).

MinimalMorphic is 7.3 Mb

On 3/6/10 6:44 PM, "radoslav hodnicak" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What does happen when you hit "Load code updates" in such image? (not on
> my squeak machine here atm, can't try it myself). Or in my own image,
> should I choose to unload some packages. Is the update mechanism smart
> enough to not load new versions of packages that aren't installed?
>
> rado

As said I address this in SL3, but as always, was rude ignored until some
else do this

Edgar

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

Michael Haupt-3
Edgar,

Am 06.03.2010 um 21:05 schrieb "Edgar J. De Cleene" <[hidden email]
 >:
> But I have first and experimenting from 14 february in
> http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/SL3.11-9375-alpha.zip
>
> If all I do is ignored and re discovered by Andreas...

I am really sorry: I missed your e-mail.

Best,

Michael

On 3/6/10 7:09 PM, "Michael Haupt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am really sorry: I missed your e-mail.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael

Very happy the base or core or "Mendieta" for nobody feels hurt about the
name is on top of list now.

A long way is before us.

FunSqueak is teaching a lot and Mendieta have more to learn.
So how we got from Mendieta to FunSqueak without too much troubles ?

My zip have new SqueakV3dot11.sources at the point I do Smalltalk
unloadAllKnownPackages..

The lots of changes Andreas do and bravo for he take Squeak to another
level.

Must have new sources and must be the default thing.

We are serious about modularization ?

Or need some Pharopata tell us we are wrong for made changes ?

Edgar

P.S Also I send friendly private mail to you (February 10) for all work
together.....

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

Nicolas Cellier
2010/3/6 Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> On 3/6/10 6:44 PM, "radoslav hodnicak" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What does happen when you hit "Load code updates" in such image? (not on
>> my squeak machine here atm, can't try it myself). Or in my own image,
>> should I choose to unload some packages. Is the update mechanism smart
>> enough to not load new versions of packages that aren't installed?
>>
>> rado
>

> As said I address this in SL3, but as always, was rude ignored until some
> else do this
>
> Edgar

Hi Edgar,
Maybe you could inject the knowledge you acquired in trunk contributions ?
If you're unsure, use the inbox.
After all, SL is just another fork, you cannot blame us to not try
every fork, there are already so many...

Nicolas

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/6/10 7:56 PM, "Nicolas Cellier" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Edgar,
> Maybe you could inject the knowledge you acquired in trunk contributions ?
> If you're unsure, use the inbox.
> After all, SL is just another fork, you cannot blame us to not try
> every fork, there are already so many...
>
> Nicolas

I don't blame people.
If my message is DNU , is only my fault.

And repeat, I very happy the thing begins to focus to modular and smaller.

What I said is have something needing polish, not I have the last working
solution.

The evolution from 3.6 times as I saw is.

SqueakLight
Pavel first works.
3.10 as the first image without several packages
Pavel working behind us and doing his magic for his kernel and several more
images.
Remember the Blue pill affair ?
Was because we try to get synchronization with Pavel works.
ReleaseBuilderFor3dot11 with the seeds Andreas took and polish.
Ralph go, I was kicked in the ass.
Some come and do nothing for two years.
SqueakLightII have his page in swiki and his experiments long time in ftp
Andreas comes and the trunk began
I retake MinimalMorphic and reach 7.3 mb , also have many derivated and
working images with this base, some crude but working

Now Andreas said he have a 10 mb under image for the first time???.
But is SqueakLightII well done , as several times I said.

Achiles still don't reach the slow Rosarina turtle ...but is closer each
time and I was very happy.

Now I was nominated ReleaseTeam manager for any we do next and say yes.

4.1 have my expertise and this time do not is a fork.
And I hope all help good Squeakers could give to me.

And for this reason I want badly have a Board seat.

You want modular ? If the answer is yes vote me.
If I go wild , we have 6 more super fine Squeakers ready to stop any
nonsense ...

Edgar

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

garduino
I can attest that Edgar run the Pier of SqueakRos with Minimal with no problems.

2010/3/6 Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> On 3/6/10 6:20 PM, "Andreas Raab" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The latter marks an imporant mile stone for me - it's the first Squeak
>> image below 10MB since Squeak 3.6 (I think).
>
> MinimalMorphic is 7.3 Mb

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 07:50:47PM -0200, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> 4.1 have my expertise and this time do not is a fork.
> And I hope all help good Squeakers could give to me.
>
> And for this reason I want badly have a Board seat.

Bravo, and you will have my vote!

Dave

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

keith1y

On 7 Mar 2010, at 02:21, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 07:50:47PM -0200, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>
>> 4.1 have my expertise and this time do not is a fork.
>> And I hope all help good Squeakers could give to me.
>>
>> And for this reason I want badly have a Board seat.
>
> Bravo, and you will have my vote!
>
> Dave

So Edgar,

now you feel need a board seat in order to move forward your
particular technical ideas?

Keith

On 3/7/10 1:09 AM, "keith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So Edgar,
>
> now you feel need a board seat in order to move forward your
> particular technical ideas?
>
> Keith

If you Keith was in the Board , maybe they don't throw away your valuable
work ?

