Updating Squeak 4.5 to Squeak 4.6

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

If there are only the latest packages in the Squeak 4.6 repository, there may be many important mcm-checkpoints (together with postLoad-migration-scripts) are missing. Updating a busy 4.5 image to 4.6 might fail easily.

Don't we want to support that?

Best,
Marcel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 to Squeak 4.6

Chris Muller-3
Hmmm....   It's a good question.  I, personally, have never wanted to
do that (upgrade 4.n ---> 4.n+1), because a new release image is the
best time to get a new clean image for my own applications to make
sure I can actually build inside the new image.

The only disadvantage I can see to your proposal is the duplicating
about 1000(?) mcz's to take up more space on disk..  unless making
soft links (hard links?) would solve that..?

On Sat, Jun 6, 2015 at 3:21 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, there.
>
> If there are only the latest packages in the Squeak 4.6 repository, there
> may be many important mcm-checkpoints (together with
> postLoad-migration-scripts) are missing. Updating a busy 4.5 image to 4.6
> might fail easily.
>
> Don't we want to support that?
>
> Best,
> Marcel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 to Squeak 4.6

marcel.taeumel
At the moment, 4.5 updates to 4.6 (trunk) just fine. I was wondering how our CI server could generate a working 4.6 release image based on an older release image.

However, I think there are no things running in the CI base image and thus it might just work out fine. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 to Squeak 4.6

Bert Freudenberg
On 07.06.2015, at 13:56, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At the moment, 4.5 updates to 4.6 (trunk) just fine. I was wondering how our
> CI server could generate a working 4.6 release image based on an older
> release image.
>
> However, I think there are no things running in the CI base image and thus
> it might just work out fine. :-)

We’ve never tried supporting a direct upgrade between releases. If someone wants to spend time on that then fine, but the only disadvantage of doing it via trunk updates is that it runs for a bit longer, right?

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 to Squeak 4.6

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 07.06.2015, at 13:56, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> At the moment, 4.5 updates to 4.6 (trunk) just fine. I was wondering how our
>> CI server could generate a working 4.6 release image based on an older
>> release image.
>>
>> However, I think there are no things running in the CI base image and thus
>> it might just work out fine. :-)
>
> We’ve never tried supporting a direct upgrade between releases. If someone wants to spend time on that then fine, but the only disadvantage of doing it via trunk updates is that it runs for a bit longer, right?
One of the easiest way to add this feature is to let the update process
stop at a given .mcm, and tag some .mcms as releases. That way we can use
the Trunk repository to upgrade from one release to another.

Levente

> - Bert -

Re: Updating Squeak 4.5 to Squeak 4.6

Eliot Miranda-2

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

On 07.06.2015, at 13:56, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

At the moment, 4.5 updates to 4.6 (trunk) just fine. I was wondering how our
CI server could generate a working 4.6 release image based on an older
release image.

However, I think there are no things running in the CI base image and thus
it might just work out fine. :-)

We’ve never tried supporting a direct upgrade between releases. If someone wants to spend time on that then fine, but the only disadvantage of doing it via trunk updates is that it runs for a bit longer, right?

One of the easiest way to add this feature is to let the update process stop at a given .mcm, and tag some .mcms as releases. That way we can use the Trunk repository to upgrade from one release to another.

I think you're also implying that a release can be defined by a specific update map right?  So we could have update-Squeak46.NNN.mcm and update.spur-Squeak50.NNN.mcm, which also allows supporting bug fix releases, e.g. update-Squeak461.NNN.mcm and update.spur-Squeak501.NNN.mcm.  I like this.

Levente

- Bert -
--
best,