Updating Pharo kernel

Andrei Stebakov
Is there a procedure similar to Squeak for updating to the latest kernel?

Re: Updating Pharo kernel

Stéphane Ducasse
yes :)
If you take an unstable image you can always select software update.
Now this is disable in dev images.
I suggest to use 1.2 if you want to fix the system

Stef

On Aug 20, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Andrei Stebakov wrote:

> Is there a procedure similar to Squeak for updating to the latest kernel?

Re: Updating Pharo kernel

Andrei Stebakov
But let's say I already have an image with a bunch of libraries
installed and tweaked so they work.
Is it possible to update only Pharo kernel so I can later use it with
CogVM (which needs some latest updates)?

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes :)
> If you take an unstable image you can always select software update.
> Now this is disable in dev images.
> I suggest to use 1.2 if you want to fix the system
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 20, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Andrei Stebakov wrote:
>
>> Is there a procedure similar to Squeak for updating to the latest kernel?

Re: Updating Pharo kernel

Miguel Cobá
El vie, 20-08-2010 a las 12:49 -0400, Andrei Stebakov escribió:
> But let's say I already have an image with a bunch of libraries
> installed and tweaked so they work.
> Is it possible to update only Pharo kernel so I can later use it with
> CogVM (which needs some latest updates)?

The problem with this is that carries the old squeak way to work. That
is, a image is used and modified everywhere without a way to reliably
reproduce the steps to rebuild the image. That's even worse when you
accidentally destroy or render your image unusable.
The modern way or the pharo way is to have everything in monticello
packages.
From there you can reload your code in any new image by just loading
your monticello packages in the new image.
Now, you can automate this procedure either:
- writing a script to evaluate in a workspace that uses Gofer or
Installer to fetch and install the set of packages
- (recommended) write your Metacello ConfigurationOfMyPackage where you
put the packages that comprise your application, plus any other
dependency that is needed for it to work. Metacello then uses gofer to
load all your code and its dependencies from anywhere, either locally or
remotely and build your image from a given new image.

This way, you can load your code in new images with just a do-it in a
workspace and to check if works correctly on newer images.

Cheers.

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > yes :)
> > If you take an unstable image you can always select software update.
> > Now this is disable in dev images.
> > I suggest to use 1.2 if you want to fix the system
> >
> > Stef
> >
> > On Aug 20, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Andrei Stebakov wrote:
> >
> >> Is there a procedure similar to Squeak for updating to the latest kernel?

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Updating Pharo kernel

Mariano Martinez Peck
pharo kernel or pharo core? they are different things ;)

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> yes :)
> If you take an unstable image you can always select software update.
> Now this is disable in dev images.
> I suggest to use 1.2 if you want to fix the system
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 20, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Andrei Stebakov wrote:
>
>> Is there a procedure similar to Squeak for updating to the latest kernel?

Re: Updating Pharo kernel

Andrei Stebakov
Where can I get 1.2 from? On the web page it says "not available yet."

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes :)
> If you take an unstable image you can always select software update.
> Now this is disable in dev images.
> I suggest to use 1.2 if you want to fix the system
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 20, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Andrei Stebakov wrote:
>
>> Is there a procedure similar to Squeak for updating to the latest kernel?

Re: Updating Pharo kernel

Stéphane Ducasse

> Where can I get 1.2 from? On the web page it says "not available yet."

indeed this is strange. You can find them on the fileserver link.
        https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299

Re: Updating Pharo kernel

Yes

andrei I think that what miguel is telling you is key. Having a reproducable process to load your code
is the best you can do to yourselves.

Stef

> El vie, 20-08-2010 a las 12:49 -0400, Andrei Stebakov escribió:
>> But let's say I already have an image with a bunch of libraries
>> installed and tweaked so they work.
>> Is it possible to update only Pharo kernel so I can later use it with
>> CogVM (which needs some latest updates)?
>
> The problem with this is that carries the old squeak way to work. That
> is, a image is used and modified everywhere without a way to reliably
> reproduce the steps to rebuild the image. That's even worse when you
> accidentally destroy or render your image unusable.
> The modern way or the pharo way is to have everything in monticello
> packages.
> From there you can reload your code in any new image by just loading
> your monticello packages in the new image.
> Now, you can automate this procedure either:
> - writing a script to evaluate in a workspace that uses Gofer or
> Installer to fetch and install the set of packages
> - (recommended) write your Metacello ConfigurationOfMyPackage where you
> put the packages that comprise your application, plus any other
> dependency that is needed for it to work. Metacello then uses gofer to
> load all your code and its dependencies from anywhere, either locally or
> remotely and build your image from a given new image.
>
> This way, you can load your code in new images with just a do-it in a
> workspace and to check if works correctly on newer images.
>
> Cheers.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> yes :)
>>> If you take an unstable image you can always select software update.
>>> Now this is disable in dev images.
>>> I suggest to use 1.2 if you want to fix the system
>>>
>>> Stef

> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Updating Pharo kernel

Andrei Stebakov
Got the 1.2 image. Failed to load
        Gofer new
                squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
                package:'ConfigurationOfO2';
        load.

         ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfO2) project version: '1.2') load: 'Dev'.

Also failed to load
Gofer new
                squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
                package: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside30';
        load.

        ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) project version:
'3.0.0-alpha5.15') load.

Which loaded well with Pharo 1.1. Well, I guess it's a development
image so this is expected...

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes
>
> andrei I think that what miguel is telling you is key. Having a reproducable process to load your code
> is the best you can do to yourselves.
>
> Stef
>

>> El vie, 20-08-2010 a las 12:49 -0400, Andrei Stebakov escribió:
>>> But let's say I already have an image with a bunch of libraries
>>> installed and tweaked so they work.
>>> Is it possible to update only Pharo kernel so I can later use it with
>>> CogVM (which needs some latest updates)?
>>
>> The problem with this is that carries the old squeak way to work. That
>> is, a image is used and modified everywhere without a way to reliably
>> reproduce the steps to rebuild the image. That's even worse when you
>> accidentally destroy or render your image unusable.
>> The modern way or the pharo way is to have everything in monticello
>> packages.
>> From there you can reload your code in any new image by just loading
>> your monticello packages in the new image.
>> Now, you can automate this procedure either:
>> - writing a script to evaluate in a workspace that uses Gofer or
>> Installer to fetch and install the set of packages
>> - (recommended) write your Metacello ConfigurationOfMyPackage where you
>> put the packages that comprise your application, plus any other
>> dependency that is needed for it to work. Metacello then uses gofer to
>> load all your code and its dependencies from anywhere, either locally or
>> remotely and build your image from a given new image.
>>
>> This way, you can load your code in new images with just a do-it in a
>> workspace and to check if works correctly on newer images.
>>
>> Cheers.

>> --
>> Miguel Cobá
>> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Updating Pharo kernel

Stéphane Ducasse
This is expected since 1.2 is unstable and changed a lot of things so it means that external packages
did not get yet migrated to 1.2. Normally migration happens in beta phase.

Stef