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

Josh Gargus

On Mar 6, 2010, at 7:09 PM, keith wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2010, at 02:21, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 07:50:47PM -0200, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>>>
>>> 4.1 have my expertise and this time do not is a fork.
>>> And I hope all help good Squeakers could give to me.
>>>
>>> And for this reason I want badly have a Board seat.
>>
>> Bravo, and you will have my vote!
>>
>> Dave
>
> So Edgar,
>
> now you feel need a board seat in order to move forward your particular technical ideas?

I noticed this too, and thought it was odd.  Edgar, could you elaborate on why you feel it's necessary to be on the board to have your technical contributions incorporated into the trunk?  It doesn't seem necessary to me, but maybe I misunderstood something.

Cheers,
Josh

> Keith

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

vaidasd
Hello,

Thank you all for such a small image.

I interested in small MVC only image. If MVC is separated from Morphic, may there is suggestions on how one may try getting MVC only image?

Noticed bug in core image: I wanted to change fonts and after Alt+k on selected text in workspace I got attached walkback.

regards,
Vaidotas

SqueakDebug.log (5K) Download Attachment

On 3/7/10 6:14 AM, "Josh Gargus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed this too, and thought it was odd.  Edgar, could you elaborate on why
> you feel it's necessary to be on the board to have your technical
> contributions incorporated into the trunk?  It doesn't seem necessary to me,
> but maybe I misunderstood something.
>
> Cheers,
> Josh

I send tons of ignored messages, don't want more fights.
I was the ReleaseTeam manager as Andreas said?
Or not ?

If I was the manager , why don't have access to ftp 3.11 folders?
Or why my request to have access to  <http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/>
so I move all the compressed sources work I have in atspace don't was
answered ?

Keith sure could do more if he have a seat at his time.

And I need explain feelings ?
How could I explain life in Rosario without the talent of Roberto
Fontanarrosa ?

Me habia parecido que la inquisición termino, pero veo que siguen quemando a
los que pensamos distinto.

Edgar

On Mar 7, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/7/10 6:14 AM, "Josh Gargus" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I noticed this too, and thought it was odd.  Edgar, could you elaborate on why
>> you feel it's necessary to be on the board to have your technical
>> contributions incorporated into the trunk?  It doesn't seem necessary to me,
>> but maybe I misunderstood something.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Josh
>

> I send tons of ignored messages, don't want more fights.
> I was the ReleaseTeam manager as Andreas said?
> Or not ?
>
> If I was the manager , why don't have access to ftp 3.11 folders?
> Or why my request to have access to  <http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/>
> so I move all the compressed sources work I have in atspace don't was
> answered ?

I don't know anything about this, but now I understand where you're coming from.

> Keith sure could do more if he have a seat at his time.
>
> And I need explain feelings ?
> How could I explain life in Rosario without the talent of Roberto
> Fontanarrosa ?

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but let me guess...

I wasn't asking you to justify your feelings.  I skim over many messages on the list, so I wasn't aware of any of the circumstances that you mention above.

> Me habia parecido que la inquisición termino, pero veo que siguen quemando a
> los que pensamos distinto.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here, but it sounds eloquent :-)

Cheers,
Josh

> Edgar

Re: Updated trunk image (Squeak3.11-9622-alpha.zip)

garduino
Let me try to help on understanding Edgar feelings.

I think (correct me Edgar if I'm wrong) that Edgar thinks that his
contributions are mostly ignored (from years...) and
with a seat on the Board he can have more attention as well as more
possibilities of go to a modular, small image,
that is his goal from long long time.

Just my 0.02....

2010/3/7 Josh Gargus <[hidden email]>:

> On Mar 7, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>

>> On 3/7/10 6:14 AM, "Josh Gargus" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I noticed this too, and thought it was odd.  Edgar, could you elaborate on why
>>> you feel it's necessary to be on the board to have your technical
>>> contributions incorporated into the trunk?  It doesn't seem necessary to me,
>>> but maybe I misunderstood something.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Josh
>>

>> I send tons of ignored messages, don't want more fights.
>> I was the ReleaseTeam manager as Andreas said?
>> Or not ?
>>
>> If I was the manager , why don't have access to ftp 3.11 folders?
>> Or why my request to have access to  <http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/>
>> so I move all the compressed sources work I have in atspace don't was
>> answered ?
>

> I don't know anything about this, but now I understand where you're coming from.
>

>> Keith sure could do more if he have a seat at his time.
>>
>> And I need explain feelings ?
>> How could I explain life in Rosario without the talent of Roberto
>> Fontanarrosa ?
>

> I'm not sure what you're saying here, but let me guess...
>
> I wasn't asking you to justify your feelings.  I skim over many messages on the list, so I wasn't aware of any of the circumstances that you mention above.
>

>> Me habia parecido que la inquisición termino, pero veo que siguen quemando a
>> los que pensamos distinto.
>

> I have no idea what you're trying to say here, but it sounds eloquent :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>

>> Edgar

123