Updating Magritte Tutorial to not elicit complaints about deprecated functions being used...

Updating Magritte Tutorial to not elicit complaints about deprecated functions being used...

Rick Flower
Lukas et-al,

I figured I'd try to update the Magritte Tutorial on the VW side
(Magritte is now running well on VW care of yesterday's efforts --
Thanks!)  (and I'll see if I can move the changes over to Squeak if
there's interest) to no longer issue complaints about using deprecated
methods and was wondering if someone could point me in the right
direction for one of the updates as a sample..

Below is one of the complaining methods:

MADescription>>auto: aSelector label: aString priority: aNumber
    self deprecated: 'Obsolete, use instance side configuration methods.'.
    ^ self accessor: (MAAutoSelectorAccessor selector: aSelector) label:
aString priority: aNumber

Magritte.MAAddressModel>>descriptionCanton
    ^ (MASingleOptionDescription auto: 'canton' label: 'Canton'
priority: 40)
'Unterwalden' 'Glarus' 'Zug' 'Freiburg' 'Solothurn' 'Basel'
'Schaffhausen' 'Appenzell' 'St. Gallen' 'Graubunden' 'Aargau' 'Thurgau'
'Ticino' 'Vaud' 'Valais' 'Neuchatel' 'Geneve' 'Jura' );
        reference: MAStringDescription new;
        beSorted;
        yourself.

I tried converting the above #descriptionCanton to the following but it
didn't work -- perhaps I'm misinterpretting the object layout.. Any
suggestions?

descriptionCanton
" OLD CODE WAS:   ^ (MASingleOptionDescription auto: 'canton' label:
'Canton' priority: 40)"
    ^(self accessor: (MAAutoSelectorAccessor selector: 'canton' label:
'Canton' priority: 40))
'Unterwalden' 'Glarus' 'Zug' 'Freiburg' 'Solothurn' 'Basel'
'Schaffhausen' 'Appenzell' 'St. Gallen' 'Graubunden' 'Aargau' 'Thurgau'
'Ticino' 'Vaud' 'Valais' 'Neuchatel' 'Geneve' 'Jura' );
        reference: MAStringDescription new;
        beSorted;
        yourself.

Re: Updating Magritte Tutorial to not elicit complaints about deprecated functions being used...

Lukas Renggli-2
> I figured I'd try to update the Magritte Tutorial on the VW side
> (Magritte is now running well on VW care of yesterday's efforts --
> Thanks!)

Great news!

> (and I'll see if I can move the changes over to Squeak if
> there's interest) to no longer issue complaints about using deprecated
> methods and was wondering if someone could point me in the right
> direction for one of the updates as a sample..

Where do you get those warnings?

> Below is one of the complaining methods:
>
> MADescription>>auto: aSelector label: aString priority: aNumber
>     self deprecated: 'Obsolete, use instance side configuration
> methods.'.
>     ^ self accessor: (MAAutoSelectorAccessor selector: aSelector)
> label:
> aString priority: aNumber

Basically I expect all those ugly long constructor methods to be
split up in simple cascaded. I found that the code becomes much
easier to read like this. Please try the fixed version:

Name: Magritte-Tutorial-lr.5
Author: lr
Time: 14 July 2007, 9:22:09 am
UUID: 57bc0745-71f8-469d-aa5e-7e59d0ad8015
Ancestors: Magritte-Tutorial-lr.4

- fixed deprecated code

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> (and I'll see if I can move the changes over to Squeak if
>> there's interest) to no longer issue complaints about using deprecated
>> methods and was wondering if someone could point me in the right
>> direction for one of the updates as a sample..
>
> Where do you get those warnings?

I see then running the tutorial code on VW.. I see lots and lots of
those messages..

> Basically I expect all those ugly long constructor methods to be split
> up in simple cascaded. I found that the code becomes much easier to
> read like this. Please try the fixed version:

Cool.. I'll check it out..
Thanks!

Re: Updating Magritte Tutorial to not elicit complaints about deprecated functions being used...

Thomas Koschate-2
On 7/14/07, Rick Flower <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Basically I expect all those ugly long constructor methods to be split
> up in simple cascaded. I found that the code becomes much easier to
> read like this. Please try the fixed version:

Cool.. I'll check it out..
Thanks!

I've ported Magritte lr.230 and Magritte-Tutorial lr.5 over to VW.  They're in the public StORE.  Let me know of any issues.